Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rob Kurrus, R.I.P.

Author Topic: Rob Kurrus, R.I.P.
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 10:53 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I sit here, I am devastated over the loss of a peer that I have know for 20 years. Rob died in a plane crash Wednesday night. I worked with him at Cobb Theatres and at Regal Cinemas. He was one of the few people that were truly a Showman in our business. He will be sorely missed.

The link to the news story:
LINK

This is a quote from John Fithian of NATO:

"Our industry has lost a truly amazing spirit. Long-time NATO member Rob Kurrus has died. Rob, co-owner and president of Premiere Theaters in Melbourne, Florida was killed in the crash of a small plane he was piloting as it approached Melbourne International Airport Wednesday evening. Two others aboard the plane were also killed.
An avid traveler and adventurer, Rob died doing one of the things he loved most.

Rob entered the theater business at the age of 22 in 1989, working as an assistant manager for Cobb Theatres at the location where Premiere’s Oaks 10 now stands. By the time he was he was 27, he was managing 18 Cobb theaters from St. Augustine to Key West. When Regal Cinemas bought Cobb in 1997, he was promoted to run Regal’s northeast United States region. Two years later, he was promoted to vice president of technology for Regal. In 2002, he founded Premiere Theaters.
Rob was a dedicated and active volunteer in the industry, serving as a member of NATO’s Advisory Board and the Laser Technology Committee. He also served on the board of SouthEast NATO and as president of NATO of Florida. He also traveled frequently across the country to serve on the MPAA Ratings Appeals Board in Los Angeles.
Rob was also active in his community, volunteering for, among others, Brevard County Schools Foundation, the Strawberry Festival and United Way. In 2004, when hurricanes Frances and Jeanne hit Brevard County hard, Rob opened his theater – one of the few places still with power – to his employees to shelter there, and then opened it to the public to enjoy movies and air conditioning at his own expense.
He is survived by his wife, Stephanie and his children, Maddy, C. Scott and Jessica.
Rob's passing is unfair, unjust and simply maddening. He will be missed dearly by the many people who were lucky enough to call him friend."

R.I.P. my friend....

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 11:14 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for your loss Dennis.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: