Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How long will the image of film as an icon survive?

Author Topic: How long will the image of film as an icon survive?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-08-2011 01:42 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I mean is, when graphic artist, Madison Ave., industry people themselves want to convey the idea of anything related to movies graphicly, they almost incorporate the universally familiar image of film, with sprocket holes, frame lines, sound track (sometimes) and the usually rounded corners (which we haven't used for many years).

So what are they going to do when film is gone and a younger generation have never laid its collective eyes of a piece of film? Would it make sense to continually to use that icon in ads and in displays? Or has it become so ingrained in our DNA that it would take a millenium to loose its instantanious recognition? Like 20th Century Fox. Will they ever change it to 21st Centure Fox? There was a question in the months before 2000 if they would change it; I for one am glad that they didn't.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-08-2011 01:48 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1-0-1-0-1-0

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2011 02:23 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it will last longer that any of us currently alive and posting on these forums. I'm glad Fox kept its name and logo. It use to make me proud when I hit the screen with it (which included the CinemaScope trademark at the time).

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2011 08:03 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since most of the ads I have seen where film is the implied image, the agency takes new video images and introduces jumps and MANY scratches to the image. The implication is that you can only tell it is film if you see gross imperfections.

I am especially disturbed by the light struck effects. Oh, yes, those punched out numbers that were on the tails of some 8mm and 16mm consumer processed movie films really add to the effect!

The agencies don't like film or respect it, they just poke fun at it. That is what the "film look" has become.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-08-2011 08:11 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I heard that someone else trademarked 21st century fox. Louis

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-08-2011 08:20 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably as long as the skipping or scratched record is used by sound guys [Wink]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2011 08:41 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will last as long as indies with digi-cams continue to call themselves "filmmakers."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-08-2011 10:28 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The graphics people will just jump to other images used as icons. Motion picture cameras, studio lights, theater marquees, etc.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-08-2011 08:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since most people already think we just run DVDs or something similar, and it's been that way for at least 20 years, I think the image of a piece of film will be around for quite a while still.

I also vote NOT in favor of Fox ever changing its name. Not all names need to be "current" to be good. 21st Century Fox just doesn't look or sound right. If they did anything I would expect them to drop the whole "century" thing and just become "Fox Entertainment" or something.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-09-2011 02:20 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
....I am especially disturbed by the light struck effects. Oh, yes, those punched out numbers that were on the tails of some 8mm and 16mm consumer processed movie films really add to the effect!

The agencies don't like film or respect it, they just poke fun at it. That is what the "film look" has become.

Indeed.

Another effect used in the new "Star Trek" was the annoying lens flare. WAAAY overused throughout the entire movie. I hope it doesn't become a trend.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: