Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP Jack Lalanne

Author Topic: RIP Jack Lalanne
Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-23-2011 10:09 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Died of pneumonia at age 96.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-23-2011 10:23 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[i]Inhale... Exhale![i]

RIP Jack.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2011 10:45 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about it on the radio on the way home tonite.
They didn't mention anything about funeral
arrangements, so I'm not sure if there's going to
be a burial, a creamation or if they're just going
to toss him into a big blender.

RIP Jack! You lived a long and well!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 09:59 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First saw Jack on the old Groucho Marx show: You Bet Your Life!. Louis

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-24-2011 10:51 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured Jack Lalanne would live to be 110 or at least pass the 100 year mark. That's too bad. He probably did more than any other single person to raise public awareness about physical fitness.

This flu season has been pretty bad. Lots of pneumonia cases, some really severe. This past September a lady I know spent 3 weeks in the hospital with pneumonia. One of my coworkers just got out of the hospital. He was admitted with double pneumonia, spent 3 days in ICU and nearly died. It was another 3 weeks before he was released. The dude is still pretty weak from the ordeal and having to put up with pleurisy, a painful inflammatory condition around the lungs. Both of these people are in their 40's. Had they been elderly aged they might not have survived.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2011 11:06 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First saw Jack on the old Groucho Marx show: You Bet Your Life!.
WoW! I have a 4 DVD disk set of all the YBYL TV shows here.
That show is probably on it somewhere. I'll have to see
if I can find that show later.

Jack was from San Francisco. Every year he had a big
birthday party at one of the famous restaurant/bars
downtown. I was passing by & saw him there a few
years ago.

Jack exercised every day, ate healthy foods and
lived to be 95.

George Burns drank a glass of scotch, & smoked a
couple of cigars a day and lived to be 100.

wtf?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 11:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack LaLanne always reminds me of my grandma. She was a big fan and exercised with his TV show every day. She ate healthy, didn't smoke or drink .... and died of a stroke at 65. So I don't believe there's truly a way to even guess when it's our "time."

That George Burns note above reminds me of one of my favorite George Burns/Johnny Carson exchanges:

Burns: I have a couple of martinis and two or three cigars every day.
Carson: What does your doctor say about that?
Burns: He's dead.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 12:25 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You also have to consider that however much we think "Jack lived long because of juicing, exercise, etc", his closest relatives also lived long as well. And they didn't all exercise or juice.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-24-2011 01:52 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about odds. Certain factors improve your odds at living longer while other actions worsen the odds. You have to know your own specific risks and act accordingly. What works for you isn't necessarily going to work for someone else.

People always make the same old jokes about George Burns living to be 100 while smoking cigars and drinking martinis all the time. That's a rare anomaly. It's isn't remotely average. It's either that story or the story of the friend's brother's uncle who knew someone in Pittsburgh who lived to be 120 on a diet of deep fried pork, whiskey, Marlboro red's, cocaine and heroin (it's a bullshit story, so let's make the legend sound even more incredible).

I have some relatives who are/were long lived. My dad's mother is still doing well at 96. Her mother lived to be 101 (she didn't smoke or drink like George Burns). Genetics only goes so far. Others in my dad's side of the family have died of cancer, heart disease, etc. at average or significantly younger ages. At some point choices of diet, activity level, exercise, stress management, alcohol and tobacco intake will become factors in determining your life span.

My own risk factors have to be managed. For now, diet and exercise is keeping my cholesterol at a healthy level. I can't get away with frequently making bad lifestyle choices and it would be really stupid for me to rationalize poor choices just because I had a great grandmother who lived to be 101. She may have been a blood relative, but she was still a different person.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 01:55 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
They didn't mention anything about funeral
arrangements, so I'm not sure if there's going to
be a burial, a creamation or if they're just going
to toss him into a big blender.

-
Jim, It's not nice to have fun at the expense of the departed, but DAMN bro, you've got me squirting coffee out my nose!

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2011 04:39 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing Jack when he first went on the air in L.A. about the time Gorgeous George was popular. Thanks Jack and RIP.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 04:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you've got me squirting coffee out my nose!
That WAS funny but I liked the joke about the guy who invented the multiplex theatre more: "Funeral will be at 2:00, 3:10, 4:30, 7:00 and 9:15."

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2011 05:54 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
Jack exercised every day, ate healthy foods and
lived to be 95.

George Burns drank a glass of scotch, & smoked a
couple of cigars a day and lived to be 100.

wtf?

Well one's immune system must get a workout to maintain it's viability for a longer period of time. Thus my own argument for drinking and smoking. [Cool]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: