Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Worst remakes: 2011 edition (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Worst remakes: 2011 edition
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-12-2011 02:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am tempted to declare the race for worst remake of the year to be over already, based on the trailer for "Arthur" which looks positively amazingly awful. How anyone at WB could have put a stamp of approval on this remake of a truly wonderful movie is beyond imagination.

Watch this trailer if you dare.

|  IP: Logged

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 04:57 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-12-2011 05:27 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^What he said.

^ What he said.

v What he says.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 05:37 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[puke]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 07:04 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a total waste of Helen Mirren.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2011 09:27 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the title might be the same, it looks nothing like the original. We gotta remember - we're probably the only people who go to the movies now days who actually remember the original. I could probably ask all of my concessions staff about Dudley Moore's Arthur... and they'd all look back at me and go Huh? Who?

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2011 10:23 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Christopher Cross. No sale. [thumbsdown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-14-2011 10:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they totally removed the Liza Minelli character from the story! At least that character isn't in the trailer (or did I just miss it?).

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2011 12:31 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New York Times article about filming the new Arthur

According to the article I just found there is, in fact, someone playing the same role that Liza Minnelli played in the original movie. She's kind of an unknown actress so maybe the movie-makers wanted her to be kind of a surprise. Who knows?

It also appears that Bollywood already remade Arthur anyway, which means this new movie is completely unnecessary, right? Unfortunately, it seems that the whole "alcoholism is funny" idea was already a problem when they made the official Arthur sequel in the late 1980s.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2011 09:08 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
It looks like they totally removed the Liza Minelli character from the story! At least that character isn't in the trailer (or did I just miss it?).

She is there, but not used much in the trailer. It's the woman in the first shot in the blue shirt who says "Who are you people?"

She is played by a fairly new actress Greta Gerwig. Shw was last seen starring opposite Ben Stiller in Greenberg, and she was good in that so I think she'll suit the role.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-16-2011 04:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...it gets worse.

-

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-16-2011 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They used the same logo, but in the original the "a" was tipped up against the r. This time, it's just a flat, lazy remake of the logo. Probably a metaphor for the whole film.

Jeez I usually try not to pre-judge a movie from its trailers but this one just keeps looking worse and worse.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-16-2011 07:54 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I ever want to see the trailer again, but didn't they tilt the 'a' in that?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-17-2011 01:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, in the trailer it's written like this:

aRTHUR

(but with all letters the same height)

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-17-2011 02:12 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: