Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Patton in 70mm at the AFI/Silver Memorial Day 2012 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Patton in 70mm at the AFI/Silver Memorial Day 2012
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-14-2012 10:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coming this Memorial Day...PATTON in 70mm to the AFI/Silver theatre.

There will be two showings. Sunday May 27th at 1:00pm and again on Monday May 28th at 1:00pm.

I've given you all about a month of notice on this one. Note too...there is a 70mm film festival scheduled for later this year...I will post more on the details when I get them.

(before you all ask or comment...no the AFI/Silver is NOT a D-150 theatre...the screen is flat...see the pictures in the warehouse section of this site for more info on the technicalities of the theatre)

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2012 01:08 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is the print that was struck a few years back, it's positively stunning! It's indescribably sharp.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-14-2012 02:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like I can be there on Monday the 28th. Who else is going?

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2012 03:03 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this last year in NYC. VERY nice. 1st 70mm I saw in a LOOOONG time.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2012 04:13 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and of course I will be out of town... [Mad]

word is that Fox is remastering the film for a 'corrected' blu-ray version.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-19-2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox did a nice job remastering "The French Connection" on Blu-ray recently.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ shockingly so!

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 04-19-2012 05:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...did they fix the BR of French Connection, or is it still the super-bright version that bears no resemblance to how the prints look and sound?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2012 11:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes Scott - Fox did fix the transfer, it's currently a Best Buy exclusive.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 05-26-2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be attending the Monday afternoon screening. Will anyone else be there?

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-26-2012 12:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should be there on Monday too.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-28-2012 06:08 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only you were just a tad closer...

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2012 08:20 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know a friendly air-freight company? it'll be cheaper to get the print to John and I than John and I to the print [Razz]

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-28-2012 06:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print was from July 2002. The condition was VERY GOOD-Excellent. There was some dirt, an occasional fine scratch but never very long (I think I counted 2 or 3 times total...not including negative scratches).

The sound was a bit strident. It was DTS from the original 6-track mix. In fact, you can hear the hiss in it. My suspicion that when they did the dupe to DTS, they didn't apply the Academy curve. The movie was mixed in the pre-eq era and would presume a "typical" theatre response...without applying an Academy roll off, you will get the type of sound I heard.

Overall though, a great performance.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 05-29-2012 06:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a great time at the screening. This is a terrific film (and one which I had not actually seen before). It needs to be shown more often.

The AFI schedule is quite diverse, with a mix of current and recent art-house titles, classics, festivals, and the like. Even in the largest cities, it is rare to see a venue with this type of programming diversity. This is also a place that values presentation quality, which is refreshing to see.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: