Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Are GPS updates worth the money? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are GPS updates worth the money?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-01-2011 03:06 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had one of these things for several years and long ago decided that as long as I stay with the lower priced models it is the same price to toss the most recent one in the drawer and buy a new one every 3 or 4 years, that way you get the new maps and the latest technology for about the same price as an update.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless there is a lot of new road construction in areas you are likely to use it, not much changes from year to year.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-01-2011 07:33 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Garmin came with one free update. It took hours to install. HOURS.

Yeah...no.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-03-2011 03:52 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
...it is the same price to toss the most recent one in the drawer and buy a new one every 3 or 4 years, that way you get the new maps and the latest technology for about the same price as an update.
It's crazy, isn't it? I too investigated buying map updates for my 2008 vintage satnav late last year (there have been a lot of roadworks, changes to speed limits, new speed humps put down all over the place around here), and discovered that (i) map updates weren't available - you had to buy a whole software upgrade from iGo 6 to 8; and (ii) the cost of doing this was more than that of buying a new satnav. The cheapest I could find the software with the latest maps in was £89, and Ebuyer.com do new machines with a year's worth of updates starting from £50. My existing hardware is perfectly adequate for what it has to do, but it looks like I'll have to throw it away long before it actually fails.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2011 04:42 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general I agree, but I do have to travel to Boston on business, and during the "Big Dig" where numerous roads were relocated and/or put in tunnels I frequently had major problems finding where I was going (it's a confusing city to drive in to begin with)not to mention pictures of driving across railroad tracks and bodies of water on the video screen! I finally gave in and ordered a new $200 dvd for the car I was using for business at the time, and for peace of mind it was worth it. Generally, however, I wouldn't.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-03-2011 05:45 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The arguement for the updates is that your favorites are still there. You don't have to reload them manually.

Trying to refind that little Swiss restaurant in Vegas after 4 years can be impossible. louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-03-2011 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 4 years? It's probably been bulldozed.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-03-2011 08:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if smart phones are having any negative effect on the in car GPS device business. Technically people aren't supposed to use smart phone applications like Google Maps and Google Earth as substitutes for in-car GPS devices. Google Maps even gives a warning about using the application while driving. Yet I'm sure at least some people use the application anyway. I've used my Android phone for that purpose while someone else drove.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-03-2011 08:50 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then why would google make an Android Navigation app that uses maps data?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-03-2011 09:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously they're doing it out of user convenience hoping the end user will use the application responsibly.

I have fired up Google Maps to find certain locations here in Lawton. Certain streets are oddly disconnected and the gaps can be tricky to manage. Not a month after buying my Android phone I had to pull into a hotel parking lot and use my phone to find a nearby address.

Smart phones can exceed the capability of dedicated in-car GPS devices. Google Maps and Google Earth are updated regularly for free. Other applications like Yelp! extend the capability of Google Maps. Does the average Garmin like device show nearby restaurants, theaters and other businesses as well as provide reviews of those businesses? The "monocle" feature in Yelp is really cool, but I think the application's designers intended the user to be on foot or sitting somewhere when using it.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2011 09:31 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, the GPS devices tell you not to use them while you're driving, too. As long as you're not fiddling with your phone while you're moving you're just as safe as with a dedicated GPS.

I still have the 2008 maps in my Kenwood in-dash, and I'll probably wait one more year before upgrading; in my case it'd be worth it because it doubles as a DVD player, backup camera display, etc., and a lot of businesses can close/open in 4 years. I'm not too concerned about the maps data itself changing.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2011 01:54 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Verizon makes a car holder for the Droid X that lets you mount the phone on the windshield and use it as a GPS. They work very well and have much more accurate date compared to my old GPs as well as also being a hand free phone when docked. Iv even set my Droid X on the dash and used the display reelection as a hud at night.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2011 09:46 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GPS makers have been hit really hard by smartphones, and their industry peaked several years ago.

I've used both Garmin and Magellan standalone units, and prefer Garmin by a wide margin. I have the Navigon iPhone app and it's pretty good, but once Garmin does some more tweaking on their app, I'll probably purchase that one instead. I'll use the iPhone long before the Magellan, though.

The expensive map updates are hard to swallow. My Garmin 260W is quite a few years old, and I just bought a map update for it because it finally came down to a more-or-less reasonable price of $40. That's more than I paid for the entire Navigon app!

This will be the only and the last map update I'll do on the Garmin.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-05-2011 01:34 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't understand why Navigon has a version of US + Canada only for the iphone. On Android, they only give you the option of US.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-06-2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Technically people aren't supposed to use smart phone applications like Google Maps and Google Earth as substitutes for in-car GPS devices. Google Maps even gives a warning about using the application while driving.
It wouldn't be rocket science to design cellphone GPS software that functioned perfectly safely for in-car use while the phone is mounted on a dashboard cradle. You would simply need to add the capability for spoken and/or clear visual directions (i.e. as you approach a decision point, it tells you what to do), and to disable the cellphone from ringing in response to an incoming call and go straight to voicemail. In that scenario I can't see how it would be any more dangerous than using a dedicated satnav unit.

The real issue, I guess, would be bandwidth cost if you're on a capped contract; given that cellphone GPS systems download each map segment in real time as you leave one area and enter another, rather than saving map data offline on flash memory. But there again, there's no reason why software couldn't be tweaked to do this, or at least to save every segment it loads so that it doesn't need to download it on multiple occasions for frequently driven routes.

The GPS software in my phone won't do any of these things (apart from turning the ringer off), hence the reason I still use a dedicated satnav; but I wouldn't be surprised if phones exist that have some or all of these features.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: