Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Worst Digital Projection EVER! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Worst Digital Projection EVER!
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 12:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just when I was getting to think that it was a given that if I went into a theatre that had digital projection, I would be pretty much guaranteed a top draw presentation.
I have seen dozens of digital presentations over the past few years and thought, if this is our future sans film, the majority of people in smaller markets all over the country who have had to suffer terrible film presentation as we all have documented on these pages, digital will be a significant improvement.

Then today I saw J. EDGAR HOOVER at The Grand Theatre at Brannon Crossing in Nicholasville KY. If anyone knows what chain, if any, owns this cinema, please inform because nowhere on the ticket or anywhere in the physical plant is there any indication that it is a chain operation.

If the snipe that was run before the feature didn't say it was "A Digital Presentation," I would have sworn I was watching really bad film. First off the image was soft from start to finish -- was it a bad 2K transfer, NO. The MPAA green tag on the trailer, which always is so razor sharp it hurts, was soft and that near-out-of-focus condition continued throughout the film.

But it gets worse; the brightness was so dark, it looked like a xenon bulb about to give up the ghost -- something you expect in badly run film operations.

And on top of that, this super dark picture was projected onto a high gain silver screen which had an unusually center bright spot with fall-off so severe that any objects that were placed on either end of the scope screen were literally in the dark. Even the set lights looked like they weren't on; faces practically disappeared in dull darkness.

I'll give it this -- the sound was impressive -- Dolby Surround EX -- barely used to any significent extent, but it was clear and robust with good separation. That said, it certainly didn't make up for the awful picture.

Yes I complained -- but the Customer Service youngster seemed not concerned about the technical failing but focused on me being unhappy -- he gave me two comps. I didn't voice my complaint because I decided to see the whole film regardless of the bad picture, and was not there to get comps but to alert them to the problem. He seemed only I eager to "make me happy." I have little hope this screen will be properly lit any time soon.

Thing is, remember how we have been saying that putting digital into booths that ran underlit and generally crappy substandard film presentation would find a way to do the very same thing even with spanking new digital systems? Well... It Has Begun.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-15-2011 12:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shitty theaters will always be shitty theaters.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 01:40 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to that cinema, but I saw a 35mm presentation that wasn't too bad.

It's too bad that your experience was ruined, and I fear this sort of thing will continue. Joe hit the nail on the head.

AJG

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 07:57 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always the case with anything new that people make a big fuss over it in the beginning but, after it becomes a mundane, everyday occurrence, people will stop caring.

Think about cell phones. When they were first available, they were expensive and people treated them with a certain reverence. Only the richest and (presumably) the smartest people could have them. Then, when they became cheap and plentiful, people stopped caring. We carry them in our pockets. We toss them across the car seat. People drop them, break them and do all sorts of nasty things to them.

Also, if you notice, the quality also goes down. They get cheaper to make. They are cheaper to buy. They are just another run-of-the-mill tchotchke. Nobody cares anymore.

The same thing will happen to digital movies.

Right now, digital projectors are the "new, hot toy" in movie theaters. They are expensive. They are treated like venerated objects. Only certain people, technicians and managers are allowed to touch them but, when they become mundane, nobody will give a rat's ass.

They'll sit in the booth. Nobody will touch them. They'll get dusty and dirty. They will break down. It will take a week to get a technician to come and repair them... if the technician is called at all. The theater probably won't call until the projector goes down.

It's not going to happen overnight. It will be a gradual decline. It will probably take five or ten years. Maybe more. But, in the end, I guarantee that digital movies will end up being just as shitty as people think movies on film are.

We all know that, regardless of the technology, a good movie presentation depends on people who care about their work.

In the commercial movie theater of today, nobody really gives a shit. It's only a matter of time before digital movies turn to shit, too.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 08:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The industry has purged itself of (almost) everyone who gives a shit. Louis

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 09:04 AM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Garland Firewheel 18 sucks too. Dim picture, still running preshow off a smaller projector (which didnt work), sound was very unimpressive (low stages, almost non-existent surrounds) and the masking shrunk both horizontally and vertically, picture didnt utilize full height or width of the screen. And I had to pay for my ticket, not used to doing that

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 11:26 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Firewheel is the dominating theater in that area which took business away from the UA/Regal Galaxy.
AMC is the dominating presence in DFW, with the Northpark 15 being one of the highest grossers.
Maybe the philosophy of "why should we do better as the customers will show up anyway" has crept in.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-15-2011 01:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad thing is customer service and a good "out of home" movie viewing experience is the only thing that differentiates what people can see in the home versus the theater.

I know about all the subtle differences between a Motion JPEG2000 based DCP and a dual layer Blu-ray disc with MPEG-4 AVC video. Nevertheless, both look very similar. There's not much visual difference between a 2K d-cinema image versus that of a 1080p Blu-ray image. The point is commercial movie theaters have very little clear technical advantage over home theater anymore.

quote: Randy Stankey
It's not going to happen overnight. It will be a gradual decline. It will probably take five or ten years. Maybe more. But, in the end, I guarantee that digital movies will end up being just as shitty as people think movies on film are.
That decline could eventually happen, provided if there is a commercial movie theater industry or movie industry at all in existence in another decade.

In the vain of trying to "find new revenue streams" and other short term vision nonsense the global media companies who own the movie industry are trying very hard to ruin both the commercial theater industry and home video industry at once. These bean counters think they'll do better if they have everyone streaming movies to their portable devices YouTube style. The idea is getting that movie revenue as fast as possible by delivering it to the viewer as fast as possible. They don't realize not everyone wants to watch movies that way. Not everyone wants to watch some badly compressed "HD" version of a movie stream into their game console or Apple® iPhone™. They're attacking the slower, yet vastly superior, delivery methods by over-reaching at "new media" via the Internet.

Here's a funny thing: that whole convenience thing cuts both ways. Yeah, I can download and watch the movie any time. That also means I can choose to put off watching the movie until any time later. And then I forget about watching the damned movie at all!

I've lost track of how many shows I've recorded onto my satellite receiver's DVR only to delete them later, un-watched.

When I have to make a conscious effort to watch the clock and then drive to a movie theater to see a certain show on that theater's schedule, that movie is actually going to get 100% of my undivided attention.

If I rent something on Blu-ray, I might have my notebook computer open on the coffee table while the movie is playing. If my girlfriend is watching the movie with me the notebook will be shut, but then we might start getting frisky with each other and get distracted from the movie that way. If the movie is playing on HBO, I'll likely be multi-tasking watching the movie while farting around on the computer. Basically, the more and more convenient the movie watching becomes the less of a shit I end up caring about it.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 02:42 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
The industry has purged itself of (almost) everyone who gives a shit. Louis
Bravo. [thumbsup]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 03:03 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

I swear like a sailor but you, never.

I thought retirement was supposed to mellow one out.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 03:46 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah! Now the crusty factor is coming out! Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 05:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...with Andy Rooney dead, the world needs a new curmudgeon! [Big Grin]

David M. Leugers
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 11:51 PM      Profile for David M. Leugers   Email David M. Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Bobby. Once the magic of the cinema is broken, if one single generation drops out of the theater-going habit, then all is lost. This is what the studios/distributors have feared since TV first showed on the horizon. Unwittingly, they now have done it. Last week I wanted to go see a film. My wife and movie-going partner for over 30 years didn't want to go saying she preferred watching films on Blu-Ray... it was a hard realization that I felt the same way if I had to watch it on video projection...

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 11:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're on to something Bobby. I fear the day going to the cinema dies...I hope it never does.

I kinda want to make it my life's work to keep that magic alive...I just don't know how.

AJG

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-16-2011 12:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank must have went into a house that had that hated unit throughout the industry, putting the picture on the screen ...

Cinemas are turning into a 'kid operated emporium' - operated by kids, ran by kids, since the product on the screen is kid orientated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: