Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Help me identify this film... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help me identify this film...
Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2010 02:05 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I have a few pieces of film given to me by some projectionists twenty years ago. I'd like to photograph them and be able to post hem on the web, but I lack the equipemnt to do it correctly. The technique I'm using so far is horrible but I'd be happy if any of you would recommend a method to give better results.

What I did is create a white image filling the screen of my laptop computer with maximum light intensity. Then I put the film on it and take a picture with my automatic Canon IXUS60 camera. The result sucks.

Anyway, here is a piece of 70mm I cannot identify. Would any film buff among you recognize this film based on the scenery ?

Thanks in advance.

-

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-24-2010 08:21 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a regular scanner? I had a 35mm snipe I needed a still from and just stuck it on my scanner. Worked great, but it was also a black-and-white image.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2010 09:31 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Redford?? Could be "The Sting", not a very sharp picture.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it looks like it came from "OLIVER".

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-24-2010 02:21 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver! ?
Song of Norway?

And why is the image horizontally offset?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-24-2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it s from SONG OF NORWAY. I saw it during it's Road Show single projection Cinerama 70mm showing at the Cinerama in Honoulu. The movie was about the Norwegian classical music composer Edvard Grieg.

-Claude

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-25-2010 01:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(when you want to do another shoot like this using the monitor screen as a backlight, set the camera mode where the "leaf" macro symbol is highlighted, then the focus will really track down more sharply..a little tip...)

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2010 02:06 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for tips to get a better picture. I'll try as well with a real scanner next week. I think it's definitely "Song of Norway" because, now that some of you mentioned it, I searched Google and found the film poster bill, where the same character with same clothes is visible.

I'll post a better scan of the film next week. I also have 3-4 frames from a 70mm print of The King and I (originally shot in Cinemascope 55) and a few frames from a 4-track mag. 35mm print of King Kong (1976). Might be of interest for some of you. I'll post that as well.

Paul, the image isn't horizontally offset. I suppose you refer to the dark vertical stripe on the right. It is a portion of the decor in the picture, but I admit it's not well visible on this lousy scan.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-25-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thanks for the explanation Lionel.

Zalig Kerstfeest!

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2010 04:41 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again, using a scanner, I obtained these files, posting here for the "digital era youngsters" who might be curious to see pieces of 70mm, magnetic tracks and the old Cinemascope 35mm format with Fox perforations. Viewed towards emulsion side. Magnetic tracks are on the back.

SONG OF NORWAY :

-

THE KING AND I :
Note the image slightly shorter in height, after printing onto 70mm from Cinemascope 55 negative.
I also had a few frames from the opening titles showing the "in Grandeur 70" logo, but I remember offering it to a friend of mine. Damn me [Roll Eyes]

-

CINERAMA :
Cinerama 70 trailer, reading "Our next feature in Cinerama" in French.
Was it common to have Cinerama trailers ?

-

KING KONG 1976:
4-track magnetic on 35mm, with half usable optical track in the later 2.35 aspect ratio.
Sorry for the poor brightness condition.

-

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2010 08:54 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lionel,

Please note on the 70mm scans there are little round holes every 5 sprocket holes. These 'frame space markers' were very handy when you needed to make a patch in a completely black section of film.

The half of an optical track was the emergency backup for a complete failure of the 35mm magnetic sound system. Although it was a little noisy at times, it was better than losing a show from a failure in your multi-track system. I think that feature was lovingly referred to as the "SYA TRACK".

KEN

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-30-2010 10:09 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the ones in those pictures don't line up.

Aren't they supposed to mark the outboard edge of the film so it's easier to thread up correctly? Either the film was flipped horizontally in a couple of those scans or the frame holes weren't properly oriented in the lab.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2010 10:25 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

The holes are made in the manufacture of the raw stock. It is unlikely that they would line up with the actual frame lines as the lab splices made on the fly do in 35mm processing. The holes denote the "frame space" and not the actual frame lines. These were a definite aid in making patches and joins but not used for threading or actual frame line identity.

It was not uncommon for the operator to "forget" that there are 5 sprocket holes to the frame in 70mm. This was very true in a booth that ran both 35 and then 70 only intermittently.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-30-2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
that feature was lovingly referred to as the "SYA TRACK".
Damn, you learn something new every day! Thanks for that tidbit, Ken; I thought I knew all there was to know about 4trk mag being that it was a format that I loved to run and collect, but this is a new one for me. What exactly does it mean? I used to call it the "peek-a-boo track."

I worked a house in Texas that played THE SOUND OF MUSIC and THE AGONY AND ECSTASY -- different engagements. The theatre got 4trk mag prints on both occasions, but we had no stereo equipment. I had to play them using the "SYA track" and was horrified at how bad it sounded. The cell read the unevenness of the mag stripe as uneven, low frequency rumble. I was in pain every show knowing what an awful experience I was giving my audiences of those great films. I even experimented every night trying to see if I could cover part of the slit to block the mag edge, and while I was able to reduce the rumble, it also reduced the audio level; turning up the gain was equally disastrous, just adding more hiss and scratch noise.

When I finally got to my next gig where I had some control, the first thing I did was to make them install penthouses and a full system. I vowed I would never run a mag print again using the awful optical peek-a-boo track.

A question -- when aprox did the KING AND I finally get a 70mm re-release? Interestingly, the image there extends underneath the two inside mag tracks....possibly to prevent black bars on top and bottom?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-30-2010 05:00 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
What exactly does it mean?
Frank.

It's the "Save Your Arse Track" [Big Grin]

And to think, we in Oz just called the format boring old "Commopt" [sleep]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: