Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I finally got an iPad (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I finally got an iPad
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-01-2012 12:05 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time when I was always the first among my photographic colleagues to get my hands on any innovative new products or photograpphic equipment.. But ever since I went Ito semi retirement, I could not do it anymore because I have to control my spending and only purchase essential things I need. After about two years since it was introduced, I finally got an iPad. I was planning to get the very latest model that was just introduced but some of my friends that have the first and second versions told me to get the iPad 2 because there is not much difference between it and the newer model.plus the older model was on a cleareance sale. I took their advice and got the 32 g. iPad 2 at a hundred dollar off and I love it. Basically, I am am using my new iPad as a sales tool to show my clients a portfolio of my work with it's very stunning image display The iPad also comes in handy when I have to go on the internet or check my email. I have also been using it to read the latest post here at Filmt -Tech and also respond to some threads or start a new one like I am doing now.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-01-2012 02:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film-Tech could use a mobile-friendly version of the site (not that it would matter for your iPad). But everyone is on their phone these days and a stripped-down version of the site would be good and very fast.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2012 07:52 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your friends may have short changed you. There's probably not much difference between ipad 2 and ipad 3, other than the retina screen, which is like night and day in comparison. I remember holding my Iphone 4 next to an earlier ipad (not sure if it was the first or second model) and all the pixels became much more noticeable on the Ipad. I bought my ipad 3 the day it came out and don't regret it at all.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-01-2012 09:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The retina screen on the iPad 3 has more resolution than a typical d-cinema install, correct? The Retina screen on my iPod Touch is amazing.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-01-2012 10:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the iPad 3 is better than the two previous models, I am more than happy with my iPad 2 and have no regret buying it. It it very interesting to find the iPad almost exactly like the iPod Touch only it is much larger. I also have a iPod Touch and it iis the very first model that came out in late 2007 and I still have and continue to use today.

-Claude

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2012 12:26 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze Claude, I finally found a cell phone that just makes and receives phone calls. It isn't connected to the internet, doesn't take pictures or play games and I had the texting feature (both incoming and outgoing) disconnected. And the buttons are big enough for me to get my fat fingers on. Hooray!!!!!!! And I've managed to make it to 80 years of age without any of those electronic gadgets. My quality of life hasn't suffered a bit.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-02-2012 01:11 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^ The fancy smart phones that go on the internet are generally programmable to make the buttons bigger, although the ones on my touchscreen are plenty big by default (although the electronic keyboard defaults to medium-ish sized keys).

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2012 12:15 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris, had I noticed you were in Redmond before I would have tried to contact you. I was there last week visiting a daughter who lives there. I met my wife in Lynnwood when we were working the now closed Lynn Twin and I also worked a number of houses for the Seattle and Everett I.A. Locals.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-02-2012 06:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's no biggie. I imagine you thought I was in Texas, since I'd only moved back here recently.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-02-2012 06:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like my wife's sister - she just wants to talk on her cel and has no use for texting...

Yet, we love to tease her once in a while with a text message..and her husband have to open the message section up to see the message and who it's from.

..she gets so mad at the bunch of us for doing so....

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2012 09:56 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apple Products are for hippies...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-03-2012 01:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be more interested in the iPad3 if it weren't lacking a few things.

The lack of Siri is a big drawback. The feature has been so hyped on the iPhone 4S that it was kind of expected to be in the next iPad. I'm surprised it wasn't.

At least one or more USB ports would have been nice for attaching devices like a real keyboard or external hard disc drive. There's no slots for removable flash card storage. For all the iPad3's chops at displaying high res graphics the lack of expandable storage puts it at a big disadvantage for viewing lots of big images and HD quality videos. I guess you have to use some combination of WiFi and/or Bluetooth to back up files if the iPad will even let you do so.

There's no HDMI port for attaching the iPad3 to a HDTV set. I think you have to buy some Apple branded "air" thingie to get WiDi style functions.

Does the iPad3 have a pen/stylus for drawing/writing directly on the screen? It would be pretty cool if a future iPad had pressure sensitive pen capability, similar to Wacom's really expensive Cintiq graphics tablet monitors. I'd love to have one of their new 24" monitors, but the $2500 price is a bit steep.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2012 03:59 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's unfortunate that Siri wasn't included on the iPad 3 (new iPad). It would be interesting to know why, as the processor should be up to the task, and I would imagine most iPads are within reach of a WiFi or 3G connection. Maybe they were concerned about overloading the Siri system?

At first I thought that not having a USB port and/or card reader would be a big hindrance, but it hasn't. When you think about it, it makes sense that those items aren't included. A USB port brings with it all kinds of compatibility issues. Is this hard drive compatible? What about that USB keyboard? That said, there are Bluetooth devices, such as keyboards, that are available for the iPad to extend its functionality and/or meet individual needs/preferences.

At first, I thought that an SD card slot would not only give me access to photos on a larger screen than on my camera, but it would also provide extra storage capacity in case I came short. However, I have a 16GB iPad2 and I've never run into a space issue. Granted, I don't try loading several movies and thousands of 10MP photos, so it all depends on how each person uses their device. With a greater emphasis on cloud-based computing, having large amounts of internal storage is becoming less important. It would be nice to be able to pop in an SD card from my camera and view them on the iPad's screen, though. Apple does make a $29 adapter that does this, so it's available if I ever want to do so.

Speaking of additional accessories, the Apple Digital AV Adapter allows you to mirror everything you see on the iPad to a TV for $39. Some TV's, A/V receivers, and devices like the AppleTV are AirPlay compatible, which would keep you from having to tether the iPad with an HDMI cable running across the floor.

You can buy a stylus for the iPad, but it doesn't come with one. For the most part, you don't need one, as the interface was designed intentionally not to need it (Steve Jobs felt that the interface on tablets failed if it required a stylus to use). That said, I do have one, but I rarely use it. I got it so that my wife could sign for things at a local vendor who uses an iPad and the Square reader for taking credit card payments. Signing your name with your finger is kind of odd at first... I played with the stylus for a little while, but it's not necessary, and there was no need to carry it around.

At the risk of sounding like an Apple commercial or some zealous "hippie" the iPad is very much a revolutionary device when it comes to how it has changed a majority of my family's computer use. It's overkill to read E-Mail or browse web pages or read RSS feeds on a desktop computer when you have a portable device that you can hold in your lap while you watch television or put on the table while you eat breakfast.

Claude, have you checked out any of the Portfolio apps for presenting photos? My brother is a photographer, and I've been looking at a few of them to show him what an iPad could do for his business. I'd be interested in your perspectives on them!

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2012 04:05 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can't get used to using a smartphone. I prefer my old fashioned cell phone to make calls and easy to text when needed as it has a flip open like a book- keyboard with bigger screen option. And when I make calls, I want my phone to feel like a phone. Never go with the novelty ring tones either - just the usual ring ring. I am that old fashioned when it comes to phones. (not that old fashioned as I never want to use a rotary phone again).

My big fingers are just clumsy with navigating a smartphone's interface. So an Ipad looks like a good solution. It is easy to carry along especially if you buy those leather covers that make you not have to treat it carefully. Hell, I carry my 15.6 inch bulky Thinkpad around a lot. So compared to that an IPAD will feel like a smartphone to me.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-09-2012 06:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's unfortunate that Siri wasn't included on the iPad 3 (new iPad). It would be interesting to know why,
I know why. It's so they can put it on a future iPad. I don't think they include ALL the great features they have achieved on new products. Heck no, they parcel them out a little at a time to keep folks upgrading.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: