Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Getting around San Francisco

Author Topic: Getting around San Francisco
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2011 09:36 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going out to SF in a few weeks and am wondering what is the best way to get around the city? I was there briefly a few months ago for one day with my car for a movie screening, and it was a pain the ass to find parking in most places I visited. Right now I'm planning on staying near the airport as it is cheaper and some of them offer free parking. I notice that BART is an option, but tickets seem rather expensive depending on where you're going. So would the best option be to rent a car there, or use public transportation?

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2011 07:48 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in SF, streetcars and feet worked for me. Cable car may also be an option.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-10-2011 09:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the "F Market and Wharves" line. I have no idea if it provides useful transportation, but it's worth checking out because they use restored PCC streetcars.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2011 09:11 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every trip we've made to SF we purchased the "unlimited" BART ticket. You use to could purchase it for a different number of days...i.e. 1 day pass, 4 day pass, etc. It seemed to be cheaper to do that. It's good for anything BART operates.

Don

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-10-2011 09:40 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The times I've been to San Francisco. I stayed in the Union Square area and a few hotels along Lombard Street near Van Ness Ave. . Many of the hotels along Lombard Street have guest parking included. Your right from SFO area to the city is alittle expensive at $8.10 one way on BART.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2011 07:46 PM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Don on the BART pass. When I went for a 3 day trip I purchased a 4 day unlimited pass. We stayed in the Union Square area and took a taxi in from the airport (worth it for the views) and a train back.

Getting around in the city, we used trains, buses, cables cars, trolleys, and our feet (make sure you wear comfortable shoes!). There was absolutely no need for a car, which I loved.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2011 10:11 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to SF 3 years ago, I bought a CityPass, which included most of the places I wanted to go anyway andn free tranist on everything but BART (the pass even included free cable car). BUT, SF is very easily negotiated on foot. One day I walked from my motel on Market (a Travelodge =- but DONT stay there!!!) to Golden Gate Park to Lincoln Park. I was REALLY disappointed in the city when it came to theatres, though. I spent a lot of times there when living in Berkeley in the mid 70's, and it was kinda depressing seeing so many of them closed 9or even torn down).

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2011 03:34 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked the Bart site and they have passes for $45 but don't specify if thats unlimited or not. Is that about how much the unlimited tickets cost?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-13-2011 06:44 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From their website:
quote:
BART fares are set with a mileage-based formula, therefore time-based passes (e.g., weekly or monthly) are not available.
So there's no such thing as an "unlimited pass."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: