Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP: Composer John Barry

Author Topic: RIP: Composer John Barry
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-31-2011 11:11 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film & Television Composer John Barry has died in New York, he was 77 years old.

Just a few of titles of his many works.
  • From Russia with Love
    Zulu
    Goldfinger
    Ipress Files
    King Rat
    Thunderball
    The Chase
    Born Free
    You Only Live Twice
    The Lion in Winter
    Midnight Cowboy
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Monte Walsh
    Walkabout
    Diamonds Are Forever
    Mary, Queen of Scots
    The Man with the Golden Gun
    Robin and Marian
    King Kong
    The Deep
    The Black Hole
    Moonraker
    Somewhere in Time
    Body Heat
    Frances
    Octopussy
    Cotton Club
    Out of Africa
    Living Daylights
    Dances with Wolves
    Chaplin

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-31-2011 11:26 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to give my CD of the Dances With Wolves soundtrack a spin. John Barry won an Oscar for that score. He also won Oscars for the scores of Out of Africa and The Lion in Winter. He wrote the music for the song Born Free and shared the Best Song Oscar with lyricist Don Black.

John Barry probably isn't as well known as composers like John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith. But he definitely was one of the greats and had quite an accomplished career.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-31-2011 12:23 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not remember the title of the movie but John Barry also wrote the score for a short IMAX film about a little Russian boy and his adventures in modern New York City. It was in 3-D and I saw it at the IMAX theatre at Lincoln Centre in NYC about twelve years ago.

Mr. Barry was one of my favorite film composer and the score he wrote for BORN FREE is my favorite. Although he has left us, his music will still continue to live on.

R.I.P.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2011 12:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I like David Arnold, I was always secretly hoping they'd get Barry to do one more Bond film score. He will be missed.

AJG

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-31-2011 12:59 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, the title of the IMAX short was "Across the Sea of Time" (1995).

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-31-2011 01:39 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news indeed. Spookily, just yesterday I'd made up a playlist entirely of John Barry music on my Grooveshark account. You can listen to it all here.

RIP John and thanks for all the fantastic memories you've left us.

-

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-01-2011 02:30 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous composer. He many not be as well known as some of the others but certainly not of any less stature (and unlike John Williams, not nearly as derivitive).

I was so taken by his DANCES WITH WOLVES score, that when we ran that title, I insisted we treat the run as a Roadshow Engagement and I recorded a 14 minute mix of the score and used it as Overture music -- no coming attractions, no snipes, no nothing, just his score leading into the film opening with that beautifully haunting John Dunbar Theme.

Luckily for us, he lives on in his music.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-01-2011 07:30 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Somewhere in Time" is a great score - I can listen to that one from start to finish.

"Out of Africa" is also a favorite.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2011 06:10 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His more recent work continued to stand out too - for example his score for Enigma (2001) and the jazz-based Playing By Heart (1999) which paid homage to Chet Baker.

And of course, back in the day he had also worked as a Projectionist at his father's cinema [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: