Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 3D Scrapped on Harry Potter 7 Part 1 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 3D Scrapped on Harry Potter 7 Part 1
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2010 05:36 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Warner Bros. issued a statement this afternoon announcing it had scrapped efforts to convert the first part of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to 3-D, claiming it didn’t have enough time to adequately complete the process before the film’s Nov. 19 release date. “Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality,” the statement read. Meanwhile producer David Heyman reasserted his commitment to the “integrity” of J.K. Rowling’s source material; director David Yates added: “”This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.” Except for Clash of the Titans, but hey. Accidents happen.
source

So, a major studio is turning down millions in box office from the 3D bump by not doing another rushed conversion. A step in the right direction IMHO.

|  IP: Logged

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy they have learned from past mistakes. A bad conversion to 3D on such an important title would have caused audiences to lose confidence in the format.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2010 07:58 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many peope installed 3D just in time for this title.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-08-2010 08:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anyone want to see this on 2D? 3D is every bit as important as color... or sound!

Just kidding, I am dishing out loads of shit.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2010 10:56 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This gives them a bit of swagger back from the post 3D convert "Clash of the Titans' lashing.

More important than 'not being able to complete conversion' is the fact they will be able to double dip Part 1 in 3D just before release of Part 2. I would do it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-08-2010 11:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does "more time" enable them to do a bettern job of converting part 2? If conversions look like crap, they'll probably always look like crap...won't they?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-09-2010 01:07 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
How does "more time" enable them to do a bettern job of converting part 2? If conversions look like crap, they'll probably always look like crap...won't they?
Clash of the Titans looked MUCH worse than other 3D movies, including ones that were conversions.

Doug Willming
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2010 01:32 PM      Profile for Doug Willming   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Willming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conspiracy Theory: I suspect it has more to do with a double-dip...re-release it in 3D before Part 2 comes out.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-09-2010 04:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a 2D to 3D conversion to have any chance of looking good at all a great deal of time must be spent masking and extracting objects forward out of the image and filling in the blank area behind those objects. Much of this work must be done by hand. Various masking and extraction filters don't work well without a serious amount of human intervention.

Lots of skilled graphics people would have to work really hard on such a project. The process would also involve some serious managerial involvement to make sure the results looked consistent and to make difficult judgment calls on how certain shots should be converted.

IMHO, any movie studio deciding it wants an entire 2D movie converted to 3D only a few months out from theatrical release is being pretty ignorant of the conversion process and its demands of time.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2010 02:45 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bold step and a [thumbsup] for not screwing up the experience for people. If they want to do it they had to do it right. Admiting they cannot make it right needs more guts than making a pisspoor job.
Demetris

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-10-2010 05:19 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good move...especially from 'The studio that brought you Clash Of The Titans'.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-10-2010 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they got my memo.

Hey, Warner Brothers: BRAVO! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Seeing this movie in IMAX is on again for me.

(Of course, I can't help mentioning that had they SHOT it that way, it would probably be done by now.)

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2010 06:21 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Beginning of the end," as it were.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Theakston
"Beginning of the end," as it were.

of 3D? Not even close, there are more "3D" Films scheduled next year then this year and more the year after that.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just like HARRY POTTER was on the schedule. It's looking more and more like AVATAR was the peak of the arc, as it set unrealistically high expectations for the process.

Just my opinion, of course.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: