Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jury Duty (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jury Duty
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2012 10:09 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently got a form mailed to to fill out and return. Says I could be called in the next two months. I'm not sure how I feel about this. My Dad is a judge and I know most of the judges and lawyers, (I take my dad to work every morning and see them in Chambers and the courtroom). Last time I was in a jury was about 35 years ago, my dad was in law school and had a mock trial, they were picking jurors and I ran up and volunteered.

I also watch too many crime/drama shows these days so I don't know how I would react.

guilty,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-09-2012 10:49 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't sweat it. I've been on the jury pool here several times over the past decades and I've only had to serve in a trial one time. The other times, either the trial was cancelled before it happened due to any number of reasons -- or if it went on I didn't get selected.

If you do have to serve, depending on what kind of trial it is, it can be boring at times but the way the whole process works is very interesting.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2012 11:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember, opinionated people are less likely to be picked

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-09-2012 11:16 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead and go on jury duty.

In many states, there is a "One Day or One Trial" system.
You go and sit in the jury pool for one day. If you are selected for a trial, you continue on that case until it is complete. Otherwise you go home at the end of the first day.

Sometimes you are on jury duty for a set period of time.
You might go and interview to be on the jury panel and, if selected, you can be called to a trial at any time during that period. If there are no trials during your tenure, you don't do anything. At the end of your jury period, usually a week or a month, you are off the hook.

In Pennsylvania, regular trials are "One day or One Trial" for regular cases and a one month panel for grand juries.

My wife was on the grand jury last summer and she never even got called once.

Since your father is a judge and you know most of the lawyers and staff at the courthouse, you'll probably be ripe for exclusion from a lot of cases.

When juries are selected, lawyers can challenge any juror.
They have a set number of "peremptory" challenges where they don't have to give a reason for excluding a person. If they just don't like the color of your shirt, they just exclude you. They are usually only given two or three peremptory challenges.
There is also "challenge for cause" where the lawyer selecting jurors has to provide a tangible reason. Common challenges for cause are because the potential juror knows somebody associated with the case or because they might have a bias against the defendant.

Go ahead and report as planned. In your case, I beg you'll be excluded because you know so many people. If so, you will have done your civic duty and you'll be off the hook.

If you get selected, let's hope it's for a multiple murder case. [Wink]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-09-2012 11:20 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, posted simultaneously with Randy. What he said. More than likely Richard you won't have to actually serve at all, since you have a close relative who happens to be a judge. During jury selection, attorneys for both sides get to dismiss a certain number of jury candidates. Candidates with any kind of law enforcement or legal profession backgrounds (even casual ones) usually get dismissed - supposedly such candidates are seen as less than the ideal theoretical "jury of your peers."

The one time I appeared for jury duty (in Santa Monica, CA), I wore a suit. And apparently a "he looks guilty" look on my face. The defense counsel dismissed me. I remember the amusing look of surprise the prosecutor gave at that point - I think he was counting on having me aboard for that trial. Anyway, I never had to appear in-person again. I just called in every day until my two weeks of eligibility ran out.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-09-2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if any CEOs or movie directors had to postpone important meetings or shooting a big scene because they happened to get called in for jury duty. I'm not so sure our citizens are capable of being impartial and looking only at the facts. There's some people who honestly believe that a woman can't get pregnant when "truly raped" because their body goes into shock and won't "drop an egg" and nothing you can tell or show them will change their minds. This is also why some people should not be allowed to vote.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-09-2012 04:59 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I wonder if any CEOs or movie directors had to postpone important meetings or shooting a big scene because they happened to get called in for jury duty.
Unlikely since you can ask to be excused from a jury and give reasons. One commonly used reason (that's often denied) is that you putting you on the jury would put you under extreme hardship or that doing so would cause that for your company (since you are such an important person in your company). And likely, a CEO or movie director would fall under the "super important person" for the job.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2012 08:57 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been called once in Atlanta...Fulton County and as soon as the defense attorney discovered that I was a former police officer he bounced my ass right out....lol

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2012 11:12 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
putting you on the jury would put you under extreme hardship or that doing so would cause that for your company
I'm not sure about the "company hardship" part-
Rules might vary by state. I was last called for J-Duty
two weeks ago, and one of the factors I mentioned in my
'hardship' application was that I worked for a small organization,
my boss was out of town, and that we also had one person who
was out recovering from surgery. I tried to explain
that my absense would be difficult for the company.

The judge, when reviewing my paper explained to me that
according to the rules of the court (at least here in CA)
he could only consider what effect being out of work would
have on ME, and that any negative effects on my employer or
anyone else were of no concern to the court.

(The only exception would be if I were the 'primary care'
provider to an infant, sick, elderly or disabled person-
then the court could consider the effect of my absense
on another person.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-09-2012 11:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I served twice - learned quite a bit from both services.

Pay kinda tanked though..

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 01:36 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The judge, when reviewing my paper explained to me that
according to the rules of the court (at least here in CA)
he could only consider what effect being out of work would
have on ME, and that any negative effects on my employer or
anyone else were of no concern to the court.

Well, if that judge literally said that then you should know that he's flat out wrong.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/cms/rules/index.cfm?title=two&linkid=rule2_1008
quote:
(4)The prospective juror will bear an undue risk of material injury to or destruction of the prospective juror's property or property entrusted to the prospective juror, and it is not feasible to make alternative arrangements to alleviate the risk. In determining whether to excuse the prospective juror for this reason, consideration must be given to:

(A)The nature of the property;

(B)The source and duration of the risk;

(C)The probability that the risk will be realized;

(D)The reason alternative arrangements to protect the property cannot be made; and

(E)Whether material injury to or destruction of the property will so disrupt the economic stability of any individual as to be against the interests of justice.

You can be dismissed based on how being on the jury will affect you... and any property that you are in charge of (assuming you can argue that the effect to it cannot be mitigated with you spending time on a jury). And in this case, the property is the business itself.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2012 08:08 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NJ is the "one day and out" system. You sit in a big room watching a tiny tv on a dreadful station, and if you're not empaneled by the end of the day that's it for 5-7 years. On the other hand, if you ask for a deferral, you'll hear from them within 6 months and it starts all over. I was only empaneled once, and it was a lawsuit by a homeowner against a contractor for a faulty furnace. During voire dire they asked us all our business. I said I was a contractor (actually true although not my primary business) and I was out the door in 5 minutes. It's no sweat.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 08:32 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bring something to read, most of your time is spent waiting to be picked.

Lawyers, cops, prison guards, spokesmen for the ACLU are almost always struck first. It doesn't mean you get to go home right away, but they may quit calling you back for the rest of the week.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 10:28 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember how hard those stinking wooden chairs are! Of course now I have a tablet with 30-odd movies on it, so I guess that would help.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 10:20 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Put down that your dad is a judge, and cite his name - no court clerk in his right mind would leave you in the jury pool.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: