Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why is there such a stupid hub-bub over "Bully?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Why is there such a stupid hub-bub over "Bully?"
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-12-2012 06:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it. Apparently, the movie has been rated R due to the language. Everybody knows what kind of language gets you an R rating. If they wanted to, the film-makers could just bleep out that language and get their precious PG-13. It's not like they are being blindsided by rules they didn't know were there.

And now the producers are all crying because the "intended audience" won't get to see the movie since it's rated R.

My cynical self thinks this whole brouhaha is just a stunt to get free publicity for the movie.

And, the "intended audience" is still going to go right on bullying, movie or no movie.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-12-2012 08:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People on Facebook keep saying "But kids REALLY need to see this moooooviiiieeee!!!" My question to them would be: How do you know? Have you seen it?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2012 08:46 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Public school should either be rated R, or else kick out all the kids who swear.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-12-2012 10:34 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
My cynical self thinks this whole brouhaha is just a stunt to get free publicity for the movie.

It's a Weinstein movie, so of course.

OTOH: The ratings suck (see previous threads)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-12-2012 11:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree with the whole "inconsistency" argument. They say two F-words gets you an R, so that's the way it oughta be. If they want to raise that to three, then fine, but make it consistent across all movies, and all film companies too. No more of Universal getting a PG-13 when they should have had an R.

I personally think the ratings are OK, mostly because I haven't heard of a better method yet.

What bugs me is people who decide whether a movie is any good based solely on the rating. We get church people who won't go to an R-rated movie because "they're all terrible," and adults who wouldn't be caught dead going into a G film because "it must be for kids" (even if it isn't).

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 01:21 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the MPAA were interested in keeping up with cultural norms, language alone would never be reason enough for an R rated movie - unless were talking about something like what you see in a Quentin Tarantino movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 01:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with that. Lots of people use profanity every other word but I don't really think it's a "cultural norm." And, the ratings are supposed to be about letting parents know about the contents of movies.

What they REALLY need is one more rating -- "L" -- for a movie that has foul language and no other offensive material. "King's Speech" would be a good candidate for that.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 09:50 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got bored and looked up the rules. Here's the PG 13 rules:
http://www.filmratings.com/filmRatings_Cara/downloads/pdf/ratings/cara_rating_rules.pdf
quote:

3) PG-13 - Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13.
A PG-13 rating is a sterner warning by the Rating Board to parents to determine whether their children under age 13 should view the motion picture, as some material might not be suited for them. A PG-13 motion picture may go beyond the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, adult activities or other elements, but does not reach the restricted R category. The theme of the motion picture by itself will not result in a rating greater than PG-13, although depictions of activities related to a mature theme may result in a restricted rating for the motion picture. Any drug use will initially require at least a PG-13 rating. More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13 rated motion picture generally will not be sexually oriented. There may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence. A motion picture’s single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive,initially requires at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive requires an R rating, as must even one of those words used in a sexual context. The Rating Board nevertheless may rate such a motion picture PG-13 if, based on a special vote by a two-thirds majority, the Raters feel that most American parents would believe that a PG-13 rating is appropriate because of the context or manner in which the words are used or because the use of those words in the motion picture is inconspicuous.

Weinstein at least has a leg to stand on for an appeal on context and appropriateness.

I'd still prefer him to say "screw you" and release it unrated. I just love the arrogance of the MPAA/CARA thinking they speak for the average parent. Just because yo have to be a parent to be on the ratings board, doesn't mean you speak for anyone other than yourself (and the lobby wing of the motion picture industry).
As always, notice the ratings are warnings for parents, not admission instructions for theatres.

And just noticed the "any drug use." I'm sure they mean illegal, but would love to see someone appeal that [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 11:18 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there was a time when every Main Street in America had a store that said DRUGS on the outside. Now, they have all been replaced by pharmacies.

What I wonder about "Bully" is how many F-bombs there are. If it's dozens (and if it's about today's high school kids, I'm sure there are) then the R rating is appropriate. If it's just a handful, then I could see an appeal on the context issue.

I still remember "Tootsie" had Bill Murray saying "Fuck you" to Dustin Hoffman at least two or three times and that movie still got a PG. (That was before PG-13 was established though.)

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 01:03 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of when we showed the Demott/Kreines non-fiction[they'd kill me if I called it a documentary] film Seventeen. Lots of teenagers in Muncie, IN using lots of, as they say at the MPAA. "language."

During one of the shows a middle-age woman came to my office fuming mad. She just couldn't believe the language in the movie. I pointed out those were real kids speaking as they speak. She replied "I've raised three teenagers and NONE of them have EVER spoken like that."
I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "Clearly you have no idea how your kids speak when you aren't there."

Just so many parents hopelessly trying to protect their kids from something that won't hurt them.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
What I wonder about "Bully" is how many F-bombs there are.
There are 7 "Fucks" in the movie, 5 of them are in the first 12 minutes. The film runs 98 minutes 37 seconds.
It's a good documentary.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 05:45 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta appreciate the irony that the MPAA thinks the kids in the movie shouldn't be able to see it.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 05:58 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The kids know whats going on, they live it every day. It's the principals and teachers with the parents, that should see this film. The parents blame the schools for not doing a better job of taking care of their kids. And the schools blame the parents for raising bad kids who beat up on the weaker ones.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 09:59 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seven 'F' bombs hardly qualifies as excessive in my opinion, especially if they basically all come at once. And the official rating reason says "Rated R for some language".

The real issue with this rating - as was the case with The King's Speech, is it undermines the integrity of the R rating.

Parents who might normally be concerned with their kids watching something like The Last House on the Left go to see a movie like The King's Speech, and they decide that R rated movies are not that bad.

I have said for a long time, the MPAA needs a rating between an R and a PG-13. However, the MPAA thinks the ratings descriptions are an adequate middle ground.

Maybe when they do their annual surveys, they need to ask questions that probe deeper. "Do you consider the MPAA ratings to be useful" is going to get a positive result from most parents. However, the question fails to determine whether parents feel each rating accurately reflect the content for various topics. By not asking more probing questions, the MPAA can easily support the view that the current system if fine and not in need of change.

With regard to Bully, apparently Joan Graves quoted a new survey that shows parents are more concerned with the 'F' word in PG-13 movies. When asked about the example of 2005's Gunner Palace which received a PG-13 despite 42 instances of the 'F' word, Graves simply dismissed the comparison by saying that was a different time and a different ratings board.
MPAA Survey: Parents Want F-Word Barred in PG-13 Movies

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-13-2012 10:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no one mentioned this article regarding Harvey Weinstein and Bully:
A Former Employee Asks Harvey Weinstein: "Can You Stop Being A Bully?"

There was a follow up article here where another employee said Weinstein was working on the problem and that Bully was a step toward redemption.

Anyway, I thought it was kind of humorous for the obvious contradictions between Weinstein's own volatile behavior and the campaign against bullying.

Regarding the profanity in the documentary, I agree with Mike. Why not just bleep out the words in order to get the PG or PG-13 rating? Most people can fill in the blanks and correctly imagine the profane word that was bleeped based on well known figures of speech, sentence structure, etc. So it's not like anyone is really missing any of the profane message being delivered, except for maybe young kids who haven't honed their chops at stringing together phrases of profanity yet. IIRC, a lot of my friends did this during little league baseball playing years. Bad News Bears thing I guess.

I haven't seen Bully yet so I don't know what all it did to earn a R-rating. So far I gather just a few curse words did it. You know what I find far more offensive and disturbing: explicit video of a group of kids singling out a particular kid and beating the living shit out of him/her. That sort of thing shows up on the news from time to time. It probably wouldn't be difficult to find such videos posted on YouTube. Recently here in the Lawton area a couple kids from Cache High School beat up a kid of Downs Syndrome, taped the beating and put it up on YouTube. The video was later taken down after the local news, school district and law enforcement got involved.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: