Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Memorable film(s) released on Nov. 22nd

Author Topic: Memorable film(s) released on Nov. 22nd
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2011 10:05 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Released on this day in 1995...

-

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2011 11:01 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Changing feature animation forever.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2011 11:23 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To infinity...AND BEYOND!

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2011 11:38 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
Changing feature animation forever.
I totally agree. I remember when I say the previews for this and I was just blown away. When this movie came out, it inadvertently set the bar on animation. It definitely changed the playing field for animation departments on whether or not hand drawn animation was still the best.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-22-2011 06:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing the trailes for Toy Story and thinking, it's not going to be that special. Figured they had put all the $ into the animation and not enough into the story. I pegged that one wrong for sure!

The last reel of TS is one of my top 10 segments in all the movies I've ever seen. Just amazing.

We played this several weeks after the break, packed the house, and then played it again a few months later and did quite well again.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2011 06:37 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Toy Story and Toy Story 2 hit the 90 - 10 for us. It is a great problem to have! It held well enough on the second and third weeks as well. Now I don't own theaters any more so not sure about 3 but I know it didn't do the $$$ here its predecessors did at my old theaters!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-23-2011 01:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first heard about this movie I also remember thinking, "That's the title?" It seemed pretty generic-sounding. But, in retrospect, it was a perfect title.

I'm just surprised that Disney hasn't gone further with that concept and come out with "Furniture Story" or "Jewelry Story." [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-23-2011 03:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew McBride
It definitely changed the playing field for animation departments on whether or not hand drawn animation was still the best.
Computer animation isn't better than hand drawn animation. It's different. They're two completely different mediums. The only thing in common between the two methods is the design theory (the conceptual stuff).

Hand drawn animation may lack the photo-realism and precision of computer-based animation. OTOH, hand drawn animation is far closer to what I consider "art" than the footage created by a rendering farm.

An animator's drawing skills have to be extremely well developed to produce hand drawn animation that is up to the best of Disney's standards or standards of other animation studios that produced great work. 3D modeling and animation software has a pretty serious learning curve and it takes a ridiculous amount of time to produce high quality stuff. However, on the whole, it's a lot harder to do great quality animation by hand. I'm far more impressed by great hand drawn animation than I am impressed by great computer animation.

Pixar, unlike just about all other animation studios, has a deep appreciation of traditional hand drawn animation. The studio has its computer animators following similar principals as hand drawn animation and avoids using cheats like motion capture.

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2011 04:34 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most complicated and time consuming standee I've ever built. A giant lighted rotating scene Viewmaster.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: