Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Academy Warning on Digital Preservation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Academy Warning on Digital Preservation
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-21-2012 12:16 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From VARIETY (18 January 2012) at http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118048861?refcatid=1009&printerfriendly=true. You can download the AMPAS report at http://www.oscars.org/science-technology/council/projects/digitaldilemma2/index.html.

Acad sounds alarm about fragility of digital prod'n
Sci-Tech report spotlights short lifespan of non-film formats
By DAVID S. COHEN
On the day that Sundance kicked off and Eastman Kodak filed for bankruptcy, the Motion Picture Academy threw a bucket of ice water on the digital filmmaking revolution.
Preserving movies is an ongoing issue for the entire industry, but a new report from the Acad warns that movies shot or finished digitally face a lifespan so short they can be lost even before they get distribution. Worse, indie and docu filmmakers, whose work is most vulnerable to this risk, seem oblivious to the danger.Those grim conclusions, found in the long-awaited Part Two of the Acad's Science & Technology Council "Digital Dilemma" report on the problems of digital preservation, will likely make for some somber chatter in Park City.

Where part one (released in 2007) focused on the studios, the second installment looks at indies and docs and finds "the technology that makes it easy to make the picture also underlies the lack of guaranteed long-term access to it." And while the Acad found those communities still ignorant of the fragility of digital files, it may not matter -- those sectors lack the resources to attack the problem anyway.

"The bottom line is we're running out of time," Sci-Tech Council member Milt Shefter, co-author of the report, told Variety. "The time for studies is past. We have to find some solutions or we're going to lose a lot of material."

In short, digital storage, be it on hard drives, DVDs or solid-state memory, simply isn't on a par for anything close to the 100-plus-year lifespan of film. The life of digital media is measured in years, not decades, and file formats can go obsolete in months, not years. As the report explains, that affects movies still looking for distribution, not merely library titles. "In general," the report says, "independent films that beat the odds and secure some form of distribution do so after a much longer time period than movies produced by the major studios. This time period quite likely exceeds the 'shelf life' of any digital work; that is, by the time distribution is secured, the digital data may become inaccessible.

"Most of the filmmakers surveyed and interviewed for this report were not aware of the perishable nature of digital content or how short its unmanaged lifespan is compared to the 95-plus years that U.S. copyright laws allow filmmakers to benefit from their work."

Much indie content, the report says, is in danger of being lost before it can receive the full benefits of those 95 years of protection.

Shefter called filmmakers' ignorance of the issue "probably our biggest surprise."

"They were concentrating on the benefits of digital workflow," he said, "but weren't thinking about what happens to their (digital) masters. They're structured to make their movie, get it in front of an audience, and then move onto the next one."

Also a surprise to the Acad's researchers: Documentarians also were unaware of the vulnerability of digital files. On the contrary, documakers were generally excited about the easy access to footage in the digital age. When Acad interviewers raised the idea that there might be "a black hole for the last 25-30 years" because digital files aren't being preserved, said Shefter, "they really didn't get that."

"The main difference between analog and digital is, analog was store-and-ignore," said Shefter. "Digital has to be actively managed."

Such active management is expensive, however, vastly more expensive than putting film in a vault. Even when they take such steps, however, filmmakers and producers are up against an insurmountable problem: The only reliable method for archiving digital images is to go analog. The best archiving solution today is to print out to film, ideally with a three-color separation printed onto black-and-white archival film. That's a very expensive solution.

The Academy is doing what it can to help address the problem, said Andy Maltz, director of the Sci-Tech Council. "One of the keys to preservation is to have file-format standards, so if you can recover the zeros and ones, you'll know what they mean and know what they're supposed to look like on the screen." The Acad's Image Interchange Framework project is helping create such standards. SMPTE will be publishing the first of them later this year.

The Acad is coordinating Hollywood's efforts to work with the Library of Congress and with other industries to find a method for archiving digital data. But, said Maltz, "It's up to the manufacturers to incorporate archival lifetimes into their products." Fortunately for the entertainment industry, it's not alone in facing this issue. Banking, medicine, energy and other fields all need to preserve digital data for more than a few years, and they're all looking for the same elusive breakthrough.

The report says that unless preservation becomes a requirement for planning, budgeting and marketing strategies, it will remain a problem for indie filmmakers, documentarians and archives alike. "These communities, and the nation's artistic and cultural heritage, would greatly benefit from a comprehensive, coordinated digital preservation plan for the future."

The report includes proposals for more education, sharing of information and collaboration among archives and other orgs.

Shefter was careful to say that the Council and the report are not attacking digital, which offers "tremendous benefits" in some areas. Said Shefter, "The broader issue is (that) as we embrace the benefits of the newer technology, one thing is missing: long-term guaranteed access. That's what the analog world had and we think any replacement should have at least as much."

Contact David S. Cohen at david.cohen@variety.com

|  IP: Logged

Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting this! Also, thank you for allowing us to "film" you at the Art House Convergence. This is an important issue and your input on the issue is valuable to us. I will be notifying those that make the final cut.

Thanks again!

Jenn Jennings

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2012 11:24 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
The main difference between analog and digital is, analog was store-and-ignore," said Shefter. "Digital has to be actively managed."
I don't think it's as simple as that. For one thing, storing was an active decision: a lot of early cinema has been lost because its creators regarded it as ephemeral, first and foremost a business asset, and thus not worth storing in the first place after its initial commercial lifetime. Secondly, if you ignored it, it could decompose in storage (film), or become obsolete and impossible to play back (some analogue tape formats).

So we have been here before. The real difference is that the migration cycles are so much shorter, and metadata replaces the information about the digital asset that with analogue films and tapes, was embodied in the physical object. I suspect that Moore's Law will inflate away a significant amount of the preservation problem, because it'll become cheaper and easier to preserve a given file as storage media capacities increase over time.

As an example, I remember when I bought my first CD burner in 1999: I was able to preserve the contents of all 300 or so floppy discs in my possession, some of which dated back to the first time I used a computer in the mid-80s, on the single disc that was thrown in with the drive. The contents of that disc have since been migrated to the hard drive backup system I use to keep my personal data safe now (copy everything to a USB hard drive every Sunday, which is then stored in my office 26 miles away during the week. All the files I created between the mid-80s and 1999 now represent less than 1% of the total contents of my 'My Documents' folder on my home PC.

But the essential point of the report is dead right - preservation and migration has to be done, done actively and managed.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-05-2012 12:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the main problem is that digital files are intangible. You can hold the medium on which the information is written but it is not human readable. Unless you have the machine on which the data was created or a machine that is backward-compatible with the machine that created the data, you have no idea whether or not the data has been corrupted or even if you have any data at all.

Even if you photo-engraved the data onto a permanent, stable medium like a glass disk or a platinum/palladium platter you still can't read the data. Without some sort of indexing and cataloging system, you couldn't tell one file from another.

Way back in 2001, I posted a frame scan on Film-Tech which was from a piece of a movie film I found in an old theater and I asked if anybody could identify the movie. John Pytlak posted the answer in 31 minutes. There is no way that could have happened if the movie was digital. In fact, if I walked around in an old theater in the future, I probably wouldn't be able to tell that there were even any old movies lying around in the first place, let alone identify them.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2012 01:44 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking Randy's post a step further, unless the digital media is marked as too it's format, and is a complete file, it will be hit or miss as to whether or not you will ever find the appropriate software to read it. That is especially true with propriety commercial formats and encrypted release files.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-05-2012 03:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ask if there is anything made today that will be anything other than "an artifact of 2011 or 2012." I am not being a wise a$$, Looking backward at any title we respect (still selling on dvd, etc.) is there anything like this now or is it ALL just disposable? To be sure, the past was like this too, but there were a few keepers. Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-05-2012 03:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, how can anybody know what movies will become culturally significant?

For instance, "Rocky Horror"
When that movie was made it was considered a flop. Worse than a flop. Pretty much everybody at the studio wanted to bury that movie where it could never be found again. But, for some strange reason that nobody knows, "Rocky Horror" found a midnight cult following.

Further, if you simply look at the studio's money making angle, "Rocky Horror" is STILL making money almost 40 years after it was made. Who would have guessed it? Who COULD have guessed it?

If "Rocky Horror" had been stored on a hard drive, there's a good chance it might have never seen the light of day if it still existed at all.

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2012 04:46 PM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is this so much of a problem these days (for mainstream films at least) since there are hundreds of thousands of copies of most things produced now for the home market.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-05-2012 07:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point! With such ubiquity who will care? Louis

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-05-2012 09:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is consumer copies (movies on DVD, Blu-ray disc, etc.) are SHIT compared to the original master source material.

For instance, while 1080p/24 material on Blu-ray can be impressive it is wholly inferior to the HD master material used to encode the Blu-ray source. Blu-ray at best has a 50 million bit per second maximum bandwidth. Uncompressed 1080p/24 HD at a basic level of 8-bits color per channel uses roughly 1.4 billion bits per second in terms of bandwidth. If you want to go farther into "deep color" modes like 10-bit, 12-bit or even 16-bit double buffered color depths then the bandwidth needs increase geometrically.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-05-2012 11:05 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now is a great time to figure this out, Hollywood.

Congrats on that!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-05-2012 11:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Mac OS 7.1 came on a bunch of floppy discs, maybe 6 or 7 of them. Everyone was like "Damn, this OS is HUGE!" That really wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things, so I imagine that digital storage ability will only increase. I would certainly advise against storing compromised digital versions of movies in the mean time. The only reason file formats become outdated is because new compression schemes will be created. But uncompressed is always uncompressed. It doesn't need to be a particular flavor (like MPEG 4). As long as the industry keeps shit around that can read uncompressed files, I really don't see what the big deal is.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-06-2012 12:12 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an independent filmmaker who came close to losing segments of a film I made in 2001, I can confirm the need to archive actively.

In my case, it wasn't an issue of whether there was software that could read the file. As it happened, the master tape (Mini-DV) had dropouts near the start of the tape... and the editorial file was missing several shots, so we couldn't simply output to a new master tape.

Fortunately, the original camera tapes had been properly filed and we were able to recapture the missing shots and reconstruct the whole film.

Yes, there were at least a few other copies of the entire film intact. But these were lesser-quality versions including: a QuickTime file (some compression), a few DVD's (noticeably compressed) and a backup output to Mini-DV (in LP mode). Luckily, the camera tapes were available.

That was a wake-up call, proving the old adage -- "There are two kinds of people: those who have lost data, and those who will."

If money was no object, I'd be in favor of originating on film and doing everything else digitally (including distribution/exhibition) -- preservation would include black-and-white separations on film. Again... if money was no object.

In the real world... periodic backup drives and tapes will have to suffice.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-06-2012 12:50 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
As long as the industry keeps shit around that can read uncompressed files, I really don't see what the big deal is.
That is the problem, right there. How can you read any digital file if you don't have a machine that can read it and interpret it?

If I handed you a file on a floppy disk and told you to read it, you'd probably laugh at me. Now, if I handed you a box of Hollerith cards and told you that some vital piece of information is contained on the media in that box and, if you couldn't read it, your business would go bankrupt you'd be stuck holding your ass.

In 50 years, how do you know that computer data isn't going to be stored on some kind of holographic crystal or something like that? A magnetic hard drive will become the Hollerith cards of the future.

This begs the question that, even with a machine that can read the file, you'll even know what that file or what digital format it is encoded in? Even if you know that, how are you going to interface that old machine and that old data format with current computers?

What if you had to interface an ASR-32 teletype to your computer?
Can you even get your computer to understand 5-bit Baudot code?
(BTW: I know a guy who did this... just because he could.)

It is possible to play a 50 year old movie on 35mm film on a projector that was made today (recently) but there's no way of knowing whether you'll be able to play a movie made today and stored on digital video 50 years from now.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-06-2012 01:06 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Randy!

We can project film prints older than 50 years!

Why...just earlier today... I ran a print of a 1922 film. [Big Grin]

No question about film's track-record when it comes to accessibility. But I still maintain that exhibition on film is inferior to digital, from a practicality standpoint.

I know, I know... Everyone wants to believe they're "doing film right." But even if you are, you're still at the mercy of the print you get.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: