Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Gas prices in your area - Update (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gas prices in your area - Update
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-05-2011 01:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of Friday, crude oil is now selling for $104.63 a barrel and still rising and a gallon of regular gas here in Honolulu is $3.79 at most stations. On the other islands in Hawaii such as Maui, it could be at about $4.00 now because gas cost more there. I know gas is much cheaper in most states on the mainland but it wont be long when everyone will be paying $4.00 for a gallon of gas. The question now is how long it will be before it reaches $5.00 [Frown]

I still have fond memories when a gallon of gas could be bought for twenty cents or less when service stations competed against each other in the early sixties when I was a photography student in Santa Barbara. [Smile]

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-05-2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The realities are...there is but so much money a worker has and the demand will drop (in fact, I already see a reduced amount of traffic...just like the last time gas prices spiked). If one can not reduce their driving (have to go to work) then other things in the economy will suffer (like cinemas) since after paying for gas, folks have less money for discretionary activities.

-Steve

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2011 03:20 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's commodity traders that have brought the price up, both oil and gasoline. It should go down, but when? Who knows?
I understand there is a glut of oil and that the unrest in the Middle East has had minimal effect, so far.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-05-2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been in business for almost forty six years but have been semi retired since 1998 when I closed my studio and started to work from my home as a free lance photographer. I still own and drive a car when I go out on assignments but use public transportation when I do not need to drive such as times when I have to go to my local professional color lab or when I go shopping or to the movies. As a senior citizen, I am very fortunate to be able to purchase a unlimited annual bus pass for thirty dollars and managed to save at least two thousand dollars a year in gas, parking and automotive upkeep by riding a bus. At the way the price of gas is going up, I should be saving even more.

Honolulu's public transportation system is among the best in the country when it won the nation's best public transportation award two years in a row a few years ago. I enjoy commuting on a bus because it gives me a wonderful opportunity to catch up on my reading and listening to classical music on my smart phone and iPod.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-05-2011 04:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
It's commodity traders that have brought the price up, both oil and gasoline. It should go down, but when? Who knows?
When it wrecks the economy. Again.

I know there was a number of things that pushed the country into a deep recession last time around -the chief reason being countless millions of Americans living beyond their means. Price gouging at the gas pump was the catalyst that pushed the economy over the edge.

Steve is absolutely right. Consumers have only so much money to spend. This current "recovery" has been called a jobless recovery and the middle class has largely been left out of the recovery. The fact remains 70% of the United States economy depends on consumer spending. Buying and selling of goods. Consumers must have enough money left over after paying all their usual monthly bills to be able to buy stuff. Price gouging consumers for gasoline has every bit as harmful an effect as a tax hike. They end up with less money to spend on material goods.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2011 04:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't pay attention to gas prices, never have. Everyone else seems obsessed with them.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-06-2011 12:46 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I am, we pay about $4.65 per US Gallon. Works out to about $1.23 a litre right now.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-06-2011 01:23 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is a US gallon different from a Canadian gallon? Are there more or fewer ounces in the Canadian version of the gallon? Also, is that Canadian dollars or US dollars?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-06-2011 01:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..called "Imperial Gallon"...

1 Imperial gallon = 4.546 liters

One imperial gallon is approximately equal to 1.201 U.S. gallons.

Canada, before they went total metric, used the Imperial Gallon measurement - as with the British Commonwealth.

Thus, a 12oz can of soda was about two inches taller than the U.S. counterparts

$1.00 CAD = $.97 USD .. 40 years ago, One Dollar CAD was only worth $.67 USD (shows how bad our money is nowdays ...)

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 06:01 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest so far in this neck of the woods is £1.32 petrol/£1.38diesel p/l on the news the other day some garages were retailing @ £1.43 and higher, in the real northern areas, so glad i got my car converted to lpg, i am now shelling out 0.75 litr.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-06-2011 12:15 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I was in SoCal last week, regular self-serve gas at places like Chevron or Shell was anywhere from $3.77 to $4.17 per gallon. One Chevron in Pasadena was selling regular at $4.11 per gallon.

Here in Sin City we're averaging around $3.57 for a gallon of self-serve regular.

I think we will see $5.00/gallon at many US locations this summer.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 01:31 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this makes no sense to me at all but gas was at $3.15 when I filled up yesterday. That's only $.20 above the norm around here. You would think gas would hike up here just because of the transportation cost to get it here. I guess not.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-06-2011 02:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
I think we will see $5.00/gallon at many US locations this summer.
I hope not. I don't think the American economy can sustain that.

High fuel prices have already been contributing to a lot of rural towns losing population and put on a seemingly irreversible trend of dying out. The young people leave for the bigger cities and towns with more youthful population. Rising fuel costs make it ever more expensive to run a small town. Many end up without a police or fire dept., the town school closes, streets are too expensive to repair, etc. Of course, it takes a lot of fuel to run agricultural businesses and those costs get passed along to us in the form of higher food prices. Elderly people have have called a certain town home all of their lives may be forced to move to larger cities due to rising insurance costs and closer access to health care and other services.

Long commute distances really take a toll on personal finances. In the past housing bust a lot of "McMansions" built out in ex-hurbs 20, 30 or more miles away from a major city were repossessed by banks and some remain unsold. I've read about some of these housing developments being America's newest form of ghost town.

If gasoline does get up to $5 per gallon here, I'm going to be using my trail bike a lot more. As for trips to Colorado, I may end up flying instead of driving.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 02:58 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
If gasoline does get up to $5 per gallon here, I'm going to be using my trail bike a lot more. As for trips to Colorado, I may end up flying instead of driving.

Might not jet fuel suffer similar price hikes, prompting the increases in air fares? Like you say, fuel prices affect everything. I suppose flying may remain a more attractive option in time saved though.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-06-2011 03:12 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the American economy can sustain that.

I am going to argue the other way. The American economy can survive or sustain it if the change. Everything and the way everyone lives needs to change.

High fuel prices have already been contributing to a lot of rural towns losing population and put on a seemingly irreversible trend of dying out. The young people leave for the bigger cities and towns with more youthful population. Rising fuel costs make it ever more expensive to run a small town.
I was listening to a Coast to Coast AM show and the guest was arguing that the magic number for change is $6/gallon of fuel. At that price people will be forced to change.

It was also argued and agreed that small towns will thrive if they are located on a railway or abandoned railway line. We will see a return of small town manufacturiing so it was claimed.

I live in the GTA which is 30km from downtown Toronto. I no longer drive into the city (I take the train), I don't go very far on my days off from work, I walk to buy groceries and basic items. I am also looking for a new job which hopefully will be within walking/biking distance.

Producing and making local will be a thing of the future IMO and anything/anyone near a railway line will thrive

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: