Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Recommend me a new TV (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Recommend me a new TV
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-29-2012 05:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want a new TV. I want it to be around 55 or 60 inches. But from my initial research it seems like all TVs pretty much suck. I mean some seem good in many areas but fall way short in other areas. I do not like compromises. Here's what a TV must do:

-Be capable of displaying all resolutions from 240p to 1080p.

-Have as little lag as possible without needing to switch to some dumb-ass "game" mode.

-At least 120Hz with the ability to turn all motion interpolation off in all modes.

-Have more than 2 HDMI inputs, at least one component input, at least 1 s-video input (many TVs seem to be lacking this) and at least one composite input. All of this shit must be on the back of the god damn TV. None of this side shit or front shit. If it has jacks on the front and/or side, that's fine but it must be in addition to the crap that needs to be on the rear.

-Must be quiet. No loud fans.

-I must be able to see every individual star in a starfield. The TV cannot wash these out with weird LED schemes and whatnot.

-Must have bigger than 100 degree viewfield without any washout at all, period.

Price is not an issue but I am not looking for something based on price alone (ie: the most expensive thing is not always the best). I would consider a projector but I am concerned about shitty bulb life, loud fans and warm-up times longer than 10-15 seconds.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-29-2012 06:35 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased a 50" Panasonic plasma about 6 months ago and I absolutely love it. It has 3 HDMI inputs, the viewing angle is probably 270° as I can see the picture fine from my kitchen which is way off to the side.

The price was about $850. I realize this isn't the 55-60" you're looking for, but I still thought I would put in my 2¢.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-29-2012 07:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All information is helpful. Maybe they make a 55 inch version?

Robert D Hall
Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2012 07:43 PM      Profile for Robert D Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Robert D Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a new 55in vizio and i love it. It has the best picture i have ever seen. The web apps kick ass netflix and amazon HD video look as good as a BR on it. Has all kinds of hook ups all in the back. And i got it at walmart.com for 899.

link

Richard Orsak
Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2012 07:53 PM      Profile for Richard Orsak   Email Richard Orsak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased this unit a year ago:

Panasonic VIERA TC-P54VT25 54-inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV

(online from the BIG place...still available)

(the 2012 model is the VT30)

It has been exceptional, with very natural and lifelike colors - not overly punchy and cartoon like.

I wasn't quite happy with the red balance, and CNET had tested the unit with some recommended settings they applied. I set up the red balance as they suggested which was like 2 clicks from normal, and it has been great!
(There are lots of advanced tweaking available with this unit, not just normal tint and color saturation controls...)

The reviews of the 2012 model are virtually exactly the same in blind tests, but the newer unit is suppose to have better and deeper blacks but that wasn't really evident from what I read.

I went to a Saints game and when I viewed the highlights on ESPN, the field was exactly the same shade as in person. A Samsung unit made it way more green than it actually was, kinda like a grass baseball field. That sold me on Panasonics.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-29-2012 08:09 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Samsung from Costco. There are 3 (so far) in my family. Louis

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2012 08:23 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vizio XVT553SV

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2012 10:39 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to go wrong with plasma. I have a 50 inch LG I got for $599 and with some tweeking from Digital Video Essentials bluray picture is way better than lcd. Cheaper too. Panasonic and Samsung plasmas are good as well.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-29-2012 11:33 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Panasonic Plasma Pro set as well as a Pioneer Kuro (sp).

Both put out awesome pictures with very accurate color and deep blacks.

The Pioneer does use major power and you can actually feel the heat boiling off the screen from a foot away.

IMHO, the Panasonic plasma sets are hard to beat for specs and great value for the $$.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2012 03:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two VISIO 37 inchers in my house (mine, the 120hz, is connected to my computer downstairs via HDMI so I can play my BR's through) and really like them (got them both at Costco..)

Now, a newbie question: LED and Plasma ... what's the difference and who wins..if any?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2012 09:29 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beware of Vizio. I read somewhere that they will not repair them. If they break under warranty, they will replace it, and not necessarily with the same model. If it is out of warranty, you are out of luck.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2012 10:56 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may have been resolved by now, but Samsung LCD's, which I find look fabulous, had a problem with four caps in the power supply which were rated about 20% under their operating voltage, with the expected results. My son had his go out, and when he went to the electronic supply store and ordered the four new ones, the guy said, "Oh, you've got a Samsung TV". I have two of them with no problems, and his has been fine since he swapped out those caps. As I said, this may have been resolved by now.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2012 11:11 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plasmas have a wider viewing angle while leds are best viewed front and middle. Think of leds as a silver screen. Kinda like that.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2012 11:21 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently replaced my 7 year old Epson Powerlite 50C 720p projector with an Epson powerlite home cinema 8350 http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H373120#0 and I absolutely love it. Has all of your required inputs, is dead silent, and comes to full brightness in about 1 minute. It also has outstanding lens shifting ability so that if you can't mount it exactly center to your screen it can be pretty far off to the side and the image can be centered with no keystoning. They claim you can get up to 4000 hours on a lamp if you run it in a lower brightness mode. I found with Epson (with my old projector) that their bulb estimates are pretty accurate. New bulbs are a little under $300.

Omar Rodriguez
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2012 12:48 PM      Profile for Omar Rodriguez   Email Omar Rodriguez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if any of you read Stu Maschwitz' blog, Prolost, but he had a pretty good rant on the state of HDTV's.

http://prolost.com/blog/2011/3/28/your-new-tv-ruins-movies.html

His blog in general is a lot of fun to read. He's the founder of The Orphanage VFX studio in SF (where I worked for a season).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: