Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Oscar Nominees Announced 1/24/2012 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Oscar Nominees Announced 1/24/2012
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2012 08:40 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar Nominations announced 1/24/2012. Very tough to pick this years winners as there are no clear favorites such as last year's KING'S SPEECH. Best Actress will be especially tough.

Best Picture
"The Artist" Thomas Langmann, Producer
"The Descendants" Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Producers
"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" Scott Rudin, Producer
"The Help" Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, Producers
"Hugo" Graham King and Martin Scorsese, Producers
"Midnight in Paris" Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, Producers
"Moneyball" Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, Producers
"The Tree of Life" Nominees to be determined
"War Horse" Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers

Actor in a Leading Role
Demián Bichir in "A Better Life"
George Clooney in "The Descendants"
Jean Dujardin in "The Artist"
Gary Oldman in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
Brad Pitt in "Moneyball"

Actor in a Supporting Role
Kenneth Branagh in "My Week with Marilyn"
Jonah Hill in "Moneyball"
Nick Nolte in "Warrior"
Christopher Plummer in "Beginners"
Max von Sydow in "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

Actress in a Leading Role
Glenn Close in "Albert Nobbs"
Viola Davis in "The Help"
Rooney Mara in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
Meryl Streep in "The Iron Lady"
Michelle Williams in "My Week with Marilyn"

Actress in a Supporting Role
Bérénice Bejo in "The Artist"
Jessica Chastain in "The Help"
Melissa McCarthy in "Bridesmaids"
Janet McTeer in "Albert Nobbs"
Octavia Spencer in "The Help"

Animated Feature Film
"A Cat in Paris" Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli
"Chico & Rita" Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal
"Kung Fu Panda 2" Jennifer Yuh Nelson
"Puss in Boots" Chris Miller
"Rango" Gore Verbinski

Art Direction
"The Artist"
Production Design: Laurence Bennett; Set Decoration: Robert Gould
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2"
Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan
"Hugo"
Production Design: Dante Ferretti; Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo
"Midnight in Paris"
Production Design: Anne Seibel; Set Decoration: Hélène Dubreuil
"War Horse"
Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Lee Sandales

Cinematography
"The Artist" Guillaume Schiffman
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Jeff Cronenweth
"Hugo" Robert Richardson
"The Tree of Life" Emmanuel Lubezki
"War Horse" Janusz Kaminski

Costume Design
"Anonymous" Lisy Christl
"The Artist" Mark Bridges
"Hugo" Sandy Powell
"Jane Eyre" Michael O'Connor
"W.E." Arianne Phillips

Directing
"The Artist" Michel Hazanavicius
"The Descendants" Alexander Payne
"Hugo" Martin Scorsese
"Midnight in Paris" Woody Allen
"The Tree of Life" Terrence Malick

Documentary (Feature)
"Hell and Back Again"
Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner
"If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front"
Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman
"Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory"
Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
"Pina"
Wim Wenders and Gian-Piero Ringel
"Undefeated"
TJ Martin, Dan Lindsay and Richard Middlemas

Documentary (Short Subject)
"The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement"
Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin
"God Is the Bigger Elvis"
Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson
"Incident in New Baghdad"
James Spione
"Saving Face"
Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
"The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom"
Lucy Walker and Kira Carstensen

Film Editing
"The Artist" Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius
"The Descendants" Kevin Tent
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall
"Hugo" Thelma Schoonmaker
"Moneyball" Christopher Tellefsen

Foreign Language Film
"Bullhead" Belgium
"Footnote" Israel
"In Darkness" Poland
"Monsieur Lazhar" Canada
"A Separation" Iran

Makeup
"Albert Nobbs"
Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and Matthew W. Mungle
Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
"The Iron Lady"
Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

Music (Original Score)
"The Adventures of Tintin" John Williams
"The Artist" Ludovic Bource
"Hugo" Howard Shore
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" Alberto Iglesias
"War Horse" John Williams

Music (Original Song)
"Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets" Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie
"Real in Rio" from "Rio" Music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown Lyric by Siedah Garrett

Short Film (Animated)
"Dimanche/Sunday" Patrick Doyon
"The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg
"La Luna" Enrico Casarosa
"A Morning Stroll" Grant Orchard and Sue Goffe
"Wild Life" Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby

Short Film (Live Action)
"Pentecost" Peter McDonald and Eimear O'Kane
"Raju" Max Zähle and Stefan Gieren
"The Shore" Terry George and Oorlagh George
"Time Freak" Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey
"Tuba Atlantic" Hallvar Witzø

Sound Editing
"Drive" Lon Bender and Victor Ray Ennis
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Ren Klyce
"Hugo" Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl
"War Horse" Richard Hymns and Gary Rydstrom

Sound Mixing
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Bo Persson
"Hugo"
Tom Fleischman and John Midgley
"Moneyball"
Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, Dave Giammarco and Ed Novick
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"
Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin
"War Horse"
Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and Stuart Wilson

Visual Effects
Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson
"Hugo"
Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning
"Real Steel"
Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes"
Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"
Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John Frazier

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
"The Descendants" Screenplay by Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash
"Hugo" Screenplay by John Logan
"The Ides of March" Screenplay by George Clooney & Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon
"Moneyball" Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin Story by Stan Chervin
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" Screenplay by Bridget O'Connor & Peter Straughan

Writing (Original Screenplay)
"The Artist" Written by Michel Hazanavicius
"Bridesmaids" Written by Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig
"Margin Call" Written by J.C. Chandor
"Midnight in Paris" Written by Woody Allen
"A Separation" Written by Asghar Farhadi

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-24-2012 08:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I haven't even heard of most of these movies. I thought Hugo was a CGI animated cartoon.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-24-2012 11:09 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to see the animation category get a little more "validated" by the fact that they didn't automatically put this year's Pixar toon in there. I think Rango should win that category easily.

Also there are only nine movies listed in the Best Picture category - is one missing, or are there really only nine nominees?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-24-2012 11:21 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They changed the rules so they can nom up to 10 instead of having 10 everytime. I think they got the message there aren't that many good films;>

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-24-2012 11:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see any of the docs or foreign films this year. They usually turn up at festivals, but that has not happened yet. I'm sure that some of them will get distribution in 2012.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-24-2012 11:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - you're right about Actress being a tough one.

Glenn Close in "Albert Nobbs" - might win because she's a really good actress and is due for an Oscar (I've never seen this movie though)

Viola Davis in "The Help" - might win because she's black (it can't hurt) plus the movie was hugely popular

Rooney Mara in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - might win because it's the hot new movie, although any awards for this series might have to wait until all three movies are out

Meryl Streep in "The Iron Lady" - might win because she's Meryl Streep

Michelle Williams in "My Week with Marilyn" - might win due to all the others cancelling each other out

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2012 02:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to see Gary Rydstrom is doing sound again.

AJG

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-24-2012 08:55 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I though the Harry Potter soundtrack was pretty awesome. Maybe I'm out of touch on what's officially awesome in that category though.

I love the "Man or Muppet" nomination. [Smile]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-24-2012 09:51 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really put my finger on it, but the nominations have kind of a different feel than normal. Maybe it's because I haven't seen most of the films nominated. But I almost feel like the noms point to the fact that the quality of movies in 2011 wasn't that great.

I agree with Mike about Cars 2 not being nomination worth, but I don't think that Puss in Boots or Rango were anything special either. Although Rango is interesting from an animation standpoint.

The only nomination that stands out to me as a clear favorite is Rise of the Planet of the Apes for Visual Effects.

Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2012 03:04 PM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of the documentary noms. are already stirring up trouble. "If a Tree Falls" is about the Earth Liberation Front - they set off bombs to save forests. "Paradise Lost 3" is the third installment about the Goth rockers in Arkansas who may have been framed for killing a child. The dead childs' parents officially asked that the film not be nominated. As you'd expect, both films are causing open warfare on IMDB.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2012 04:54 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last few years, Oscars have been trying their best to kill their own show with such inane nominations. If you are going to nominate ok bland stuff, then you might as well nominate movies like Rise of the Planet of the Apes or Harry Potter which are at least made well and would bring viewers to the show.

Spreading best pic to 10 nominees was a terrible idea. If they wanted to make the nominees more relevant, how about nominating better movies in the 5 you get? Nominate movies which don't make you go "uh?? what's the fuss about" when you actually end up watching it. I still haven't finished King's Speech. I am done with the Colin Firth OD of movies in my "oscar" type movies. It didn't look bad. But it certainly didn't look like a must see from the 20 min I saw. At least Bridesmaids, even if it is no better than the many other comedies not nominated in the past, will draw some viewers.

I catch a lot of past oscar nominated movies on TV these days and I am just underwhelmed by a lot of them. Well, at least Judi Dench wasn't nominated for something this year. And can we have a best song list without a single kid's song or an adult contemporary soccer mom song just once?

And does Michelle Williams do anything but show her puppy dog eyes and look very low energy in almost every role she does?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2012 10:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is, the Oscar show is expected to draw a lot of viewers to give a good value for its advertisers. An Oscar-worthy movie isn't always expected to please the widest audience. So you have a conflict of purpose there.

Sometimes the best movie is also the most popular one, but that doesn't happen all that often.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-01-2012 03:22 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have this discussion every year. I agree that 10 nominations was a horrible idea *IF* your goal was to pick the movie that is truly THE BEST. But that's not the goal. If it was the goal, they would say, "the winner for Best Picture is..." but instead they now say, "the oscar goes to..." which basically turns it into little more than an arbitrary popularity contest among the academy members.

If you want to know what consumers thought the best movie was (which to me is a real quantifiable measure of success), go to boxofficemojo.com. Why the most successful isn't considered the best in Hollywood is beyond me.

Actually, it's not beyond me. I look at who's in Hollywood and I totally understand why that is.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2012 05:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's because the best films of today aren't the highest grossers.

You don't think Adele is making the best music today do you? Well the teenagers do, so that's why she's #1, but it doesn't mean she's the best.

It's the same with movies. What most people like isn't going to be the best...necessarily. Especially given the market most "blockbusters" are aimed at. How many people, outside of fans, really think Harry Potter 7.2 was the best movie of last year?

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2012 07:00 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am fine with nominating quality regardless of gross as long as that quality is clearly superior. But some of the so called "quality" movies that you see nominated are not necessarily that great. I think the list of best pic nominees doesn't have to have all 5 movies liked by everyone. But each of its fan bases should be diverse enough that a viewer will find two or three of the nominees worthwhile. I didn't think Titanic was the best movie that year, but it sure was the best movie for a lot of people and I can live with that. I thought movies like V for vendetta and Apocalypto were fun action movies that are quality enough to replace one of the pretentious nominees in their respective years and when a viewer checks them out because of the oscar exposure, they probably will be glad they did. (exceptions of course). I remember when Annette Benning got nominated for some above average performance in some terrible movie where she plays a stage actress. What a wasted nomination when it could have gone to a more interesting performance from a movie that could have used the oscar exposure and maybe add a tiny extra buzz to the telecast.

This year, Hugo is about the only one I feel like watching after all the buzz. The Artist seems like a fun lil movie, thoughnot a must see. Moneyball seems like an OK ESPN TV movie. And I follow sports a lot.I see a lot of nominees that look more suited as the 5th or 6th filler nominee(to add diverse appeal to the list) and not as a showcase nominee.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: