Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How do people wear those Star Trek earpieces all day long? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do people wear those Star Trek earpieces all day long?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2011 10:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Joe will have the answers here, but in case he doesn't surely somebody here will.

I'm talking about the bluetooth things people stick in their ears and wear them ALL DAY, while they sleep, while they are showering, etc.

First off, that would drive me nuts having that thing in my ear. Second, doesn't it impede normal hearing a little bit?

I also hate when I am talking to someone and they are on the phone without anyone knowing and their responses make absolutely no sense. (Then of course they point to their ear, as if we were supposed to know.) The microphones on those suck too. I often hear more of the room acoustics than I do the person talking.

Why are so many people in love with these things???

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 12:01 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Second, doesn't it impede normal hearing a little bit?
Sure. They'd have a little bit less ability to hear on that side due to the unit being in the way. Not to any level that's different than just wearing bud-type headphones (with it doing it to one side instead of both). A more permanent hearing problem would only be from turning the thing up too high which could easily happen wearing it outdoors and needing to cover up noise from cars and such.

And it could cause hearing to be slightly worse since it'll make it more difficult for excess wax to be let out.

I also hate when I am talking to someone and they are on the phone without anyone knowing and their responses make absolutely no sense.
It was worse when a guy I worked with would actually talk to you while on the phone.

Sample conversation-

Him: Chris, what are you doing?
Me: going to thread theater 5.
Him: Ok. [Pause 2 seconds] Where are you at?
Me: Here?
Him: You ok?
Me: Yes?
Him: Did you take the bus?
Me: What the hell?
[Then everyone else in the room laughed at me, since they'd all done the same at some point]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 01:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...'bout as bad as texting - addicted to technology, like hooked on bad drugs..

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 01:54 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know why those dumb things have to have a flashing light on them. They are obnoxious.

It used to be that cellphones themselves would make the user feel really important, since not everyone had them. Now that everyone has a cell, the task of importance-inflation has fallen to the Bluetooth. Have you noticed that everyone using one of those things stands there talking loudly into the air as if to show everyone that "I've got a call on my bluetooth, and I'm SOMEBODY, damn it!"

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 02:25 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, the light is there to make it easier to find those people and stomp them when they try to use that gadget in the auditorium while the show is on.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-16-2011 02:28 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Joe will have the answers
I always do and here they are:

-The people who wear them are self-important douchebags. They want you to think that they are as important as they think they are.

-If you want to screw with a self-important douchebag, do the following: Start talking to douchebag. Douchebag responds. You respond with nonsense. Douchebag gets confused. Then you say something like "Hold on, some guy is talking to me" and then look straight at the douchebag and say "Can't you see I'm on the phone?" Then he'll say that he doesn't see your earpiece. That's when you notice his and ask him how he can still carry that gigantic thing around on his ear, it looks so silly. Get with the times! Then walk away talking to your imaginary phone person.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-16-2011 02:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, I just might try that one.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2011 03:35 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with most idiotic things people do, George Carlin has covered this.

AJG

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 05:37 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These users are clearly connected to an alternate (higher) intelligence. If COM failure occurs, they will just freeze in place. Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 07:38 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who do that are behind the times.

In the days when cellular phones and e-mail were just hitting the market and were more expensive than they are now, only the most important people could afford to have these things.

At that time, the coolest people were the ones you could get in touch with at any time, no matter where they were.

Nowadays, cell phones are ubiquitous. Everybody has one and they are cheap. You can get in touch with nearly anybody no matter where they are at almost any time, day or night.

Now, the coolest people are the ones you CAN'T get in touch with unless THEY want to talk to you.

Just try to call Bill Gates or Warren Buffett on their cell phones. Even if, by some miracle, you could even get their phone number, you would only get their voice mail and they would never return the call.

It's just the same with people who carry brief cases. Only peons carry brief cases. The truly important people are the ones who can pay other people to carry brief cases. If they carry anything at all, they would only have a pocket sized Day-Planner.

The most important people would simply tell you, "Call my secretary," then hand you a card with his office telephone number on it.

People who wear Bluetooth ear pieces all day long are really just self-delusional peons.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 10:06 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Now, the coolest people are the ones you CAN'T get in touch with unless THEY want to talk to you.

Wow, since I don't have a cell phone or answering machine, that makes me super cool (at least as long as Randy determines who is cool [Wink] )

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 11:34 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are super cool but you don't need me to tell you that. [Big Grin]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 01:52 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgetting about the egocentric issues for a monent, just as a practical matter, I have tried two of those gadgets and couldn't stand them because 1) they didn't stay in my ear and 2) THE PAIN.

I wanted one exclusively for use for when I am in the car -- you know, hands-free safety they are always yapping about. The first one I bought wouldn't stay in my ear, and the damn hook thing that went behind my ear made it stick out sideways away from my face instead of up against my cheek the way I see others wearing them. Maybe I have some kind of freakish ear canal or something, but I wound up mostly having to hold the thing against my head when I was actually taking a call. So I bought a second one, different manufacturer, thinking it was just a design issue. No better luck. I still had to press it againt my ear to insure decent audio and to keep it in there. So if I had to hold it against my head, then that's not Hands effin Free, is it?!

The worst thing was, if I kept that thing in my ear for more than 10, 15 minutes, the pain in my ear would be more than enough to make me rip it out, stomp on it and use the cell instead. Anyone putting up with discomfort those things cause can only do it if they are taking copious amounts of drugs. Conclusion -- everyone who uses one of them is an egotistical idiot on crack.

Besides, I refuse to be tethered to some piece of equipment and especially so that anyone and his brother can reach me anytime they want. I look for ways to GET AWAY from people, not for ways to be FOUND!

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2011 02:08 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I can't deal with wearing one for more than an hour or so. The only reason I even have one is because the culture at my place of employment *LOVES* to have telephone conference call meetings all day long. Ordinarily I sit at my desk with a headset and listen in. But I also live 100 miles away from where I work and am allowed to work from home 2 days a week. The only way I would be able to leave early to miss the evening commute on Wednesdays and still attend the 3pm staff meeting would be to phone in from the car. In California it's against the law to handle a mobile telephone while driving, only to dial a number or hang up. ($300 ticket and a point on your record). Also I use the device when I am working from home and on a meeting since I don't have a landline anymore. I do not wear it anywhere else in public.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 02:38 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, don't you find it REEEEEALY uncomfortable? Maybe I am just a wuss, but I can't stand it -- I mean it's really painful.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: