Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cold cured in two days

Author Topic: Cold cured in two days
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I was coming down with a bad cold about a week ago when my throat started to itch and sure enough, I had one the next day and it was pretty bad and I just did not feel like getting up that morning. Because the cold was causing some body aches in addition to a stuffed nose and other discomfort, I took two full strength Ibuprofen tablets and by that afternoon, I felt great but I still felt the effects of the cold. I took two more Ibuprofen the following morning and the cold had totally vanished by that afternoon except for a running nose. The colds I have had usually last about a week and a half but I had one last year that stuck around over two weeks and that one was a miserable one. The only medication I had taken for previous colds was Vicks NyQuil before going to bed and all it did was give me a slight relief and allowed me to sleep. The cold was still there the next morning.

Up until now, I have been taking Ibuprofen for back aches I get every so often and have never used it for any thing else. Because the label of the medication said it was also good for the common cold, I decided to give it a try last week and imagine my surprise when it cured it in two days.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 03:18 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm the resident soon-to-be healthcare practitioner, this just an FYI but...

It treated the illness but didn't cure it. A cure would be something that kills the virus, thus ending the infection. But ibuprofen would help with stuff like fever and body aches; it treats symptoms and the associated inflammation. Treatment and cure are quite different terms in the medical field. [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I said Ibuprofen had cured my cold, I am pretty sure you are aware of the fact that I did not mean it in a technical sense but more in general, Chris.

-Claude

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 04:23 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I was just doing this as an FYI and giving an explanation on how it worked to help. [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 04:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I knew that, Chris. Thanks! [Smile]

-Claude

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2012 07:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Chris walked into the examination room with that look on his face would you run?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 08:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suggested caption for Chris's picture:

"Ewww, what have you got?!"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2012 03:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard we are making some pretty big strides in eradicating viruses. I'm not talking about getting rid of an existing cold, I'm talking about killing the viruses that cause them (and pretty much all other viruses)... forever. Think of it, no more colds. Ever. Not sure how far off this is. Don't get any hopes up yet.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-10-2012 05:04 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that would be great, last breakthrough of Medicine was Pennicillin...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-10-2012 03:18 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still feeling the after effects of my cold such as a running nose and mucus in the throat but except for that, I feel great. As Chris said,Ibuprofen does not cure a cold but it took away almost all the misery of the one I had last week and I am very happy about that. I do not know if you will get the same reaction like I did and took Ibuprofen when you get your next cold but it certainly would not hurt if you try.

-Claude

Doug Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2012 09:23 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several months ago, my employer had some coworkers and I on an out of town installation for several weeks. A cold took turns with some of us. When it was my turn with it, I remembered that chicken noodle soup was said to be a good cure. A resturaunt was running a quart special. A double order, an equal amount of sweet iced tea and a night's sleep, and it was gone! Even the mucous! Usually, the mucous gets thicker for a week or so till it's gone, but not this time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: