Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mac User Needs Advice - Buying a Windows Computer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mac User Needs Advice - Buying a Windows Computer
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-04-2010 09:06 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're having issues getting my laptop to play nice with the booth equipment. It's a school-issued computer, primarily for my office work but they hoped it could multitask as a booth computer.

It's not working out so well.

The computer was set up by the university's executive IT department -- they are great, btw. The laptop came with Windows 7 on it and some other special security software plus all the applications I need like MS Office and Adobe CS. But it doesn't allow me to operate (normally) as an admin. And they would not install an older version of Windows on it (like XP). There's an established policy for executive computers.

So...the workaround is this -- they've agreed to install whatever flavor of Windows I need if we buy another laptop -- and, after so many failed experiences with USB/Serial adapters, I want a computer with a built-in RS232 (aka COMM) port.

Here's the catch -- it's coming out of my boss' budget, so I have to go bargain hunting on Ebay for it...and I'm a Mac user so I don't know where to begin!

I have to connect with Dolby CP650, DMA8PLUS, QSC DCP300, Strand dimmer rack and probably also our routers -- haven't memorized them all but the AES router is by Evertz. And I'll probably need to run DRAS at some point.

What would YOU recommend??????

Which Windows OS?
Which make/model? How fast?
Any other info?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-04-2010 10:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for something cheap(-ish) on Ebay, try looking for a Dell D630 with 32-bit Windows XP. It isn't really amazing in any way, but it does have a built-in serial port and the build quality is better than average (though not amazing). These are a few years old now, but should be serviceable if well kept. You might want to replace the hard disk with a solid-state device.

Personally, I prefer the IBM/Lenovo laptops to the Dells, but they haven't had proper serial ports for a number of years. [Frown]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2010 02:05 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of buddies of mine buy/sell used computer equipment and can probably set you up with a good deal on a used laptop. Here's their site.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2010 03:04 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another good one (I'v been installed dozens as an IT consultant) is the Compaq NC6000.
(specs here)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-05-2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only item in that line up that is serial is the CP650...the others are USB. The CP650 DOES play nice with the Keyspan USB->Serial adapter. I also recommend the SocketCom brand of PCMCIA to serial adapters (if you have a puter with such a slot). My boss got an IBM/Leveno with a "dock" ...the dock had an honest to god serial port on it.

I'm surprised that Dell or Leveno or HP hasn't come up with an "A/V" computer line up that features the 9-pin com port in addition to other features that A/V techs would want (multiple NICs...and such).

Steve

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-05-2010 10:39 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The strand dimmer rack is also RS232 only. The strand guy believes the security measures on my laptop are wreaking havoc with that software. He says it would require circumvention of some security measure(s) installed on the laptop and the University doesn't want us to go there with my office laptop. But they seem okay with helping me get a dedicated service computer up and running. IIRC we had an issue getting the QSC software to play nice too.

My office laptop is also 64-bit (not sure what that means) and Dolby says it's not supported and their software may/may not run. There was also a question about whether Evertz would have issues with that or not. But that issue is a ways off, since we don't have the other racks here yet.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-05-2010 12:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9-pin RS232 serial ports are becoming very difficult to find on any new computer system. It's not surprising so many notebook computers lack them. They're not found on most new desktop machines either. If a built in serial port is really necessary you'll have better luck finding that feature on an old, used computer system.

RS-232 is a really old standard and I'm not so sure if it is even supported under a 64-bit operating system. Edit: did some searching and RS-232 can work under 64-bit but it looks like some people have some tricky issues dealing with it. The move from older 32-bit compiled operating systems to 64-bit is breaking a lot of old software and hardware. For instance, under 32-bit Windows XP Pro SP3 I can still run Adobe Type Manager and use Postscript Type 1 Multiple Master fonts. ATM won't work under the 64-bit version of XP. I don't think it will even work with the 32-bit versions of Vista or Win 7 either.

USB to Serial adapters can work well. I've had no problems with the Belkin model adapter I use with my old Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook. The real key for these adapters to work properly is giving the user ways to change the data format and baud rate.

I have used these kinds of adapters to allow computers to send data to LED-based electronic variable message centers. The EMCs aren't always built with the same settings. One may be set in 8N1 data format at a 9600 baud rate while another from the same company arrives running in 7E2 38400. Everything in the serial connection has to be running at the same settings otherwise it just isn't going to work. Sometimes you even have to go into Windows Control Panel's Device Manager to make sure the COM port settings there are correct.

In the last couple or so years manufacturers of electronic message centers have FINALLY moved away from those damned serial connections. Unfortunately, the newer WiFi and Ethernet connected units have more complicated issues -but at least they're compatible with new computer systems.

Regarding Administrator level access, I think such permissions are necessary to have RS-232 function fully and properly. In the context of LED message centers communicating via RS-232 I've seen cases where customers tried using message center software under a guest level account. It was all good until they tried transmitting messages to the sign. Windows would either block the operation or the message center software would crash. It simply would not work without administrator level permissions.

quote: Steve Guttag
I'm surprised that Dell or Leveno or HP hasn't come up with an "A/V" computer line up that features the 9-pin com port in addition to other features that A/V techs would want (multiple NICs...and such).
The bigger question I have is why are certain manufacturers of TV sets and home theater hardware still continuing to use 9-pin serial connectors on some devices when USB, Ethernet and even HDMI 1.4 (which includes Ethernet functions) can perform the same functions?

Additionally, why do the USB ports on so many things like HDTV sets and standalone Blu-ray players suck? The ports are stupidly limited on what they can do and what sorts of USB connected devices they'll "see." That's one of numerous reasons why the Playstation 3 kicks so much ass as a home theater and multimedia device.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-05-2010 01:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing wrong with RS232.

Advantages over other options are as follows (among others):

- it is a standard, and is supported by everything from desktop PC hardware to mainframes
- requires no special hardware or software--just a generic terminal program (typically included with most operating systems) will suffice
- plenty of existing equipment to allow remote access of RS232 devices (ever hear of a USB terminal server? me neither...)
- cables and adapters are easy to make and can be run over long(-ish) distances (depends on speed and quality of cable)
- it is a real-time, direct connection, and not subject to the latency of IP networks
- it avoids the security issues that would arise on an IP network if a device were able to accept random commands without authentication from anywhere in the world, and also avoids the complexity of implementing a suitable authentication scystem

Yes, the baud rates are annoying. In the IT industry, most stuff is 9600/8/N/1, no flow control, and sometimes 19200/8/N/1. The connectors are annoying, but this can be mitigated by carrying a couple of DB9->DB25 adapters (in various configurations), an RJ45<->DB adapter, and an adapter to flip the TX/RX pins. Six adapters and a cable will solve most of your RS232 issues. (Note that full RS232 cannot be implemented with a DB9 connector, as more pins are required.)

The remote-access thing is a big deal, at least for the IT end of things. In an unattended data center, it is critical to have access to serial consoles of every server, switch, router, etc. for remote maintenance and configuration work, especially if some network-related issue arises and needs to be fixed. This is easily done with a terminal server (used in reverse), which allows remote console access via ssh (or similar). Not having to send someone out to the data center to fix things saves substantial money and time.

Agreed with Steve--someone should make a laptop specifically for people who need to work with this stuff and market it as such. It would probably sell quite well.

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-05-2010 01:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
If a built in serial port is really necessary you'll have better luck finding that feature on an old, used computer system.
quote: Manny Knowles
I have to go bargain hunting on Ebay for it
Yes. I'm looking for a used one.

I figured many of y'all would have a certain make/model that you'd swear by. Maybe wish you still had it, or maybe you do still use it.

That's what I need -- a make, model and OS -- there's just too many choices out there, and I only want to do this once.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-05-2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our office notebooks is a Dell Inspiron 600m running XP Pro SP3. The thing has to be at least 5 or 6 years old. It still works just fine, although a tad bit on the slow side. Built in serial port.

quote: Scott Norwood
cables and adapters are easy to make and can be run over long(-ish) distances (depends on speed and quality of cable)
I don't know the exact cut-off in terms of cable length but at a certain point you have to go to RS-485. We have had to use RS-485 on a few message centers where the customer insisted on having a hard line run from the computer to the sign, but didn't want to spend the extra coin for a fiber optic connection. Some of that savings gets spent on surge protection from lightning strikes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-05-2010 02:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
There is nothing wrong with RS232.
Agreed, although Scott forgot to point out one other thing...it is SOLID. It just works and once you have the correct baud rate, it ALWAYS works. I greatly prefer to make my D-cinema projector connection via serial for precisely this reason. It is a no-bs solution that never fails. Ethernet is great and all, but if someone should connect an IP based item on the same network and assign it the same IP as in this example a projector, how well does it work then? What happens when someone creates a loop accidentally in the network while trying to troubleshoot something else? Bad news. Ethernet is easy so long as you know what you are doing, but serial never fails.

Manny, the Dell Optiplex line of laptops is ideal for this. I've had a D820, D830 and currently use an E6510. The D630 model is a no frills laptop that will do everything you need for tech work. Do note all of the new laptops, such as the E6510, no longer have a dedicated serial port, but Dell makes legacy extenders for their current models. It attaches to the laptop and you can leave it there all the time if you like, or it is easily removable if you want to leave it in your laptop bag.

Tip - if you are going to be doing B-chains, I would look for a high screen resolution so you can see your RTA and EQ controls side by side.

Buy from Dell's refurb site, not ebay. You get a full warranty.

D620

D630

D830 - I would recommend this model

(Always look for 7200RPM hard drive speed.)

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-05-2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, I am using a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 laptop that I bought NEW from Best Buy for $500. Comes with Win7 Home Premium, and I am using the Keyspan USB to serial adaptor and it works with Dolby, QSC and AMX hardware with NO issues.

Only thing I had to change was the "Compatibility Mode" on some of the software (AMX and QSC) to Win XP SP2 or 3.

I think you can still get this model brand new, probably cheaper now since I bought this over a year ago.

One thing: If you buy from Best Buy make them give you one that hasn't been "Geek Squad" tweaked. (A lot of unneeded software that they add.)

SPECS form Toshiba

Edit: A few places to get them under $500:

BH Photo Video

AMAZON

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-05-2010 03:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
If you buy from Best Buy make them give you one that hasn't been "Geek Squad" tweaked.
Actually I think you have that backwards, based on a recent Dell notebook purchase (by the way, Staples had the same exact model of Dell for a couple hundred dollars less than Best Buy so we bought it at Staples. But I digress.) The machines typically come from the factory loaded with all kinds of crapware, trial versions etc. Geek Squad's current pitch is to get you to pay them extra to *remove* all that stuff for you.

Anyway if you shop carefully you can get a really nice Windows notebook in the $500-$700 range.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-05-2010 05:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the "geek squad", use the Windows re-install CD and do it yourself. One of the main reasons why I love Dell so much is besides the build quality being very good and high reliability, they have next-day-repair-service for free during the warranty, you don't have to jack with Windows serial codes when lobotomizing the system and all of the drivers for your system are available at http://support.dell.com Each system has its own unique code. [thumbsup]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2010 11:03 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dell versions of Windows (starting with XP) have a BIOS check and as long as it is a Dell BIOS on a machine that came out with XP or later there is no "activation" required; it doesn't even ask for a product key.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: