Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Real Time Streaming Video from Camcorder to Web via Wi-Fi?

Author Topic: Real Time Streaming Video from Camcorder to Web via Wi-Fi?
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2011 11:46 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a need for something like this where I work. There are several reasons currently that prohibit me from traveling to customer's sites. Besides the fact that my wife is nine months pregnant, it just does not make sense in this economy to have me flying all over the place when I am sure that there is technology in place to help with this. We have a lot of new reps in the field. Since I have been here eleven years and worked inside and out in the field as a sales rep, I have an extensive knowledge of our products and different welding applications. I am also responsible for designing and building special systems to automate welding processes in applications where our normal product will not work. The problem is with five reps in the field, I can't be everywhere all of the time. I need to be available to all of the them as much as possible. Taking me out of the office to go visit a customer hinders the sales efforts of the other reps that need my support. I also need to be able to see a customer's particular application via hi-def video so I don't have to actually go there. I need a way to be onsite without physically being onsite.

I am currently scheduled for a call via Skype on Friday with a customer in Texas to look at some changes to a special piece of equipment that I had modified for them for testing purposes. They want to buy multiple units but they have some suggestions for further modifications. The problem is that our rep is going to have to use his crappy laptop with a built-in camera which will not be easy for him to manuever. I have a tethered webcam but even it has it's limitations. I see a need for a camcorder type of device that could work off of a wi-fi connection and stream live content to the web like Skype but give you the freedom of being able to move around as needed and provide hi-def video. Does anyone have any knowledge of any hardware that fits this need or maybe even something close? Maybe just a wi-fi webcam even. Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2011 11:31 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While not hi def, the Iphone could be an easier alternative with it's Facetime app. I believe you can make Facetime calls to a mac, so if you have a mac and the guy has an Iphone, you'd be set.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-23-2011 12:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite sure if this is what you are looking for but V-Brick is used heavily for video streaming in the A/V circles.

-Steve

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2011 09:53 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: