Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Privacy and forum postings

Author Topic: Privacy and forum postings
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2012 04:08 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not realize how high up some of our film yak postings get in our google searches. I don't mind having my film tech reviews or other serious postings be exposed to google. But frequently I tend to let my guard down in the Film Yak section and I realized how some postings get to search engines. It would be nice if the Film Yak could be insulated from search engines so it would encourage freeer discussions. Just a suggestion.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-09-2012 06:37 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pravin, not a bad idea but I really don't know if it is even possible...Adam or Brad would know for sure.

And at least in my case, I'm at the age where I don't care about what people see of me on the 'net anymore. [Smile]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-09-2012 07:10 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.film-tech.com currently uses a robots.txt file that looks like this:

quote:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /cgi-bin
Disallow: /mrtg
Disallow: /pics/party/party.html

User-agent: ia_archiver
Disallow: /

I don't know enough about the file structure used by ulitmatebb to be able to provide a fact-based opinion, but I suspect it would be possible to tweak robots.txt to disallow search bots from indexing certain forums.

Having said that, posts to a public forum are, by definition, public. So I don't see this issue as a problem, personally.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-09-2012 07:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And on the same topic: I visit other kinds of forums, esp car forums, and the content in these forums are also available for search engines. And since as with F-T, these are also public forums.

With these other forums, avatars, usernames and no actual pictures of the user are permitted intead of actual individual names as we do here on F-T - this is prob why we have so many strict rules .. mainly to protect our privacy.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2012 09:04 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, I don't mean for the entire site to be private. Just the film-yak section, especially considering we all use our real names and pics and not avatars.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2012 09:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is it exactly that you are saying on here that is a problem for your existence again?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-09-2012 10:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything you write, anywhere on the internet is logically equivalent to shouting from your rooftop.

If you don't want people to read what you write, don't write it on the internet.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-10-2012 12:29 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Tony said. Screw 'em.

Chuck McGregor
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2012 12:11 PM      Profile for Chuck McGregor   Email Chuck McGregor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Randy Stankey
If you don't want people to read what you write, don't write it on the internet.

...of course this applies to anything you don't want anyone/everyone to see. That's why they invented snail mail and face-to-face conversations [thumbsup]

If there were such as thing as "Internet Usage Training," this would/should be the #1 Rule/Lesson/Axiom/Commandment/Dictum/Advice/Recommendation/Philosophy/Modus Operandi/Protocol/Procedure/Policy.

I don't get why people don't get this. [Confused]

As to real names, it takes no courage in any form to hide behind anonymity [Cool] --- But that's another topic.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-10-2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...

You guys are using your REAL NAMES???????? [Eek!]

Chuck McGregor
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2012 05:37 PM      Profile for Chuck McGregor   Email Chuck McGregor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real names? Of course. But I use someone else's real name. It's just pure coincidence that it's exactly the same as mine [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: