Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » strange computer problem

Author Topic: strange computer problem
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 09:36 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend, my laptop at home wouldn't connect to the internet. I would get a message that said it could not connect to the server. I use Opera and I tried with IE and Firefox and got the same message. My laptop is hardwired to the router. My BluRay is hardwired to the router and it connected just fine. There are 2 other laptops in the house which connect wirelessly and they worked. My laptop showed I was connected at 100 Mbps.

This morning I opened Opera so I could write down the error message and everything is working again.

Any computer guys out there know what could have caused this? I use this for work, e-mail and film-tech. I cycled the power a few times and did a system restore to about 3 weeks ago. Nothing worked.

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-14-2011 10:43 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of Internet service do you have (cable, DSL, etc.)? I've had similar things happen. Sometimes it turned out to be something going on with AT&T's DSL service or the company providing our cable based Internet service at work. Other times it has been a networking glitch in the computer that somehow fixed itself after a couple reboots. I don't get it.
[Confused]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-14-2011 10:50 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last couple of months, I have had sporadic trouble connecting to the internet. In each case, it turned out to be a problem between my modem and the central office. (This is strange because I am only 1,500 feet, by wire, from the central office. As the crow flies, it is less than 1,000 feet.)

Anyway, try to connect to the modem's web page. 192.168.1.1 is the usual address. If you can reach that page, the problem is likely between the modem and the C.O. If you can not, the problem is likely between your computer and the modem. Either the computer, the modem or the connection between is fouled up.

If you can reach the page, you can usually get some kind of status update on your network connection, as well. If your connection is down or running slowly, the modem's status page will give you a clue. Sometimes, depending on the brand of modem and/or its security settings, you might not be able to connect to 192.168.1.1 via wireless. You might have to connect via the ethernet cable.

The first time I had trouble with my network connection, I spent a whole bunch of time trying to troubleshoot my computer only to find that the problem was at the CO. Now, that's the first thing I check.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 01:44 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got cable which has a strong signal, it is split about a foot before my DVR and modem. From the modem it is connected via ethernet which is located next to it to the Cisco router. Then from the router to my stationary laptop which is about 3 feet away connected via ethernet. My laptop was the only thing not working (not able to connect) this weekend. Nothing was touched moved, or installed. After watching a movie I switched my tv from cable to pc via remote, my tv is my monitor and I just switch inputs, I couldn't get online. It wouldn't connect wireless either, I disconnected the LAN and tried wireless, but same error. Showed I was connected, but I couldn't get online.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 07:44 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try reseting the router and modem? I've seen a number of problems like this be the router getting confused.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2011 10:35 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, I didn't cycle the power on the router, I figured it and the modem were o.k. because everything else wireless in the house was working. Yesterday morning I was using a different laptop wireless in a different room. It worked just fine. Last night, it had the same problem as mine. It showed it was connected at 24 Mbps, but could not connect to any browser. This morning it's working again!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-15-2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like bit rot.

Happens every once in a while with my wireless modem. Power cycling cures it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: