Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Brave vs. Madagascar 3: Which will dominate?

Author Topic: Brave vs. Madagascar 3: Which will dominate?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2012 11:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't had one of these debates on two movies in a while.

So we've got two animation behemoths coming out this summer...which will dominate the boxoffice?

Madagascar 3:
Dreamworks Animation
The two previous films grossed $193M and $180M domestically
Looks more fun for kids

Brave:
It's Pixar, duh!
Not part of a franchise, but...it's Pixar!
Looks a bit scary for kids (could this be the first Disney film with a female heroine that will appeal to boys?)

Which will be the winner, grosswise? (I think we already know which will be the better movie.)

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2012 12:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sincerely hope Madagascar flops because I loathe the movies, and the trailers even more. It's just not good.

Brave will be fantastic.

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-11-2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Aaron. Has Dreamworks Animation actually made anything good?

(By good, I am defining as entertaining, not high grossing.)

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-11-2012 02:14 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^
For what it's worth, I enjoyed Chicken Run, the first two Shreks (the third is atrocious and the fourth one was worse), How to train your dragon, and Kung Fu Panda. A couple more on their list were simply average. The rest were either garbage or something I assumed was garbage and never saw.

They definitely have a higher percentage of absolute garbage.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-11-2012 02:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Money-wise I think the contest is a toss-up.

The general public seems to have the taste of brain dead cattle, so that would favor lots of sequels, remakes, etc.

Personally, I have no desire to see Madagascar 3 at the theater. That's a strictly "wait til it comes on HBO" movie for me. I do want to see Brave. I called the corporate office of Warren Theaters to ask if they would be installing Dolby Atmos on any of their screens in time for Brave. The answer was "no." But I still want to see Brave anyway.

Brave has certain things working for and against it in terms of hauling in truck loads of box office cash. The good: it's a new story from Pixar and the company still has a great reputation for delivering good movies despite what happened with Cars 2. The bad: the main character is a young "ginger" woman with a thick Scottish accent -an unconventional protagonist that isn't as market tested as Ben Stiller voicing a lion and Chris Rock voicing a Zebra.

Generally, I consider Pixar's movies a step above those from Dreamworks both in terms of story quality and pushing the state of the art standards bar in computer animation higher. With that being said, I have enjoyed a few of Dreamworks' movies, like Monsters vs. Aliens, Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon. The first Shrek movie was pretty good too.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2012 06:14 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how good the movie is, the only thing that counts is bums on seats.
I believe Madagascar will prevail for 2 reasons.
Its the kids who whinge and moan about what movie they want to see and the hype here is for Madagascar.
Brave is both in a scottish accent (no worries for me, but others will struggle) and the latest trailers are all over the place not conveying a single story line but trying to fit multiple story ideas in.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2012 01:13 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Atmos, does anyone have any clues on which cinemas are going to be testing it? I figure the only for sure one is the El Capitan.

As for Dreamworks, yes, there work is not nearly as good. Shrek was awesome, and I remember liking Shrek 2, but that was all I saw of those. I really want to see How to Train Your Dragon.

Madagascar makes Cars 2 look like Citizen Kane.

AJG

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-14-2012 03:44 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the past is any indication in this town, Madagascar 3 will do really well. It is the Tyler Perry of children's animation.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2012 10:03 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will play both. My expectations are that Madagascar 3 will outperform Brave. Anytime you have a female heroine in a chid's movie, that will movie will attract fewer boys. My 10 & 8 year old boys are NOT interested in watching Brave at all. My 8 year old has a very good track record on how well a movie will perform.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-23-2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brave will be in Dolby Atmos...therefore it will naturally be better [Wink]

I believe Brave will be the debut movie in the newly named "Dolby Theatre" in Hollywood.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-23-2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If "Brave" plays at the "Dolby Theatre" it probably won't play at El Capitan, which is right across the street.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-25-2012 01:21 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As predicted, at least in this town, Madagascar 3 did much better than Brave.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-25-2012 08:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
If "Brave" plays at the "Dolby Theatre" it probably won't play at El Capitan, which is right across the street.
I think it is, indeed, playing at both. Or did it just premiere at the Dolby?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: