Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Antenna TV Begins Airing 1/1/2011

Author Topic: Antenna TV Begins Airing 1/1/2011
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2010 09:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought this might be of interest to some on here. Judging from their schedule, there are going to be some really cool retro shows.

Antenna TV

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2010 08:01 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good. Other than Maude, all this stuff is currently available (chopped up) on channels on Dish Network.

Lets see someone play Ozzie and Harriet, or I Married Joan, or December Bride. There are tons of other shows out there that should have a chance!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-09-2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old TV is best watched on DVD, so you get the whole show without commercials. Classic shows are too badly edited to watch on regular TV anymore.

That said, anytime I accidentally flip to an episode of ANdy Griffith featuring Don Knotts, I'm pretty much riveted (at least till the next commercial comes on).

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2010 12:27 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The full schedule includes chestnuts like "Burns & Allen," "Father Knows Best" and "Dennis The Menace." Not too bad.

And in addition to "The Monkees," I finally can see young Micky Dolenz in "Circus Boy." Not too sure why I'm excited about that, though... [Confused]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar business model to THIS TV, both of which broadcast OTA on an existing stations digital subchannel. Here in the NYC metro area, I see they are going to be on WPIX, which currently has THIS TV. I wonder if they are going to add it, or dump THIS. Picture quality sucks on THIS TV, standard def and over compressed.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our local stations carries THIS TV. Another carries RTV, the Retro Television Network, with some good old shows, but for some, like Alfred Hitchock, the rotation doesn't go very deep.

Still, it's nice to get something like that off the air again. [Smile]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2010 06:38 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious what "toons" they are going to air in the "Totally Tooned In" time slots on Saturdays.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-09-2010 08:31 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like RTV for Adam-12 and Emergency. The station that broadcasts it locally drops in some old commercials for local businesses.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2010 03:10 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see someone have the guts to run "Amos 'n Andy", and CBS have the guts to license it.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2010 05:25 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The station here that will be airing it has been running color bars and tone in its place for the past couple months- I'll hate to see that go as it's the best thing on the air right now!

Might watch Antenna TV though if it's bug-free. Our local "This" station not only has the "This" logo always at the bottom, but it says "Sacramento" right under that, so you never forget what city it's transmitting from! I don't think The Outer Limits ever took place here though.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-16-2011 10:19 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jesse Skeen
Might watch Antenna TV though if it's bug-free.
In NYC it's bug-free on WPIX 11.4

Vintage TV without the Funny Smell.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-16-2011 04:58 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the same old cable TV rerun drivel that has been on for 30+ years to me. Somebody tell what's great about it. Crap is crap no matter how it gets there.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2011 07:16 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent them a thank-you note for not having a bug- it seems like at least some people who work there care about presentation. The digital signal on KTXL channel 40.2 has so much compression though that it's still rather painful to watch. The FCC should have set a minimum bitrate so there wouldn't be any compression artifacts, but seems like all they care about now is nobody saying any naughty words.

Old reruns are always fun when you're bored- this station wastes the late-night hours showing cut-for-TV versions of movies though which could be better spent running more old shows (guess I should be thankful they're not running infomercials instead!) If I were running a 'classic' TV network I wouldn't include any shows that were in stereo either- that's too new. One of the shows they run is "Married With Children", which was the first prime-time show on the Fox network, which I always hate for bringing an end to many great independent stations.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: