Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Stop! Don't Project That Handbag!

Author Topic: Stop! Don't Project That Handbag!
Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting from the Kickstarter website:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409580523/handbags-made-from-35mm-pre-run-hollywood-movies

"I have a line of handbags and accessories are made from actual 35mm Hollywood movies that are no longer running in theaters. Each bag or item is a mix of many different feature Hollywood movies that were features after the late 1980’s; or in some cases the handbags are made exclusivley of a popular feature film, such as the movie "Twilight". The first run of bags I had made last year was very successful through my sales to individuals, specific shows, and several wholesale accounts. However as times are lean and expenses are high, I am finding it difficult to pull together the financing I need to do another run of these bags and to expand the line to include more women's designs, and a line for men; and that's why I need your help!

I use more recent films (after the late 1980’s) because they are 100% polyester and more durable than the older films that were made of acetate or celluloid (which cracked easily and was also flammable). The movies are normally destroyed after their run in the theaters and I get them from the distributors and cut them up (a way of destroying them that does not violate copyright laws) and have them made into handbags and accessories which I design. This keeps the films out of the landfills and creates a potential collector’s item when eventually all theaters convert to digital film.

The movie film is backed with a clear polyester film (therefore it is actually two layers of polyester film for increased durability) so you can see the images when held up to the light; but when the bag is closed the contents will not be visible, although you can see your cell phone when it rings! Remember that the films have previously been exposed to hours of bright light and have gone round and round on film spools in a projector, so durability is beyond extreme, and exposure to light or heat or rain is not a problem...trust me, I live in Portland where it rains 42" per year!!

I make the protoypes and then I send the reels and prototypes to The Phillipines where the beautiful hand-crochet work , using more durable “mercerized” yarns, is done by a women's cooperative . These women are being paid fairly and were given this work after the earthquake hit Manila in March of 2010 "

Reminder before you laugh: IT'S NOT ME, I found this referral on the Boingboing.com site

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-13-2011 02:11 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's that good ole entrepreneurial, Yankee can-do spirit that made this country great. He's a one-man operation and already he's figured that outsourcing his labor to a foreign country is the way to go!

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2011 02:29 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He is actually a she. [thumbsup]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-21-2011 08:05 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my old theatre managers made Xmas wreaths out of film and white mini xmas lights. He sold them for over $150 EACH!!

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2011 04:19 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they use Film Guard on those Handbags [Smile]

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2011 04:40 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ask for the nitrate model, the ideal present for your stepmother [evil]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2011 09:44 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the 16mm model for the kids?

(Nitrate for the mother-in law / Step-mom. Priceless!)

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2011 05:46 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a really durable handbag you'd make it out of harddrives.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2011 10:23 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And hard drives don't fade or get dirty and the ten millionth time it's as good as the first, blah, blah, blah.

But I was thinking, weren't the studios all up in ebays face a year or two ago claiming that trailers are copyrighted and they pressured ebay to cancel all 35mm trailer auctions? There was a big debate about the studios claim that the trailers physically belong to them by reason of copyright -- totally ludicrous argument, of course, and the more they opened their mouths, the more idotic they sounded (the Universal Legal Department sent a letter to some poor schlub who won a JURASSIC PARK trailer (I think that was the title), said it was their property and he had to return it. Ebay even had an open forum about it with a bunch of collectors, and even though the collectors had legal information and court case rulings that contradicted the studios position, ebay wound up just saying, basically, hey, it's our site we make the rules and we go along with the MPAA.

I think Ebay might still be a policy, but they don't seem to enforce it because I have seen some now and again.

Wonder what the studios would say if they found out that "their" property was being turned into handbags that someone was selling, and without giving them a cut. Great way for those corporate lawyers to make themselves look like they deserve the salary they are getting by going after trailer collectors and handbag trailer manufacturers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: