Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » ATI Control Catalyst Windows 7 issue

Author Topic: ATI Control Catalyst Windows 7 issue
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2012 07:21 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am installing a 25" HP led monitor on a desktop setup, and there's black borders around the image; it doesn't fill the screen. I tried downloading and installing the ATI Control Catalyst Center program to allow me to change the overscan settings, but the computer crashes everytime I install it. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and all software/drivers are up to date, but I can't figure out how to get around the crashing. Any one else have this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-14-2012 12:07 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had that combination of graphics card and monitor running under another operating system without the problem? If not, it might be worth trying booting into an Ubuntu Live CD as an experiment - it won't cost you anything.

If yes, then as a wild guess, I'd speculate that there is no fully compatible W7 driver available for your graphics card; if no, that the card itself cannot support the resolution of that monitor.

Changing the overscan settings isn't going to help if the monitor thinks it's getting fewer pixels delivered from the graphics card than is needed to fill its screen. There may be a setting in the monitor's menu (not the graphics card settings) that lets you blow up the smaller frame to fill the screen.

The only other thing I can think of is that if the connection is DVI, try using analogue, and vice-versa.

But I fear that the most likely solution is a new graphics card - sorry.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-14-2012 11:23 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might be a useless suggestion, but since ATI was bought out by AMD and card lines/software are now all branded as AMD, you might want to download the newest version from AMD's website and uninstall the ATI version.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 10:08 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my suggestion:

Uninstall Windows 7.

Install Ubuntu 11.10.

[Smile]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 01:25 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The graphics card is a Radeon 6850. I found a "fix" here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICCCInstallFreezes.aspx

I'll be trying this later tonight and then installing CCC again to see if that solves the problem!

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2012 03:25 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ATI Drivers do not seem to play nice at all in windows 7. I have a machine here that won't properly load the driver unless i turn off driver signature enforcement via F8 before bootup.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: