Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP - Disney Songwriter, Robert Sherman

Author Topic: RIP - Disney Songwriter, Robert Sherman
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-06-2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Sherman, "Mary Poppins" and "Small World" Songwriter, Dead at 86

quote:
Robert B. Sherman, half of a fraternal duo that penned “It’s a Small World” and won a pair Academy Awards for “Mary Poppins,” died Monday in London. He was 86.

Sherman’s son, Jeff, posted a note on his Facebook page late Monday with the news.

“He went peacefully after months of truly valiantly fending off death. He loved life and his dear heart finally slowed to a stop when he could fight no more. I will write more about this incredible man I love and admire so much when I am better rested and composed. He deserves that,” Jeff Sherman wrote.

Born Dec. 19, 1925, in New York City, Sherman showed a creative streak early, writing a play, "Armistice and Dedication Day," at age 16. The play, about how Americans' lives were profoundly changed by the Pearl Harbor bombing of Dec. 7, 1941, raised thousands of dollars for war bonds, earning a citation from the War Department.

Sherman's dedication to his country went further in 1943 when he joined the U.S. Army at 17 with his parents' permission. In April 1945, he was among the first Allied forces to enter the Dachau concentration camp after it was abandoned by the German military. Later that month, he was shot in the knee, creating an injury that would leave him reliant on a cane for the remainder of his life.

Sherman was awarded several medals for his service during World War II, including a Purple Heart. He spent some time recovering form a gunshot wound in the United Kingdom, a place of endless fascination to the songwriter, and also where he died.

He and his brother Richard took the name the Sherman Brothers, spending years working directly for Walt Disney. Together, they penned music for such enduring Disney classics such as "Mary Poppins," "The Jungle Book," "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" -- as well as, of course, the Disney theme-park mainstay "It's a Small World (After All)."

Their work on "Mary Poppins" would earn the brothers two Academy Awards in 1965. Robert B. Sherman would go on to receive numerous other Academy Award nominations and two Grammy Awards. Sales-wise, he also amassed 23 gold and platinum albums.

In 2005, Sherman was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, along with his brother and fellow inductees Bill Withers, Steve Cropper, John Fogerty, Isaac Hayes and David Porter.

Sherman dabbled in other creative arts, including clay and metal sculpture, and he had a decades-long interest in painting, which he studied while attending Bard College. He largely kept his painting private until 2002, when an exhibition of his work was held at Thompson's Gallery in London. Exhibitions in Florida and California followed.

Sherman married Joyce Ruth Sasner in 1953, with whom he had four children. Joyce died in 2001.

If you're a fan of the Sherman Brothers' music, then you should definitely check out the documentary, "The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story." It was on Netflix streaming a while ago but, for now anyway, it is a disc-only title.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2012 06:20 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess now that he's passed away,
instead of composing, he'll be DE-composing!
[Roll Eyes]

RIP, Mr Sherman! You're musical talents brought smiles
to many faces over several generations. My dad is 93,
and he STILL goes around humming "It's A Small, Small World"

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-06-2012 08:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was truly amazed to learn how many of the theme park tunes they wrote. One of my favorites was "Makin' Memories" -- the musical component of a brilliant multi-projector slide show montage at Epcot's Magic Eye Pavillion.

I'm referring to the pre-show for "Captain E/O," which was presented by Kodak. "Makin' Memories" was an elaborate Kodak promo --

quote:
"takin' pictures is makin' memories / catchin' little pieces of time / makin' 'em yours / and makin' 'em mine."
-- a great show, with one of the catchiest tunes I ever heard. I bought the Disneyland CD just for that one track. I still play it.

And, of course, Walt's all-time favorite (and mine) "Feed the Birds" from "Mary Poppins."

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-06-2012 08:17 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But then there is the ultimate ear worm: It's a Small World (after all).

I hope he lived a good life, because if he's in hell that will be all he hears for eternity [evil]

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-06-2012 08:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh. Yes. As catchy as "Small World" is -- it is perhaps a tad bit too repetitive.

Of the Sherman brothers, Robert was reportedly the brooding one. He put on a happy face for publicity purposes but, underneath it all, he wasn't a happy camper.

See the documentary!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2012 10:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Small World" isn't too bad if you only hear it once. It's riding that theme-park ride and hearing it over and over for what seems like an hour that gets you.

The Sherman Brothers did write some wonderful songs though. I would have to say my favorite is "Bare Necessities" from "The Jungle Book."

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2012 11:28 AM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" wasn't a Disney, correct? That was one of their early departures from Disney, but did still have an office there. That was sort of the "beginning of the end" of the relationship with Disney.

All in all some of the most memorable music I've heard.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-18-2012 04:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Balko
but "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" wasn't a Disney, correct
True..released by United Artists (1968) and made by the "007" people of Albert R. Broccoli, written by Ian Fleming.

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-18-2012 08:11 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the report got that one wrong. I could see how, though. Musically speaking, I have always felt that "Chitty" was a wannabe copycat of "Mary Poppins." (Not to mention the casting of Dick Van Dyke...)

"Me Old Bamboo" sounds an awful lot like "Step in Time"
"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is a bit of a tongue-twister, similar to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocius."
And there's a hint of "Feed the Birds" in "Hushabye Mountain."

The most unique "CCBB" song (imho) is, "Kiddy-Widdy-Winkies," which does not appear in the film version. It was written (by the Sherman Bros.) for the live theatrical version in 2001.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-02-2012 09:14 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The Sherman Brothers did write some wonderful songs though. I would have to say my favorite is "Bare Necessities" from "The Jungle Book."
Which is the only song in "Jungle Book" that the Sherman Bros. didn't write. (It was written by Terry Gilkyson).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2012 11:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. Crap. Well, I'll have to go back to the list and pick a new fave.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: