Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Where to stick it? Aka jackstands on a Jaguar

Author Topic: Where to stick it? Aka jackstands on a Jaguar
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2012 04:14 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello fellow weekend grease-monkeys!

I'm working on a restoration of sorts. A 1978 Jaguar XJ6 with a Chevy 350/corvette autotrans conversion.

Anyway, so I realized today how rusted some of this car really is.
Upon getting it up on the jack stands one of the jacking pegs crunched up into the pan slightly. This was on the front, driver side of the car.
I'm concerned about its integrity so I'm curious if anyone knows of a better place to put jack stands.
I was thinking perhaps under the front cross-member tough I'd feel better if the pads on the stands were flat reather than cupped for that but that point seems much sturdier.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-09-2012 04:02 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually the unibody has frame rails that runs lengthwise under the car - this would be the place for the jackstands. Don't use the pinchwelds being the weakest part of the unibody.

But, the axle/lower arm areas where there is solid steel is where you want the stands.

Being RWD, you can do the stands on the rear axles themselves right next to the brake assemblies-if the axles are encased in the axle tubing.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2012 10:55 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,
it's not a unibody.
There aren't clearly defined side rails on this one.
All the documentation I've seen says you use the jacking pegs, which are fine on the other 3 points of contact. For some reason the drivers side is just rusted more.
Strange.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-12-2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then, on the front, you'd do the jacks where the lower "A" frame attaches to the chassis, and the rear, on the corner of each rear axle next to the brake shields.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 11:52 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, that worked out nicely, thanks!

At this point my project is mostly stripped down.
I'm in the process of slapping the new intake and carb on. Hopefully I'll be able to sell off the old one. It's got less than 10k miles on it but isn't CA legal.

There was much less to do on the power plant than I thought so I'll be onto the body and interior much quicker than I had expected and pleased that I've not had to put much in under the hood! woot!

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 12:51 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked on an old Jaguar a few years ago, and found the rust to be copletely insane. I had to replace or weld in new metal on nearly every inch of the damn thing. Apparently the Brits don't know how to protect their cars from how wet their own climate is. It's been German cars ever since for me because of that reason.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 01:57 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's very interesting.

Looking like we're going that route as well...I've got most of the interior stripped at this point, going to pull the body and go through about the same process actually...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2012 04:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When GM introduced the "H" body in 1971 (Being the Chev VEGA, Pontiac ASTRA, Buick Starhawk and the Olds Starfire), these vehicles had the notorious problems with rust in the early releases since the zinc dips that the chassis were submerged in prior to painting, would not get in all of the 'nooks and crannies' of the unibody.

Thing would be actually having rust while on the showroom floors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: