Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fire at the Electric Cinema, Notting Hill, London

Author Topic: Fire at the Electric Cinema, Notting Hill, London
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 02:48 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daily Telegraph
200 evacuated after blaze at historic Notting Hill cinema

Two hundred people had to be evacuated after a fire broke out in a historic cinema in London’s Notting Hill area.

Sixty firefighters and 12 fire engines were sent to The Electric cinema, on Portobello Road, after the blaze started at around 2.45pm on Saturday.

The cinema also has a restaurant and the fire is believed to have started in kitchen’s extractor fan system. It caused heavy smoke to billow out across the road’s market stalls.

The audience and diners had been evacuated from the premises by the time the crews arrived.

The firefighters brought the fire under control by 6pm and searched the smoke-filled building. They reported there had been no injuries and that there was little damage to the cinema.

Police set up a cordon and the road was closed to the public.

Jason Summers, 42, said: "I was walking along the road and I could hear these shouts. I looked up and there was smoke billowing out the building.

"It was really thick. You could smell it. Everyone inside was running out - just trying to get out as quickly as they could.

"I didn't see any fire or anyone injured. Everyone was evacuated pretty quickly.

"When I came back 30 minutes later there were fire crews there and they seemed to have the situation under control. Everyone had been evacuated and cordons had been put up.

"It's a shame because it's an iconic building and it had just been renovated."

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "Police were called at approximately 2.50pm today to the Electric Cinema on Portobello Road following reports of a fire.

"Officers, the London Fire Brigade, and the London Ambulance Service are in attendance.

"Neighboring buildings have been evacuated and several road closures remain in place."

The cinema was opened in 1911 and underwent a major refurbishment in 2001. It is run by Soho House, the company run by businessman Nick Jones, the husband of Kirsty Young, the broadcaster. It shows a mix of current releases and reruns of classic and cult films.

A spokesperson for Soho House said: "We can confirm that there was a fire this afternoon in Electric House which started within the brasserie kitchen.

"Staff acted quickly calling emergency services who were on-site immediately and all members and guests were safely evacuated with no injuries. An investigation is now being carried out and damage is being assessed."

Hope the damage isn't too bad and that they're back in business again quickly.

Interesting that the trouble started in the restaurant. I had exactly the same problem while working at City Screen, York, in 2000: a small fire started in a pizza oven in a restaurant unit in the same building. Smoke somehow got ingested into our air conditioning system, and, even if it's only a little bit of smoke, audiences quite understandably get very worried very quickly. No-one was in any danger from the fire itself (which was put out safely by the restaurant staff before the fire brigade arrived), but I was very relieved that no-one was hurt in what was a near stampede through the emergency exits when the alarm went off. It it had just been the alarm, it would have been a slow and reluctant evacuation, but because they could smell smoke, it was almost a stampede.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: