Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What's the best computer antivirus software these days? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's the best computer antivirus software these days?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-22-2012 11:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, we got a new computer in our office and it didn't come with any antivirus pre-installed. Win7 is bugging me to install something but there are 30 different vendors, many of which I've never heard of.

What's the best way to go these days, antivirus-wise? We had McAfee on the old computer and it was only partially effective.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-22-2012 11:54 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could start out with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) - it's free for download and install with Windows 7. Even though it is free, it's been reviewed as being pretty good.

On my new HTPC, I started with MSE. Then a few weeks later it caught a browser hijacker that MSE had let through. After finding the manual solution on www.malwarebytes.org for getting rid of that POS bug (just so I could use the machine again), I added Malwarebytes to my HTPC's protection suite (free download for 30-day evaluation, then pay some nominal fee). I run both quick scans every time I boot the machine, and have had no antivirus issues since then.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-22-2012 12:09 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 01:05 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use ESET Smart Security with both AV and personal firewall, it runs $45/yr if you buy the 2 year license . . . . it gets cheaper if you license it for more PCs.

They also have an AV only version.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 01:06 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike: Given that Microsoft Security Essentials is free, for goodness sake install it even if you replace it later, but honestly I've found it effective and it's all I use. Also, FWIW, you can have serious problems if you use two anti-virus programs, so if you add another you should disable or uninstall the first.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 03:04 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some anti-virus programs will not install unless you uninstall the one you already have on.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-22-2012 03:27 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The free version of avast has seemed pretty good to me.

A lot of people use the free version avg, although it's more memory intensive but that won't matter in most cases.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 03:59 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AVG is free and works well for me.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 04:17 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft Security Essentials is very well reviewed by experts I respect. For most purposes, it should be fine. When I'm setting up a system for someone, I usually just install this.

If you want something a bit stronger, I have had very good luck with Norton 360. It installs easily and works in the background. I have had no problems with it since installing.

I had a terrible experience with BitDefender. It was very picky about what other software was installed. It worked well but it just was a pain to update. I had to send a complete list of everything on my computer plus info on the hardware to get it to work correctly. Just too much trouble.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-22-2012 06:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the recommendations. I talked to our computer guy and he told me that MS Security Essentials was supposed to already be installed, but it wasn't for some reason. So....it's now installed.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 07:32 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend for Windows Users: A combination of AVG For Free & Spybot Search and Destroy. Both are free and both work.

I love the cartoon. As an a Unix guy myself - it's freakin hilarious..

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-23-2012 09:08 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2012 07:33 AM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Avast' anti-virus! Its been very good (XP version) and does not seem to hog system resources like some. Updates automatically. Basic version is free. [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-24-2012 10:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AVG-Free is my go-to basic anti-virus. I dislike Norton, McAfee, and Symantic...they seem to cause more problems than they solve.

I've yet to get a virus with AVG installed. Then again, aside from F-T, I don't go to risky sites.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2012 12:32 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AVG for free.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: