Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Gas turbine locomotives.

Author Topic: Gas turbine locomotives.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-05-2012 08:43 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've only ever had a few prototype ones here in the UK. The Great Western Railway ordered a couple which I don't think were delivered until after nationalisation, in 1948. They were quite different, 18000 had a single large combustion chamber, and burned heavy fuel oil after starting on light oil. 18100 burned light oil in something more like an aircraft engine. Both had electric transmission. The shell of 18000 still exists, the locomotive was returned to its makers, where the power plant was removed, and it was used for research purposes, it eventually returned to the UK, where it is now a static exhibit. 18100 was converted into a 25 kV ac electric locomotive, and eventually scrapped.

However, this was not the end of the story. Due to the high cost of imported oil a coal fired one was partly built. The power plant was built and run on test a few times but was not a success, and the locomotive was never completed.

They still didn't give up, the next attempt was GT3, a single ended design which looked rather like a streamlined steam locomotive. This actually had mechanical transmission. It ran on test for a while, but was too expensive to operate, and was eventually scrapped.

Somebody has built a 5" scale model of GT3, with an actual gas turbine power plant in it. I must find out where they're exhibiting it this year, and make a trip to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxwcLX9yLE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e_cvscqGHI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjkcTsLdw6M&NR=1&feature=fvwp

The first two clips show it demonstrated on rollers at two model engineering shows, and the third shows it actually moving.

We also had the APT (E), Advanced Passenger Train (Experimental),which was never intended to carry passengers. This still exists, as a static exhibit.

|  IP: Logged

Geoff Newitt
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2012 05:08 PM      Profile for Geoff Newitt   Email Geoff Newitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last couple of times I've taken the train to London, 18000 has been parked outside at Didcot Railway Centre - I'm sure that won't do it any good...

Without any power plant installed it's out of gauge - it arrived at Didcot by road.

I went to the Railfest event at the National Railway Museum in York last weekend - by charter... Deltic power there and back, and about half the price of a Cross Country ticket (and no nasty Voyager either!).

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-07-2012 06:18 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Canada tried a Turbo train, debuting in 1968. It hit a truck on it's maiden trip. It was supposed to be a fast way between Toronto and Montreal, but travelers tended to arrive very late, having made most of the trip by bus as the thing broke down regularly. After service was suspended in the winter (early 1969) as the trains were plagued with frozen brakes and other issues, they were revamped and returned in 1973 and served relatively reliably until 1982.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2012 01:59 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Union Pacific tried them out in the US, but it actually pulled a full size tanker after the engine for fuel--no joke. Kinda expensive, like the Queen Mary 2 which now only operates its diesels except for special circumstances given the cost of marine gas oil.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: