Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Any Cigar smokers here? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Any Cigar smokers here?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-03-2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a non smoker now and has been for many years but when I was much younger I used to smoke a pipe and cigars. I especially loved pipe smoking and still have a very nice collection of pipes made from special woods with very weird carvings. My dentist made me give up pipe smoking when the heat generated from smoking was causing problems at the roof of my mouth. He warned me that I would risk getting cancer if I continued to smoke a pipe so I reluctantly gave it up. I also smoked cigars at the time and once had the opportunity to enjoy a box of Cuban cigars I bought from a duty free store on the Canadian side of Niagara Fall many years ago. They were delightful and I was very sad when I smoked the last one I also gave up Cigar smoking shortly after I had quit pipe smoking. Because I never acquired a taste for cigarettes and never inhaled when I smoked a pipe and cigars, I never became addicted to tobacco and it was very easy to quit.

I was at a convenience store at the Ala Moana Centre mall in Honolulu the other day and saw on the counter a display of cigars made from tobacco leaves grown on the island of Kauai here in Hawaii. I knew coffee and cacao are grown here but I did not know tobacco for cigars was too. What is interesting is the fact that Cuba is almost exactly east of us in the Atlantic ocean and the seed used at the Hawaiian plantation is the same seed used for Cuban cigar production- Pinar del Rio. Other Cuban cigar seed are also used such as Habano, Corojo, and Criollo. Because of United States and State of Hawaii tax on tobacco production especially cigar production would make locally produced cigars prohibitive, the leaves are shipped to Nicaragua after they have been harvested, dried and cured. Additional processing is done to the leaves in Nicaragua and they are finally hand rolled at a small cigar production plant and shipped back to Hawaii.

After reading the literature I got from the store, I am very tempted to give it a try by going back to the store and purchase some The cigars are not cheap costing about $4.00 each in package of three. If you are interested, you can go to their website at www.kauaicigar.com to learn more about the Kauai Cigar Company. You can also read testimonials and find out where you can buy the cigars when you go online.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2011 06:22 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually received a nice humidor for Christmas this year. I quit smoking cigarettes when my wife was a few months pregnant. I like to smoke cigars, but I'm sampling around brands and types right now.
I find they help me not smoke cigarettes, if you have smoker friends over, I can just smoke one cigar all night without the temptation for cigarettes.
They're also great in the backyard in the summer when you're having beers (I love my kegorator!)
For the most part I play around in the romeo y Julieta's, but I have some CAO and H. Upmann's sitting around too. I actually discovered "nice" cigars when in Mexico (Good ones are pretty cheap there).
Not all cuban's are super expensive, but Cohiba's I think are what come to mind for most people when talking about cuban cigars, and they are expensive. I think the most expensive cigar in my humidor right now is a $15 corona. I like to keep some less expensive ones around for sharing and having one without feeling guilty about the cost.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-03-2011 08:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i am a die hard pipe smoker and probably will never give it up
 -
the only way to eq a room

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2011 10:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, that should be your profile picture!

AJG

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2011 10:26 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I confess to enjoying an occasional cigar.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-03-2011 10:52 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I am very tempted to give it a try
Honestly Claude, I wouldn't do it. Remember what the dentist said?

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2011 03:47 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$4 for 3?
Buy them now!
Occasionally can get decent cigars for a decent price, but my sister is usually on the lookout for me when travelling thru duty free.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-05-2011 03:53 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cigars was not the problem, Tom. It was the pipe smoking that was causing the problem in my mouth. If I decide to try the Hawaiian cigars, it will be only to settle my curiosity about how good they are.

-Claude

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 02-05-2011 05:15 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monica, Monica.
Where for art thou Monica?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-05-2011 05:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monica she is busy in the humidor [Smile] [sex]

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-07-2011 10:42 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude-you have made it this far. Why go back to tobacco. There is no such thing as safe tabacco use

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-08-2011 12:26 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Cigars was not the problem, Tom. It was the pipe smoking that was causing the problem in my mouth.
Did your dentist actually say this? Or are yo only assuming that because he said that you should stop pipe smoking that cigar smoking would be alright with him?

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2011 04:27 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I occasionally smoked cigarettes and cigars in the past but nothing too fancy. What I do however smoke on a regular basis is the pipe, since I'm 20 years old. I really enjoy its taste, art and fun. I have a weakness for vanilla-flavored tobacco.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-08-2011 06:13 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lionel

quote: Lionel Fouillen
since I'm 20 years old
I know you really mean " 'since I was' 20 years old". It's incorrect as what you have posted literally means you are now 20 years old. I actually like saying it that way (reminds me of living in Belgium) but you have to be careful where and how you say it. If you'd said "since 20 years" it would be correct-ish but "for 20 years" would be better.

I used to enjoy the odd cigar but the last one I had about 3 months ago left that icky taste in my mouth. I had not had one prior since about 3 years. [Wink]

My favourite was Romeo Y Julietta.

-

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2011 06:16 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, thanks for correcting me. [Wink] I've been smoking for 20 years, and was 20 years old when I started [Wink]

I smoked a few "Churchill" Romeo y Julieta as well. But finally gave up due to the terrible smell that stays in the rooms (and also in the car when I had the weakness of smoking in the heavy traffic jams around Brussels, listening to Maurice Jarre or John Williams).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: