Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Title Design

Author Topic: Title Design
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2012 12:32 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's with today's title designers? Many of the titles are so small and unappealing that it almost looks like the designers are ashamed of their work. When I run those films on my 32 inch TV screen you can hardly see them or the credits. Give me titles like "The Sound Of Music", "Rio Bravo" or "Hello Dolly". To me opening the film with a great title design makes the film even more special.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is Saul Bass when you need him...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2012 02:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie studios must hate titles, considering many one-sheets don't even have the title on them. I have four one-sheets up right now that have no title on them, or else a dumb abbreviation ("MIB3").

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-12-2012 02:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tastes in design change.

Regarding small type sizes on screen: I have a feeling more than a few designers are not taking care to see how the lettering in opening and end credits is rendered on older, standard definition television sets. Maybe they don't care. More TV networks are merely letter-boxing their HD programming for SD viewers and not giving much thought about how fuzzy certain details will look on old TV sets. 720p and 1080i are pretty much the new standard definitions the way they see it.

I also have a feeling title designers don't feel much one way or the other about the look of their work on screen. Anymore it's just a job. The person actually doing the title work is probably just pushing buttons based on the creative decisions made by some focus group. Punch in. Punch out. Who cares.

Movie posters are in the same camp. The days are gone where illustrators like Bob Peak, Richard Amsel or Drew Struzan would create the primary marketing image for a movie, the illustration for the one sheet. Now it's all carefully photographed, Photoshopped heads of actors thrown together in 2468 various collage options. Let the focus group decide which one looks the best and then generate a polished version of it.

It's now a rarity for a new movie to have any sort of "brand" or "logo" like Star Wars, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, West Side Story or Indiana Jones. Most movie title "brands" are set in a standard typeface rather than custom made.

You guys have heard me joke often about the movie title on so many movie posters and opening credits being set in Trajan. Some of the Trajan over-use has toned a little. Nevertheless, the vast majority of movie posters are using the same few type families repeatedly. In addition to Trajan, I see a lot of Futura, Trade Gothic, Bank Gothic, Akzidenz Grotesk, FB Agency and Gotham. Too many posters just have a same-ness to them that just makes them unremarkable. Walk through the new releases aisle in a video store and it's hard to see anything that stands out from the crowd.

That probably gets into the over-use of the minimalist teaser poster. The concept is pretty old now. Studios have been screwing around with it since the early 1980s at least. A big one sheet poster with a very simple visual concept communicates to a crowd a little faster than the same old movie poster layout (especially when the current layouts are so "been there done that").

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2012 01:04 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Secretary, poster done well?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-13-2012 10:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The poster for Secretary is a provocative yet very simple visual image. I'll give it that. Still, it's a photograph. At least the "secretary" title is set in a letter style that makes sense thematically rather than something like Trajan.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: