Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movies With Good Gun Sound Effects (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Movies With Good Gun Sound Effects
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2012 07:21 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby Henderson listed some movies in another thread with both good and bad gun sound effects. Let's name some more:

Bad: any early James Bond film, and some more recent ones too.

Great: Open Range, Last Man Standing

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-27-2012 07:45 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Safe House. I played that recently and boy, does it have some great gun shots.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2012 02:14 AM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the rounds in Shooter were fantastic

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-28-2012 08:28 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea whether they are "good" or not, but Bonnie and Clyde was famous for its "explosive" gun sounds.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-28-2012 08:51 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heat had some well done gunfire sound, particularly the shootout in downtown Los Angeles. While saying that, certain M-16 audio effects really had the bass pumped up.

Collateral is another Michael Mann movie with some accurate sounding gunfire. But one scene where a suppressed handgun was used had a typical, fake sounding silencer effect.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-28-2012 11:43 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinji Fukasaku's last film Battle Royale (2000) sounded pretty good on the Egyptian's system at the American Cinematheque. It's finally, finally out on blu-ray in the US now (only took 12 years).

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2012 06:45 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to my theatre experience I spent 7 years as a deputy sheriff and police officer in Southern California and I can tell you that in most movies the gunshot sounds are not realistic. Most are over amplified. And FWIW not every car that crashes explodes and overturns.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-01-2012 11:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, gunfire isn't the easiest thing to record. However, I think the movie audio folks could do a more accurate job in how they portray the gunfire sounds.

The sound of suppressed weapons is rarely, if ever, portrayed accurately in movies. One scene near the end of The Bourne Identity had about the closest I've seen to an accurate rendition of the sound of suppressed handgun fire.

YouTube has LOTS of gun fire videos, including ones of people firing pistols with suppressors attached. The sound may be different according to the type of ammo used, especially if the rounds have a super sonic or sub sonic muzzle velocity. Obviously, if you're wanting the pistol to be quiet as possible you'll be using sub sonic ammo. But you're still going to hear the slide of the pistol "clack" backwards when it is fired.

Here's a couple examples I found:
Example 1
Example 2

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-02-2012 12:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movies tend to sound like "POW POW POW" with their gunfire. Real guns sound more like "PAP PAP PAP" but they are still loud. I should know because I have fired guns because I'm tuf. I've never heard suppressed gunfire in real life. I've also never fired a gun without hearing protection. That would probably make my ears ring for several days.

Thanks for linking those videos, Bobby. Those will help if I ever need to do sound design for a gun being fired with a suppressor. Mostly the clack is heard. I'd like to hear it indoors as well.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-02-2012 08:22 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The obvious downside to the various YouTube videos of gunfire is the sound tends to be badly over-driven. A video camera can't auto-adjust its sound recording levels fast enough to prevent bad clipping. And then there's all the ambient noise of wind, birds and other background crap.

Someone recording audio separately with a really good boom mic could get much better results, and even better still if recording the audio in some sort of controlled studio setting.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-02-2012 02:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really like to record that. I have the equipment to do so, but I think that even an indoor shooting range might be too "live".

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2012 02:58 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gunshots in "The African Queen" as the boat passes the fort of Shona. It is the closest I can associate with the actual experience.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-03-2012 09:56 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously Saving Private Ryan had some good machine gun sound effects. I remember hearing some effects during the D-Day invasion sequence that sounded very much like distant machine gun fire in actual combat footage or what I hear from time to time coming from Fort Sill. The 1911 .45 Tom Hanks was firing near the end of the movie had the "pop" sound I associate with real .45 semi-auto handgun fire.

quote: Joe Redifer
I'd really like to record that. I have the equipment to do so, but I think that even an indoor shooting range might be too "live".
Indoor shooting ranges typically have horrible acoustics. Echo city. I wouldn't want to fire a handgun inside of a real recording studio out of concern the pollutants from gunfire could create problems. Finding an outdoor environment with minimal levels of background noise could be difficult. There's plenty of desolate areas in Oklahoma where you can fire guns, but the wind is constantly blowing here. The mic would need a really fuzzy wind screen to block out a lot of that.

I think it's possible to "build" an accurate sound effect of suppressed handgun fire by layering the right kind of elements together and altering them to get the effect just right. The handgun slide element could be built by recording someone thumbing the slide catch lever to make a retracted handgun slide release forward. The sound might need to be sped up a bit and doubled on itself to get both the blow back and push forward sound just right. Then you have to layer the right sort of puff sound on top of it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-03-2012 11:15 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound effects of gun shots need to conform with the audiences' consensus reality: That which the majority of people will accept as real, without regard to first hand experience.

Gunshot sounds don't need to be real, recorded sounds. They only need to sound plausibly real such that the audience accepts them as real. In fact, if you made really real gunshot sound effects, your audience might walk out of the theater with hearing damage.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-03-2012 11:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not asking for the movie theater's sound system to duplicate the dynamic range and decibel level of gun fire. What I am asking is for it to not sound stupidly fake. There is a lot of movie gun fire sound effects that just aren't realistic, with the "silencer" effect being right there at the top. It's audio bullshit thrown into a mix like clip art.

One of chief jobs a movie has is suspending the audiences' level of disbelief. One of the ways the filmmaker must do this is by making as many details authentic as possible. If he is creating gun sound effects to be believable only by the standards of people who don't know anything about guns then his sound effects are probably going to sound fake to people who have fired guns.

I suspect movie sound people are altering gun fire sounds or creating artificial ones from other sources to make something that sounds more cool or bigger or whatever. Real gun fire sounds bad ass enough to me. It certainly sounds more scary than some of the "pew pew pew" handgun sounds that bothered me about Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: