Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How do they keep selling Hitachi Deskstars!?

Author Topic: How do they keep selling Hitachi Deskstars!?
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 03:09 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously.
They were unacceptably unreliable when IBM had the division.
You'd think by now Hitachi would have stabilized them. Or at least changed the name...jeez.

I ended up with 2 of these pieces of duke today.
The first one had the click of death straight away and has been exchanged for a seagate.
The other kept refusing to join the raid and now is being looking more and more like a headcrash situation.
The drives were sold as "new" TODAY. Friggin Fry's, man. And Friggin Hitachi!

|  IP: Logged

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 06:56 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean IBM Deathstars?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 02:58 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose so. Hitachi has owned it for the last ... 8-10 years at least.
Either way. What a piece of junk. Never again.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-02-2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why it is a bad idea to buy consumer-grade hard disks. The Hitachi Ultrastars are fine.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 04:59 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I know they're Hitachi's now, but the joke going around back in the IBM days was that they were Deathstars [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2012 07:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of 'em.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 08:09 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're the official hard drive of Galactic Empire...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 08:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and I still have a computer with a Deskstar still spinning away..built in 2000.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-02-2012 10:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a computer with a 10GB hard drive in it...still running. You can figure out the date. [Razz]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2012 08:05 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several of these that I use for err.... storage of things, and they're fine after several years of use. I did have one fail, but that one was dropped on the floor by accident. Come to think of it, I've never had any brand hard drive fail yet (knock on wood).

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2012 01:40 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I've had mediocre experience with Maxtor. I feel like their quality has gone down hill over the years.
I still have a 500mb Conner and a Samsung of the same vintage in a couple old boxes that still run.
But Samsung is quality in just about everything.
Lately it seems like Western Digital has them all beat though. Been running some of these bad-boys for upwards of 10 years no problem.
Heck, I had a 20gb in a box that's NEVER turned off. Got it used and the machine was up for about 2 years without a reboot until the drive eventually failed. But the history is anybody's guess.

Spinning some Seagates in this box now, we'll see. In the past they weren't the best but they did ok.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: