Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 70MM ad thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  36  37  38 

Author Topic: 70MM ad thread
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-22-2011 04:24 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am hoping some of you out there have some old newspapers with the old 70MM ads.

I would love to see them!

-
 -
 -
 -

-
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-03-2011 05:23 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I do not have any 70mm newspaper clippings for you but it used to give me a trill whenever a new movie opens in Honolulu and newspaper ads would indicate the film is playing in that large format and our local theatres. Newspapers were pretty good in Honolulu advertising 70mm showings but for some reason when David Lean's RYAN'S DAUGHTER played at the Kuhio, the newspaper ads did not indicate at all it was in 70mm. It only gave me the impression it was a 35mm showing but I went anyway and I was very pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a 70mm showing. Because it was photographed in 65mm Panavision, like LAWREBCE OF ARABIA, the image quality was gorgeous! So was the six track mag sound.

There were no 70mm theatres that I know of on the neighbor islands but Honolulu did have a couple great houses. They were The Kuhio (Before Twinning), Waikiki #1 & #2, Waikiki#3, Cinerama, Royal, Queen, Kapiolani, Varsity (Before twinning) Kapiolani (also when it was operated by Toho of Japan), Kokusai (Daie Studio-Japan) and the Kahala #1. Of all of Honolulu's 70mm theatres, only the Kahala is still in operation but they will never show large format prints anymore because it is a first run theatre showing current movies.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-10-2011 12:06 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a decent collection of 70mm ad clippings, but just about all of them are too freaking big to display effectively within the 550 pixel width limit of this forum. A lot of the ads are full page ads from the Sunday New York Times. If I shrank those ads down to 550px size you would barely be able to make out the 70mm logos.

I do have a few smaller 70mm movie newspaper ad clippings, but haven't got around to scanning them.

Isn't one of the points of this thread about how 70mm was advertised way back in the day? It's kind of about those logos right? I spent a decent amount of time scanning those logos and creating accurate, vector-based graphics art files of them. I've had some fun playing around with the things, like creating fake movie ads like this:

-

I made a 5" X 30" acrylic sign decorated with vinyl graphics and gave it to Brad Miller for his screening room. I don't know if he ever used it though.
 -

Here's a jazzed up concept for 70mm DTS:
 -

The 70mm logos from 1980's newspaper ads don't reproduce well at small sizes. I threw together this GIF image, but rotated it 90 degrees so more of the logo details would be preserved.

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-10-2011 12:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
within the 550 pixel width limit of this forum.
800. Not 550. 800.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-10-2011 12:30 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did the image width limit change from 550 to 800 pixels?

Not that it would have made any difference about that last 70mm logo collage. It's 1000 pixels tall (by 550 wide).
[Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-10-2011 12:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fixed it for you.

Click for full size:
 -

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-10-2011 12:41 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice.
[thumbsup]

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2011 01:33 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably way to late in the game for something like this to ever appear but I always thought it would be nice to see ads differentiating the different forms of 'IMAX' Example "Presented in IMAX 70mm on our GIANT SCREEN" vs "Presented in the IMAX Digital experience" or something to those effects.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-10-2011 03:14 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean Weitzel
"Presented in IMAX 70mm on our GIANT SCREEN" vs "Presented in the IMAX Digital experience" or something to those effects
IMAX already says its digital:

"A DLP Cinema Technologies" right before the movie starts. Also, they clearly state "Crystal Clear Digital Picture" during the countdown that is not available on 70mm prints.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-10-2011 09:00 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX doesn't differentiate the terms in the movie advertising. The general IMAX term is applied even if the movie doesn't have any 15/70mm film prints. That's misleading.

IMAX is still playing games with the theater listings on its web site. The company does not clearly differentiate digital-based theaters from the superior film-based theaters. I just looked at the map on their web site. The 15/70 3D capable IMAX theaters are lumped in with the Lie-MAX ones. The only ones you know for sure are film based are the domed screen theaters and 2D-only theaters.

BTW, the little DLP message thrown on screen before the movie starts is a fairly useless warning. The customer already paid for his ticket.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2011 12:44 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2011 02:32 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, theatres would actually put out the effort to distinguish their showmanship.

But, wow! They only had 15 minutes between screenings.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2011 02:52 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Giant Screen Cinema Association has launched a campaign " Bigger Bolder Better" in an attempt to differentiate the Giant Screen Cinema experience on flat and dome screens .

We have also set out specifications to define what is a giant screen .

Yo can see details here http://www.giantscreencinema.com/MemberCenter/BiggerBolderBetter.aspx

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2011 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically only 14 minutes between showtimes. Still that is assuming they ran NO previews or branding of any sort and that such a huge quantity of people can be cleared from the auditorium, theater cleaned and then re-sat.

No way did they clean between showings.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-10-2011 03:34 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So much for showmanship then.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  36  37  38 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: