Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Thoughts on the 84th Academy Awards telecast... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Thoughts on the 84th Academy Awards telecast...
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 04:17 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thoughts about the Academy Awards: For the first time in years, I had not seen the majority of the movies. In fact, Moneyball and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo were the only major nominees I have seen.

The show was ok, but nothing special. Billy Crystal was a safe and steady choice, but he hardly knocked it out of the park. Anyone else think he's looking more like Christopher Walken as he ages?

Jennifer Lopez: were my eyes deceiving me, or was your dress playing a peek-a-boo with your areola?

The Robert Downey Jr./Gwyneth Paltrow bit was amusing, as was the mock focus group footage.

The stars talking about their personal feelings about movies was probably the most interesting part of the show.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-27-2012 04:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am swelling with great pride in saying that I did not watch it. I still have no idea who "the big winners" are. I did see maybe 6 seconds of Billy Crystal's opening as I walked into the room to go take a nap. He was singing some awful song and doing jazz hands. That right there encapsulated 100% of what shows like the Academy Awards are about. Take it as you will, but I am not artsy-fartsy enough to appreciate that kind of nonsense nor the movies which were nominated (don't even remember which ones were). Also, why is Billy Crystal still permitted to be alive?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 06:29 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody won. A lot of people received Oscars, but no one was declared a winner.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 09:50 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to know it's kinda a slow year when The Artist is touted like it's the best movie since Gone with the Wind.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 10:37 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the 84th year in a row, the worst Academy Awards ever.

Billy Crystal made even Armani look bad.

The whole thing felt like an overproduced episode of the Carol Burnett Show.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 10:57 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I thought the show was a lot better than a few past shows. There was no annoying performances of the nominated songs. Most of the speeches were tolerable. Billy Crystal was funny, could have been funnier but still funny. Will Farrell and Zack Galafianakis were funny. J Lo and Natalie Portman looked nice.

I think when Billy (or anyone) does those opening songs, they should put subtitles at the bottom of the screen. It was kind of hard to keep up with especially on the less-familiar movies.

The obligatory segment on the technical awards was short and sweet, not 12 minutes long like it has been sometimes. The nomination lists were quick and interestingly presented.

The segments with various celebrities talking about their feelings about movies was fun to watch. It's always fun to watch those people really being themselves, not trying to put on a "face" like they do on talk shows and such.

I was glad to see Meryl Streep win. You just don't get nominated that many times unless you're really good, and she lost the previous 13 times so she was due, no matter what anybody says.

I also was glad to see Christopher Plummer pull off an award. I haven't seen his movie but I think it was more a "body of work" award anyway. His acceptance speech was cool.

I was glad to see the four acting awards spread among four different movies.

If the show lacked anything, it was a "holy crap!" moment where somebody said something really controversial or shocking.

I really liked the way they made the theater look, especially the red curtain. Classy.

I was pulling for "Hugo" for Best Picture, but "The Artist" had it locked up on uniqueness and style. I don't resent it for winning...it was a good field this year. Haters gonna hate, but there were some really good movies and a lot of duds, just like every year.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 12:04 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best part of the whole show for me was listening to Brad Pitt describe the plot of War of the Gargantuas, an old Toho Studios monster flick that was his earliest movie memory. And, I've gotta say it, I do NOT understand what all the screaming is about over his girlfriend, Ms. Jolie. Classic butter face, as far as I'm concerned.

Very interesting how large LED screens are being worked into stage design in place of both front and rear projection. Looked very good too, I might add.

I thought that both The Decendents and The Tree of Life would have been better for Best Picture. I enjoyed The Artist, but it was the safe choice, instead of the daring one.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 12:08 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
it was the safe choice, instead of the daring one.
Wasn't that the theme of the show [evil]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't watch. The whole thing is political anyhow and the Academy judges have the worst taste of anyone on the planet.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 01:31 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert summed it up nicely IMHO. I didn't watch and couldn't care less who won.

quote:
Very interesting how large LED screens are being worked into stage design in place of both front and rear projection. Looked very good too, I might add.
I don't find it interesting, I find it disturbing. It's bad enough that we are losing film to be replaced with video, but to go even further down the resolution/performance scale, especially on what is supposed to be the movie industry's biggest event, is pathetic.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys who didn't watch the show, yet are commenting on how bad it is, are ridiculous.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do NOT understand what all the screaming is about over ... Ms. Jolie. Classic butter face, as far as I'm concerned.
Funny, I was thinking almost the same thing.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 02:55 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter was robbed.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 03:27 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was working last night and did not watch.

Recently I heard an interview with Woody Allen concerning why he does not go to the Oscars. Being in the industry a while, I've come full circle and realize now that I tend to agree with him.

You cannot judge art. Especially when it comes to Hollywood's version of art.

Similar to the awards that exhibitors dole out to each other during what used to be called Showest (now Cinemacon). I remember seeing people that I worked with getting awards and knowing them personally - they did not deserve any award whatsoever.

The Academy Awards are just a bunch of rich Hollywood People giving people awards that they deem "worthy"....

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
You guys who didn't watch the show, yet are commenting on how bad it is, are ridiculous.
Hey Mike: I watched the thing for most of my nearly 80 years. That's what brought me to my conclusion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: