Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Microsoft XL help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Microsoft XL help
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-12-2012 10:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See what I did there? Y'know, like Simplex XL? Hahaha?? No? OK.

Anyway I am new to Microsoft Excel. I am using Office 2011. I have a column full of times and I would like Excel to add these times. Times are listed in minutes and seconds, no hours though I would like Excel to be able to add hours as necessary. Times are listed like this: 7:21 or 22:08 (again, minutes and seconds). So how do I get the total time of the entire column down at the bottom. You Windows guys say Microsoft is crazy awesome and Apple sux so I assume Excel can do this without me having to alter the way I enter times.

Walk me through this step by step. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 01:56 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By "total time" do you mean a running total of time (like 21:00 plus 4:00 becomes 25:00) or do you mean that you are keeping a total for what time of day it is (21:00 then add 4:00 I get 1:00)?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2012 02:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running total, so 7:21 + 6:38 becomes 13:59 and so on.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2012 05:10 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assume the following:
G5 is time on, I5 is time off the difference is calculated or the cell is left blank.
=IF(24*(IF(G5>I5,I5+1-G5,I5-G5))>0,24*(IF(G5>I5,I5+1-G5,I5-G5)),"")

If simply adding time formatted numbers together, say 03:00:00 and 01:00:00 then:
=sum(A1:A31)*24
Assuming A1 thru A31 contain these times. Make sure the cell with this formula is formatted "General" and not "Time" as it will want to roll over like a 24hr clock.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What?

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2012 03:14 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just tested with Excel 2010 . . . .

If you have the fields set as Category "Time" and type "37:30:5" (i.e. HH:MM:SS) you can use the simple sum or addition formula.

The thing to remember is the time should be entered into the fields with data for all 3 types - i.e. for 30 minutes 2 seconds you would enter 0:30:02 (or 0:30:2 works too). If you enter a whole number it will multiply times 24 (i.e. 3 becomes 72:00:00), entering more than 60 seconds will result in the hours and minutes being calculated (i.e. 0:0:120 will turn into 00:02:00)

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 03:29 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll assume you want row #2 to contain the time entries, each of them placed in a separate column in that row just so we can make this easy, and they start from B2 and end at Z2. And I assume you want the total hours to be stored in position B4

1) Have a blank document.
2) Click on the "2" on the left side so you can select the whole row.
3) Click on "format" then "cells"
4) Select "time" on the left
5) Change the format code to be "HH:MM"
6) Click on cell B4
7) Type in "=24*SUM(B2:Z2)" and hit enter
8) Right-click on B4 and select "format cells" then on the far-left side choose "number" then select "general" and click OK

I'd put some text in A2 and A4 to tell you that they are for the times entries and total hours entries, respectively but that's not necessary.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2012 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a blank document. It already exists. There is no HH:MM, only random numbers in the Time options on the format settings. See:

-

I REALLY have no clue what you guys are saying. This is why I hate Excel with a passion. I am not an office kind of guy.

Here is the document I am working on. I am trying to get all of the times in column (not row) E to automatically add up. It needs to automatically re-tally when I enter a new episode in at the bottom as well.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 05:13 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go

I wasn't sure where you wanted the total so I put it in cell E2. You can put it anywhere you like.

Note that it will currently add everything in column E from cell 3 to cell 1024. If you have more entries than that, increase the number.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2012 05:23 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your current data is in HH:MM as time of day and not MM:SS

Do this:
Hold down <Ctrl> and click on column E then F to highlight the both columns
Right click -> format cells -> number tab -> choose "Time" from left side -> choose "37:30:55" as the type -> click OK
Now, in field F3 type the formula =e3/60
Copy that formula down the entire column
Verify that the times in column F look correct (basically your current data is formatted as HH:MM and not MM:SS and /60 converts them)
Highlight f3 through f48, right click -> copy
Right click in field e3 -> Paste special -> Values (choose the first icon with the 123) - this pastes the corrected times into colum E
Delete column F
In E49 type =sum(e3:e48) and you should get the total of 11:06:06

If you want I can email you back a copy of the spreadsheet I performed the above steps on.

edit: actually try this link: link

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2012 06:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That works perfectly, thanks!

Frank, thanks for the effort but the summed times were incorrect. It should be close to 11 hours by my manual calculations.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 06:52 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should probably have done a sanity check on it; I didn't notice that the format you had your times in differs from the "official" time format that you can do calculations on.

Oh well. Shows you what I know...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2012 08:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more question (and this one should be pretty simple): How do I do a line break in a cell? If I press ENTER/RETURN it just moves to another cell, but I'd like to stay within the cell and have line breaks. I imagine it's just a matter of holding the correct button when I press ENTER/RETURN, right?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2012 08:36 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALT+ENTER

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2012 09:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That does not work. Just goes to the next cell. However Command+ Alt+Return seems to work.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: