Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theater Comic

Author Topic: Theater Comic
Robert Crabtree
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2011 02:33 AM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case any of you are into that sort of thing, there's a fairly awesome webcomic about the employees of the generically named Multiplex 10. Quite funny, the artist takes efforts to accurately depict a theatre (he has never worked at one before), and the story lines have gone in some pretty awesome directions.

Multiplex- The Beginning

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2011 11:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought there was great potential for a "WKRP"-like show about a multiplex. You could have a genial but clueless general manager, an evil regional boss who would show up now and then, a sexy but shy head ticket seller, a stoned-out projectionist (played by Joe Redifer) with a hip black projectionist friend, a nerdish floor manager, a beautiful office manager, a shady booker who's always trying to hook up with the office manager, and a happenin' dude who shows up to revive the plex's sagging grosses, and a bunch of teenagers working concessions.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2011 01:21 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
a stoned-out projectionist (played by Joe Redifer) with a hip black projectionist friend
[thumbsup]

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2011 12:07 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] Love it!!! Just the thing after a long day at work... [beer]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2011 01:30 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's another thread somewhere around here where we talked about Multiplex. Don't know where and don't feel like looking, I've been reading Multiplex from the start. Its a great comic that is pretty accurate. Gordon (The artist) based his comic off of Goodrich Theatres and one of the locations his friend Kurt (Not me [Smile] )

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-19-2011 09:39 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the short-lived 'Brainwrap Comics': http://www.brainwrapcomics.com/

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-19-2011 11:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have drawn a few theater comics myself. Nothing too fancy. This one is called Madstoned and I drew it while I was projectionist at the Madstone Tamarac Square 6 in Denver, CO. Probably 2003-ish???

-

-

-

Madstone Theaters went out of business due to crappy movie selections.
I actually did write a page 2 for this issue. Here's how it went (but was never drawn):

All employees and customers lived in fear of the mighty
Omer. Madstone had become an unpleasant place to be,
as unbelievable as that sounds.

Omer - "Yes! Madstone is once again under my complete control!
I shall continue to use my prominent position to advance my own
twisted personal agendas!"

Nate - "Not so fast there, Omer! I have returned
from my fabulous vacation, and will now crush you
and retake my power!"

Omer - "Did you enjoy your vacation?"

Nate - "Yes I sure did! I have pictures."

Omer - "I'd like to see them. But first, you must DIE!"

FIGHT SCENE:
Nate puts Omer's cybernetic arm into an electrical
socket and fries him. Nate wins.

Nate - "Once again Madstone is powered by my incredible self!"

THE END (Somehow).

-

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-20-2011 07:21 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome.

I used to do a comic about a radio station I worked for years ago that either used to be funny or controversial with the staff (depending on how you were portrayed, of course.)

Don't have them anymore, though.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-20-2011 09:57 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good work, Joe. (Second career??) Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-20-2011 03:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I actually did a similar comic much earlier called "Jeff's Life" about a theater janitor at a dumpy 6 plex. In fact a few lines from "Madstoned" were ripped directly from "Jeff's Life". The thing is that Jeff's Life is kind of long. 5 issues with multiple pages each. Should I post 'em? I do like them much better than Madstoned but I don't want to be seen as spamming the thread.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: