Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Technicolor 3-D Scope/Flat

Author Topic: Technicolor 3-D Scope/Flat
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 12:43 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes - I know - I manage a movie theatre that has Technicolor 3-D (35mm).

Okay, now that you are done laughing, I have a question:

Why the hell do I get these films with an attached Scope Trailer and then the film is in Flat format?

What I mean by this: "Wrath of the Titans 3-D" is in the flat format - HOWEVER - the attached (or listed attached trailer) "Paranorman" trailer fills up an entire Scope screen. I say listed meaning - the actual trailer is listed as an attachment - but it came loose in the can. So there are 3 or 4 trailers that play before the movie and each of them are different formats - then when the film starts - it's in the Flat aspect ratio. My masking has to then stay open - because if I close it - when I start the film on the next show 2 of the trailers will bleed over onto the masking.

What the hell?

I CANNOT WAIT FOR DIGITAL!

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 01:00 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Dennis, cut the trailers off. If the distributor sends a checker around then you can argue the point with that distributor. If no checker comes around then they will never know the difference. I used to cut the trailers off for films I knew I'd never play. I never heard from the distributors.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-30-2012 01:29 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I CANNOT WAIT FOR DIGITAL!
Dennis, check out all the chatter about questionable digital aspect ratios. Doesn't seem like those issues have been cleared up at all, in fact, they seem to be made worse.

I definately second Robert's point -- I don't play trailers (read studio ads) unless I am booking that particular picture. I don't want to confuse my patrons. If the studio wants to use MY screen for THEIR ads, I will be happy to send the an advertising rate sheet so they can pay me for their ads same as any other merchant would if they wanted to place a merchant ad on my screen. The studios don't expect newspapers to give them free ad space...why is my screen any different? Oh wait....I don't play ads at all, so no, they can't even buy screen time if they wanted to. They can, however, deduct points on the film rental...heh heh...yah, THAT will happen.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction: The attached trailer was "The Hobbit".

Some people come to the movies just to watch the trailers, so I'm going to leave them on.

I know there are issues with digital - but once we are digital - I can blame the issue on the fact that we are digital...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-30-2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And some people can't stand trailers. I've often wanted to run an experiment of just having one screen in a multiplex dedicated to trailers. You could either charge people to see them (some people will pay for anything. Hell, there are trailer premieres now) or use it as a waiting room. I have a hunch it would be quite popular and would boost per caps as people would be more likely to leave and buy more food if they weren't afraid of "missing" something in a feature.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 02:55 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just put together 2 hours of old old trailers from the 60s,70s and 80s for a rental.Ran it off the platter! Ran fine until an hour in when some very curled film rolled up into a ball on it's way to the brain! Instant lock up crash and burn on screen!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
What I mean by this: "Wrath of the Titans 3-D" is in the flat format
It looks like communication broke down from whom to whom on what lens format what "Titans" was in to what trailers to match the format were attached.

Been there and seen that before on added trailers at the depot.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 05:21 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, digital doesn't solve this problem. Wait until there is a short that is part of the same file as the film, and they're in different ratios. The only thing to do is put a projector cue in the middle to switch and hope it happens quickly. At least with film you can manually cut off what you don't want to show.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: