Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Moving My Film Equipment

Author Topic: Moving My Film Equipment
Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2012 03:37 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may seem like a silly question, but anyways, I will moving in a few months and I was wondering if I can keep my projector mounted to the xenon console along with the failsafe and Dolby digital penthouse reader. This is assuming I take out the flywheels for the sound drums. I don't see any reason why I couldn't move it that way, other than it is just heavier. If it helps the equipment is a Christie SLC console with Christie P35GPC. Thanks for the helps.

|  IP: Logged

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2012 03:53 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew McBride
I will moving in a few months and I was wondering if I can keep my projector mounted to the xenon console along with the failsafe and Dolby digital penthouse reader.
Unless you are having it Crated up, if not remove the projector from the console and also remove the Dolby Digital Reader and pack well in packing Boxes, not worth the risk getting Damaged while being moved.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2012 12:37 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah my only other concern was damaging it from moving it around to the truck. Crating may be a possibility, but that my seem more of an effort than just taking the projector off of the console, I dunno.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2012 05:45 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One consideration might be how far you are moving.
Across town, or across the state or country?
I had to move one of my machines across town a couple of
years ago. I decided not to break it down BUT:
1> I supervised the movers every moment they were with
the machine.
2> I CLEARLY marked several spots with tape that said
"DO NOT LIFT HERE".
3> I had the machine lifted onto a wheeled dolly,
under my constant watch.
4> I paid extra to have them bring a truck with a lift
gate so that the projector wouldn't have to be lifted
into or out of the truck.
5> I told them where they could 'tie down' on the
projector once it was in the back of the truck to
keep it from shifting during transport.

I was only going across town, and was only moving the
projector, a couple of equipment racks & some other stuff,
so it was reletively easy to keep an eye on everything.

If you're only going a short distance, you might be able
to get away with leaving everything assembeled, but
make sure you superivse the movers every moment they are
with your projector. If you're moving a longer distance,
breaking the projector down might be safer, IMO.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-10-2012 05:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and take the bulb out prior to moving.

Mount the entire unit on a pallet, strap it down with a couple of "come-alongs" to the pallet.

Can't see why you need to remove the reader and what have you when you're using professional movers. They're trained to handle heavy items with ease and professional results.

-Monte

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-10-2012 10:34 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the Dolby penthouse flywheels and the optical reader flywheels, you should have no problems. Remove the penthouses if it makes moving easier.
Depending on the projector, taking it off the soundhead might be worthwhile. That gets rid of a lot of weight. Taking the soundhead off the bullnose might bring alignment problems on reassembly.
Removing the rectifier can make a huge weight difference - if you have a high reactance one it's a lot of metal. There aren't very many wires.
The biggest problem is that there aren't any good places to grab a console. Strapping it on a pallet and moving it with a pallet jack is great if there are no stairs. Pros use motorized stair dollies to deal with these obstacles. It's scary to watch.
Be careful of the jacking feet. Lower them all the way for sure so they don't get bent over, but they might still get damaged and the feet do tend to fall off. New Strong consoles came with these in a bag to avoid wrecking them in transport, taking them right off is a good idea.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2012 12:20 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
Across town, or across the state or country?
Fortunately or unfortunately, it is across the country. I am going to have professional movers move all the items in and out of the truck which I will supervise. In fact when I got it I had movers bring it inside for me. I can put it on a pallet, but of that has to be done outside as my doors are not wide enough which requires stairs [Frown]
quote: Dave Macaulay
Removing the rectifier can make a huge weight difference
I have actually replaced the original rectifier with a 1 KW one as I don't need a more powerful one. It actually cut the weight down by almost 80lbs. I plan on strapping the console and platter system to the walls of the truck so they can't move around. Still not sure how to package the platters as when I got them they got all bent which at this point I'm just gonna replace the whole platter system, but that is another topic. I guess if I take the projector off, I'm not so sure how to package it for safe transportation.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2012 10:51 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an update. Everything got successfully moved. I put everything back together today, and ran a test reel though everything and all is good. Thanks guys for all the help. Also I gotta thank Louis [thumbsup] for giving me an idea on how to transport the platters safely without warping, damaging, bending them etc.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-07-2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to know your equipment is safe and undamaged. [evil] [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: