Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » France Kills Silver Screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: France Kills Silver Screen
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-09-2012 03:48 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.today3d.com/2012/03/france-kills-silver-screens-votes-out.html
quote:
France Kills The Silver Screens - votes out the usage of Passive 3D Cinema systems.
The CNC decided that all the theaters equipped with passive solution to remove all the silver screens in the 5 coming years.
All the theaters are required to apply the AFNOR standard that stipulate that the maximum light tolerance between center and angles of the screen cannot be more than 20%
With silver screen it is more than 50%. The CNC, CST and Directors guild consider that silver screens highly damage the quality of films in 2D and that is no more acceptable.
The exhibitors association has asked 5 years to proceed in order to amortize the investment.

CNC website:
I am pleased to announce this morning that we have an agreement, and I will therefore make the following decision: Based on the one hand the current situation of cinemas, financial and contractual commitments of the exhibitors but also secondly the need to ensure a quality projection in line with best
standards, the highest standards will apply in full to the quality of projection within five years.
Clearly, this means that for five years, standard NF S 27-001 will apply to all rooms, as well as the NF-S EXCEPT 27-100 as regards to the luminance. and in 5 years, all theater will fully have to comply with both standards including the luminance.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-09-2012 04:11 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the CNC and how did they get veto power over this stuff?

Google's best guess is the College of New Caledonia, followed by a manufacturer of woodworking tools, a Korean cosmetic company, more woodworking tools and a museum collection of insects...

And does this put Real D out of business in France? I believe that their contracts exceed five years, so where would that leave a French theatre with Real D?

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 04:24 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CNC - Centre national du cinéma et de l'image animée

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 05:14 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome because I truly HATE silver screens!

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vive la CNC! [beer] Lets hope they'll influence the rest of the world.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-10-2012 11:11 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why all of the hate for silver screens?

I can't hold myself out as any kind of an imaging expert, but I do know a bright, crisp image when I see one, and I see one when I walk into my auditorium. With a silver screen.

Are there problems that show up only on really large screens?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-10-2012 12:49 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
I can't hold myself out as any kind of an imaging expert, but I do know a bright, crisp image when I see one, and I see one when I walk into my auditorium. With a silver screen.
A bright image with a spot that is significantly brighter than everywhere else. You can try and reduce that effect all you want to make the brightness more uniform but getting it totally so is literally impossible with a silver screen.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-10-2012 03:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent 40 years removing silver screens and all "went back" in 12 months. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-10-2012 05:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silver screens do more than just make the image less uniform...they also seemingly ruin image resolution...put a focus pattern up on a Silver and compare it it to a white...it is amazing the difference. Then there is the whole color part...Silver screens make the image appear metallic.

I hate silver screens. They are bad for movies. As for Real-D and the contracts...I'm sure the contract will be null and void since most every contract has a stipulation that the rule of law takes precedence (normally to the point that only the portion of the contract that is shown to be in violation of the law is void).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-10-2012 08:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and you can't clean them like you can with white ones. ...and they're more expensive to replace.

Isn't it true that silver screens needs more light than the white ones for foot lambert measurements?

(Don't we just 'love' 3D and what it did to the industry?)

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2012 09:50 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
I spent 40 years removing silver screens and all "went back" in 12 months. Louis
Huh? So you put the silver screens back in after taking them out?

Frank,
The presence of the silver screen for Real3d is one of the major reasons that most people on this forum like this system the least. At least that is what I have taken from the many discussions.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2012 12:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis may have taken all of those silver screens out, but other installers put them back in.

Master Image (the spinning disc unit) also needs the silver screen.

Dolby is the one so far that uses the matte white screens since it uses a different process and eyeglass structure to match.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2012 04:57 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a 6 story 15/70 Imax show on a silver screen recently.
It was MI4 in 2d and the silver screen side effects stood out even more! [Frown]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2012 04:57 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xpand and Panavision will also work happily on a matt white screen, if you can get enough light on it in the first place.

Getting rid of silver screens is a big step forward [Smile]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-11-2012 07:39 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be a real bummer for Gaumont/Pathé, the absolute market leader in France. They invested a lot of money into RealD and only recently announced a large deal for hundreds of new screens (although not all of them in France).

I guess, RealD will either come with a different solution, probably based on interference filters like Dolby/Infitec within the next 5 years. Or hopefully, 3D will be almost dead again and limited to a few special venues.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: