Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 13 Things A Movie Theater Employee Won't Tell You (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 13 Things A Movie Theater Employee Won't Tell You
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2012 11:53 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link below is to an article in Readers Digest online entitled 13 Things A Movie Theater Employee Won't Tell You. The article is in the form of a slideshow, so I could not copy the content to Film-Tech, but it is worth commenting on.

The reason that a movie theater employee won't tell you these 13 things is because all but one is not true or just misleading.

Readers Digest Link

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2012 01:12 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all theater chains perform these practices and some employees are misinformed or disgruntled.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-11-2012 01:31 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the interest of thread preservation, I have cut and pasted the texts here:

quote:
1. Why does it smell so good? The popcorn has chemicals in it to make its aroma fill the theater.
2. “Extreme Digital” is actually lower quality than IMAX digital. We use it because it’s easier to maintain.
3. For the first month or two of screening, money from ticket sales goes to movie studios. Theaters rely on concession stands to make money. That’s why concessions are overpriced. Popcorn costs almost nothing to make.
4. I know all the methods you use to sneak in. I just don’t always care enough to kick you out for it.
5. The only foods I trust are the popcorn, drinks, and boxed candy. I wouldn’t eat the pretzels, hot dogs, or nachos.
6. Chances are, if you complain to the manager and he sides with you, he’s just putting on a show to calm you down. The manager might pretend to yell at me for a minute, but he’ll pat me on the back the moment you’re out of sight.
7. Combination deals don’t save you money at some theaters. You’d pay the same price if you purchased the items separately.
8. Think you’re saving calories by ordering a small popcorn? That “small” popcorn could have been a medium last month.
9. Stop getting angry that your food isn't ready. Microwaves can't cook frozen pizzas in 30 seconds!
10. No, I can’t give you extra cups. Everything is inventoried at the end of the night.
11. Your suspicions are correct. Sometimes I sweep excess food under the seats. Movies often end every few minutes. Sometimes, three or more screenings end at the same time. I don’t always have time to clean everything up.
12 Yes, movies start late. But they almost always end on time – otherwise, the ushers wouldn’t know when to clean up. Theaters tell you to come in early so you have time to watch commercials and previews.
13. Popcorn keeps for a day or two. Many customers confuse warm with fresh.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2012 02:09 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great.
now another group of dingleberries is going to be harassing our staff based on these moronic remarks.
what's with printed media trying to kill theaters ever few months?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-11-2012 02:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That list is not only stupid, it's insulting. But their other "13" lists contain equally stupid things among the occasional good tips.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-11-2012 02:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1: Yes, there are chemicals. They're called "steam" and "butter" and "salt."

3: Yes, movie theaters DO make the majority of their money on popcorn. How else could Arnold Schwarzenegger make $50 million just for saying, "I'll be back!" Most people I tell that to are amazed to hear that theaters don't keep less than half the ticket price.

7: Combination meals? That's easy. Just do the math. OR, did you flunk Third Grade math?

9: Frozen pizza? Didn't you watch them put it into the oven? If it is frozen and you didn't notice that, you're just stupid.

This goes back to:
5: I don't eat the popcorn very much because I'm SICK OF POPCORN. They don't give away the candy and I'm not about to pay those prices for it. I eat the pizza. The theaters where I worked made it fresh. I used to go behind the counter and make it myself. The pizza shop workers used to like it that way because it was less work for them to do. Occasionally, a customer would come up while I was making my pizza and I'd make one for them, too.

Here's a secret about movie theaters the employees won't tell you: Wait until the projectionist goes on his lunch break and goes down to the pizza shop to make his own food. He'll make one for you, too. You WANT me to make you a pizza the same way I'd make one for myself! I could make a mean pizza! [Wink]

11: I've seen theaters where the floors aren't even swept at all! Sweeping the trash under the seats would be an improvement!
"Just let the night cleaners get it," was commonly heard in theaters where I worked.

13: See #11 above. I don't eat much popcorn. But, when I do, it's got to be fresh. See #1 above. If I didn't see or hear it get popped, just now, I don't eat it. Neither would I expect a paying customer to think any different. See #3 above. If popcorn is THAT expensive to buy and THAT cheap to make, you should be popping a new batch every fifteen minutes and throwing it out when it gets cold.
Oh! Wait a second! We used to do that!
Popcorn and soda are the life blood of the movie theater!
Again! See #3 above! You don't kill the goose that lays your golden eggs!
Shit! I've seen kids get fired for burning the popcorn!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-11-2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen #13 in actual practice. To show how cheap (or desparate) the company is .. the upper suits sees cooked popcorn as money to be made and not the actual price of the popcorn itself.

Thus, the employees are told to NOT throw away and start fresh, but to pop a couple of batches in and mix that new batch in with the old .. and I've also seen three-day old popcorn that was bagged earlier in the week being mixed with the new cooked stuff.

Total gross-out if you ask me...and they advertise "fresh cooked popcorn!"

-Monte

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-11-2012 02:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree with one thing. Don't pop corn if the lobby is slow. You don't want to waste your goods.

Pop every fifteen minutes or less when you're busy. Don't pop at all if you'd just waste it.

Besides, it only takes a coupe of minutes to pop up a batch when you need it. Hint: Customers think it's cool if you pop a batch "just for them." [Wink] [Wink]

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the first time I've ever been to the Reader's Digest site, and I imagine for hundreds of millions of other, they've never been there at all. I find it quite interesting that they do not allow comments to be left, to otherwise point out all the fallacies of the "article."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-11-2012 05:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can throw in another one: Theatres are actually in the restaurant business since they are actually 'selling' an item.

Movies - we just lease to show on the screen.

True: why pop for nobody..?

The big issue with popping when the crowds comes in and not when the lobby is empty, is to stimulate the senses:

Hearing, Smelling and the desire to have since it also has activated the saliva glands.

The patrons can even smell the popcorn being popped from outside let alone entering into the lobby. Then, they see and hearing it roaring out of the kettle, thusdriving the taste buds and saliva glands to new heights for the desire to have .. and have more.

But, a side trick to having popcorn is to have the option to make fresh caramel corn as well. Now, we know how caramel corn would smell up the lobby and even to the businesses next door..

Popcorn done right along with the right selling tactics from the concession personnel can be a huge moneymaker for that location.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-11-2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Reader's Digest
 -
What idiot set up this picture? It disturbs me. This is something that only a "promotions manager" could think of. Also, looks like they "removed" the MANN logos from those cups and bag.

quote: Reader's Digest
10. No, I can’t give you extra cups. Everything is inventoried at the end of the night.
Why would this be considered secret information? Don't dare tell the customers we do inventory!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-11-2012 05:58 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the perspective of a poorly trained teenager with little work experience, I can see how some of these things might appear to be true. However, almost every item is either completely false, an oversimplification, or an example of a poorly managed establishment.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-11-2012 06:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can almost guarantee that this article was "researched" by asking someone the author knew who worked at a theater for 3 months who claimed to know all of the secrets of the industry. The comment about IMAX Digital, for example is very ignorant and uninformed.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-11-2012 06:52 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since when has Reader's Digest ever been a required reference for Theatre Management?

Granted, it's aimed at those who have no real knowledge on managing Cinemas, so why not return fire with an article titled " 13 Things Cinema Staff Hate About Idiotic Movie-going Lies"?

Calling Joe Redifer .....

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-11-2012 07:08 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Why does it smell so good? The popcorn has chemicals in it to make its aroma fill the theater.
Yah, like the microwave popcorn they eat at home without batting an eye doesn't have chemicals? What's the mystery? ALL processed food has "chemicals;" salt is a chemical. And it's cooked on a hot plate so it naturally gives off a good aroma. Soooo, what's your point?

2. “Extreme Digital” is actually lower quality than IMAX digital. We use it because it’s easier to maintain.
??? Idiot.

3. For the first month or two of screening, money from ticket sales goes to movie studios. Theaters rely on concession stands to make money.
Again...so what? It's called economics. And a car dealer makes a couple of hundred dollars on a car sale, if that, but then makes five times that on the accessories like rugs and tire guards and extended insurance.

That’s why concessions are overpriced. They are not over-priced -- they are priced based on the working economics of the business the owner is running. Popcorn costs almost nothing to make. It costs what it costs; it's not "nothing" and whatever it costs is irrelant to what it's sold for.

4. I know all the methods you use to sneak in. I just don’t always care enough to kick you out for it. You lazy, zero work ethic parasite. Go ahead....brag about it. Can't wait to see how long it takes you to look to get on welfare and live in a trailer park, although that's probably not fair to good people who live in trailer parks.

5. The only foods I trust are the popcorn, drinks, and boxed candy. I wouldn’t eat the pretzels, hot dogs, or nachos.
No doubt because you and slacker workers like you have your hand involved with their preparation. And I bet you don't wash your hands after using the rest room either, do you...after playing with your undersized, pinky-like excuse for a dick, you dick.

6. Chances are, if you complain to the manager and he sides with you, he’s just putting on a show to calm you down. The manager might pretend to yell at me for a minute, but he’ll pat me on the back the moment you’re out of sight. Ah, so now we know where you got your slacker, lazy-ass work ethic from. You both need to have your sorry asses fired.

7. Combination deals don’t save you money at some theaters. You’d pay the same price if you purchased the items separately. Hmmm, you summoned the totality of your math skills to figure that out, did yah? And you assume no one else can?

8. Think you’re saving calories by ordering a small popcorn? That “small” popcorn could have been a medium last month. Does this happen every month? How many months do you think they can get away with this?

9. Stop getting angry that your food isn't ready. Microwaves can't cook frozen pizzas in 30 seconds! Not even sure what this is an attempted slam at -- that they use microwaves and not pizza stone ovens (who would have believed it?!), that patrons are impatient? That he doesn't know how to set the timer on the microwave?

10. No, I can’t give you extra cups. Everything is inventoried at the end of the night. What a revelation! Who would have thunk it? However, given this tool's incredible attention to detail and attention-span abilities, it is doubtful that they EVER get an accurate count of ANYTHING at the end of the night. He might as well give out the extra cups.

11. Your suspicions are correct. Sometimes I sweep excess food under the seats. Movies often end every few minutes. Sometimes, three or more screenings end at the same time. I don’t always have time to clean everything up. If our suspicions are correct, then this is not a "secret;" we can SEE you sweaping junk under the last row, you dipshit.

12 Yes, movies start late. But they almost always end on time – otherwise, the ushers wouldn’t know when to clean up. Theaters tell you to come in early so you have time to watch commercials and previews. No, it has nothing to do with watching the commercials, it's all about crowd control.

13. Popcorn keeps for a day or two. Many customers confuse warm with fresh. Most patrons aren't as stupid as you, bub...they either see the popcorn being cooked and usually this isn't even an issue after the first show of the day, or it tastes just fine to them, day-old or two days old. Considering what most people eat off supermarket shelves that has been sitting there for weeks, popcorn from last night isn't that big a deal. For those who it is, they just wait to see it popped or they go without. Nothing says anyone has to strap a feed bag to their heads in order to enjoy a movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: