Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Big Disney flop: Mars Needs Moms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Big Disney flop: Mars Needs Moms
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of those movies where when I saw the trailer, I said to myself "This just doesn't look very good." Then another trailer came out and I watched that, and my opinion was the same. Turns out I was right -- the movie did $7 million for the whole opening weekend. It supposedly cost $150M to produce.

Pretty big misstep for all involved -- not only the Disney promo machine, but also the usually-reliable Robert Zemeckis.

I guess Mars really doesn't need moms.

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not see the trailer but saw the standee for MARS NEEDS MOMS in a theatre lobby and thought to myself "This movie will be a big flop with a title like that" It looks like my hunch was right.

WhAt is ironic about this movie is the people at DIsney felt it would do well, they also released it in IMAX.

-Claude

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 04:07 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, this movie is better then the trailers make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its great. It is watchable for a single viewing.

This is the worst opening of a movie we've had in IMAX since we took over in Dec of '09. When I looked down at the start of my first show Saturday morning and saw a handful of people I knew that it was going to bomb.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 04:28 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
granted the screening I saw was a 2.20pm Monday afternoon screening (today) - and I was the only one there, I thought even for a film just under 90 minutes, there was barely a plot and one point, I'm not sure where, but midway, I promptly fell asleep, in other words it was dull enough to lull me into sleep. The animation and 3D works, but the story is the main flaw of the film. Even the end credits where the illusion is broken and you see key scenes being played out by it's actor's minus the animation seems like a valient attempt to grab viewers attention just before leaving the theater - it's interesting but seems too desperate on the filmmakers part.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 07:38 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like typical 3D crap. No story line, just goofy 3D effects. People are getting tired of this, just like the other times in history that 3D has ended up putting people to sleep.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 08:30 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We share product with a competitor across the street and our booker (a former Disney employee)gave up Mars so we could have I am # 4. Smart

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2011 08:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and throwing adult "potty" humor in a kiddie movie isn't the brightest thing to do...

It looks like Disney is stuck with Pixar to keep them in the black now...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2011 10:59 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
Sounds like typical 3D crap. No story line, just goofy 3D effects. People are getting tired of this, just like the other times in history that 3D has ended up putting people to sleep.

2-D tanked too....

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2011 11:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer

It looks like Disney is stuck with Pixar to keep them in the black now..

Have you forgotten about "Tangled" already?

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2011 11:56 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie flops...Good for them...they deserve it.

Mike

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-15-2011 07:45 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like a bad book adaptation movie to me. Was there a kids book involved? If so, was it any good?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-15-2011 09:28 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if it is adapted from something else, but the title is an obvious play on the old cheesy TV movie "classic" Mars Need Women.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060672/

The posters are evocative of each other.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2011 09:43 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's based on the popular children's book of the same name by cartoonist Berkeley Breathed ("Bloom County").

The problem is the book takes maybe 10 minutes to read, if you're in kindergarten and you read 30 words per minute, and the same thing almost always happens when such a book is padded to make a 90 minute movie...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-15-2011 12:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Croaro
Movie flops...Good for them...they deserve it.
Why would you say that?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-15-2011 12:30 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't believe this thread has this many posts let alone a thread about this movie.

AMC in my area has Mars Needs Moms on 4 screens: 2D Digital, in Disney Digital 3D on 2 screens, and one IMAX 3D theatre.

What a flop!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: