Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What's the deal with Fox and these Scrat "shorts?"

Author Topic: What's the deal with Fox and these Scrat "shorts?"
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2011 08:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or are others annoyed that Fox is taking bits out of the upcoming Ice Age movie, disguising them as "shorts" and attaching them to their family flicks?

I was thinking the "Continental Crack-Up" thing was an independent short until it was attached to at least 2 different movies. Now with "Alvin 3" we have "Continental Crack-Up Part 2" which has some of the other Ice Age characters and is clearly just a lift from the upcoming film. A scene from the "short" is even featured on the teaser one-sheet.

They're not shorts, they're trailers. They ought to be labeled as such and separate from the feature. If Fox wants to make shorts like Disney and WB do, they should make real shorts and not these disguised trailers.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-18-2011 09:16 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they have done this with the previous movies as well. And the Scrat bits have always been more or less independent of the movie's plot.

Given how the average trailer gives away the entire story of a movie, I'm not really concerned about these "shorts".

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-19-2011 04:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ruin a movie that filmmakers worked a year or two of their lives on....you think that bothers these people? They would sell their grandmother into the sex slave trade if they thought they could get a good advance and a bump in percentage on her.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-19-2011 11:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should make some Scrat shorts that are not included in the subsequent movie. The way they're doing it, anyone who's seen the "trailers" will feel a slight bit ripped off since the bits are lifted wholesale from the movie.

You can argue that ALL trailers are lifted from the finished movie, but not three or four minutes of continuous footage.

The other problem is, they are seriously running out of humorous Scrat ideas. This newest one is the least enjoyable of them all, I think.

Chuck Jones, Treg Brown and Michael Maltese had more imagination in their little fingers than these guys do.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-19-2011 02:10 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The other problem is, they are seriously running out of humorous Scrat ideas. This newest one is the least enjoyable of them all, I think
No disagreement there. The whole continental crack-up thing amounts to about 6 minutes of Scrat screaming and trying to get the damn acorn. In my opinion, it actually hurts the movie's potential because I have no interest in seeing it again.

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2011 11:05 AM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's one thing to put it on a short movie like "Chipwrecked." But what were they thinking including it on a 2 hour movie like "We Bought a Zoo?"

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-14-2012 05:51 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that Fox is now going to attach the Scrat short to everything they release between now and July 13. It was on Star Wars last week and they have it on This Means War this week.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-14-2012 07:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's just ridiculous. They're treating it like a real short, but it's a freaking TRAILER which means it shouldn't be attached to the movie file.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2012 10:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Will Fox re-encode the DCPs for future repertory bookings??? After all, it can't be removed from the feature.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah, I'll believe that when I see it. Paramount send out the Grease sing-a-long DCP with a "GREASE SING-A-LONG NOT PLAYING IN YOUR TOWN?" ad at the head *AND* tail of the feature.

(anybody care to explain to me the point of advertising a particular feature by attaching the trailer to the feature in question?)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-14-2012 11:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... major overkill ...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2012 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it PART of the feature DCP file, or was it simply included on the drive as a separate trailer?

Your post makes me think it was actually attached, but that is just such a stupid idea I refuse to believe Paramount actually did that, hence my request for a clarification.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2012 06:57 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you're more than right to want to clarify that... but what I said is what I meant to say: the ad for the film is the first sixteen seconds of the FEATURE DCP.

It is then REPEATED at the END of the same feature DCP, after the credits and Paramount logo.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2012 02:37 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Chuck Jones, Treg Brown and Michael Maltese had more imagination in their little fingers than these guys do.
AMEN.

I love me some squirrel based humor. How about some Rocky and Bullwinkle shorts while we're at it?

There is also a simple solution to this problem. Edit the CPL so the entry point on the first reel is beyond the short and then repack the PKL [Wink]
(Probably not a good idea in practice)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 11:14 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had a clue how to do that, I would.

I also don't like (on the Star Wars movie) how there is only about a half-second between the end of Scrat and the 20th logo.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: