Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » itunes replacment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: itunes replacment
Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2010 07:47 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two years ago I bought a 120 gig iPod classic. I loaded iTunes, and started trying to load stuff into it. WHAT A PIECE OF SH*I! I could not set things up the way I wanted to set things up. I found that when you put things into an iPoop, they go into a black hole, and you can not copy things back out again. This thing is someone at Apples MAJOR BRAIN FART. I got frustrated, and through the thing in a drawer. I just learned that there is other software out there that can make the iPoop usefull. Has anyone used any of these programs? The author of the article that I just read likes "floola" .

Also, what MP3 ripper does everybody like?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2010 07:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an app out there called Pod to Mac that will let you copy things off of the iPod. I'll have to check out the one you linked to above, sounds pretty good. It really is ridiculous that they won't allow bidirectional travel of files. Apple really fucked that up. NOBODY can defend that crap.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2010 08:04 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woops, forgot to mention that I'm a PC guy, which is part of the problem with iTunes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-30-2010 08:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to iHell.

There used to be a program that could get the files, but I called my friend who is in the know on such things and he said Apple cracked down on their systems and currently he knows of no such way to get your files back.

Bear in mind the sound quality on the iPods of the last few years sucks pretty bad too. A friend bought a $40 mp3 player last year and we compared side by side with the same mp3 file and the same headphones against my $300 iPod and there wasn't even a comparison. The $40 non-iProduct sounded significantly better.

This is the sort of reason why I will no longer buy anything that starts with a lower case i.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2010 08:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, which model iPod do you have? Just curious as my iPod Touch sounds really good. Granted, you start messing with the bass and treble boost, etc controls and it will sound really bad really fast. I do like he ability to tell the songs exactly when to start, so instead of listening to the nonsense that is at the beginning of Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast each and every time, it just starts when the music starts (which is what I want to hear).

Just tried Pod-to-Mac and I can still transfer files off of my iPod. That multi-plat app linked to above might even better. I'll post after I try it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-30-2010 09:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its an iPod video. 300gb or something like that. I bought it because my car (at the time) only had an "iPod" hookup, not an external audio hookup. Then I found out it was near impossible to navigate the iPod through the radio's faceplate, but it wouldn't permit you to use the dial on the iPod either. Couple that with bad sound quality (EQ flat), being forced to use the evil iTunes and the experience left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-30-2010 09:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad - there might be a secret pushbutton on the car stereo that will let you use the iPod's controls directly. My Pioneer has a button with that function but it's not mentioned in the manual.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2010 09:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad that my car has a minijack line in. All control is done via the iPod. I'm glad I don't have to deal with an iPod wheel, though. I hate those.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-30-2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, although it's a moot point by now, but at least for the purposes of using the ipod in your car, there are products out there that would allow you to have the sound files themselves sent along the wires to let your sound receiver do the D/A conversion, which'll likely result in higher quality, esp if you used a good converter. Although, if you prefer leaving things at stock installation then obviously this won't help...

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2010 09:44 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the iPod video 30gb version and I have used it for 4-5 years now and I have had no problems with it. I usually buy songs from iTunes also. After I learned to burn a cd of the purchased songs and then rip them into Windows Media, I was happier with it. I keep all of my songs in iTunes and Windows Media format since we have several MP3 players that work on different formats.

A few months ago I purchased a Harman Kardon Drive + Play system which integrates your iPod into your car and gives you a screen that mimics the iPod screen to mount on your dash. I haven't installed it yet but I heard it's good. I got it on eBay for $20 new and I saw them at Best Buy for $400 when they first came out. We will see if it works okay. I hope to install it soon.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=DP%201US

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-30-2010 10:00 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the first generation 16 gb iPod Touch and a 120 gb iPod Classic and now listen to my music on them with a Shure SE210 noise cancelling headset . I have found the sound played back on the iPod Touch is better than the Classic but both of the device are wonderful and bring me a lot of joy when I go for a bus ride or fly. I listened to a collection of John Williams film music on my flight back to Honolulu from the West Coast last month when my friend in Sacramento allowed me to download his four CD set of the music into my iTune music collection on my Apple computer. The music was downloaded from my computer to my iPod Classic and sounded great especially with my Shure headset. I already have about 60 gb of music on my iPod Classic and most of the music were downloaded from my CD collection but I also have a lot of music I bought from iTunes. Someone once said iTune music sound like Loony Tunes but I veomently disagree. Most of my music are Classical and the ones I buy from iTunes are high quality European recordings and they sound wonderful.

-Claude

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2010 11:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
I keep all of my songs in iTunes and Windows Media format
Say what?? Does iTunes even recognize the WMA format? I'm pretty sure the iPod cannot play WMA files.

EDIT: Downloaded FLOOLA. It cannot see my iPod. It keeps saying it is not connected. Not compatible with iPod Touch. FAIL.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-31-2010 12:13 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression Apple finally changed iTunes to allow users to move files in and out of the software to back up the files more easily and efficiently as well as be able to move them around between Macs, PCs, iPods and other devices that can play iTunes flavored AAC files. I guess that's not the case right?

I have always been turned off by iTunes and iPods due to two serious deal-breaking problems. 1: the way iTunes restricts how the user can manage his legally purchased music files. 2: the needlessly, stupidly low 128kb/s bit rate common to iTunes AAC files. There is no justification for either.

I'm suspicious the music industry has been badly engineering its popular music with wave forms clipped all to hell just so the music CDs will sound equally loud and shitty on any stereo system or portable music device. That philosophy has to change.

If I buy any music files online I usually buy them from Amazon.com. Their files are in MP3 format at 256kb/s. The Amazon store is loaded in my Android phone. If I download a song to my phone it is very easy to copy the file from the phone to a computer or even to another USB attached portable music device (such as my $40 Sansa Clip+).

Another odd thing, apparently it's not a very straight forward process to create custom ring tones for an iPhone like it is for other phones. I'm only saying that because one of my co-workers has had no end of trouble trying to get a certain iTunes song to work as a ring tone. I looked up some things on making ring tones for iPhones (40 second time limit, change file extension to .M4R, etc.). But that doesn't answer questions about moving AAC files from iTunes or an iPhone into an external editor (such as Ringdroid) and back into the iPhone.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-31-2010 12:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The iTunes store doubled the bitrate of all audio a while back, not that I've ever purchased compressed audio in any form.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-31-2010 02:28 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Say what?? Does iTunes even recognize the WMA format? I'm pretty sure the iPod cannot play WMA files.
quote: Apple
Converting WMA Files

In iTunes for Windows, you can convert your unprotected WMA files to AAC files (or whatever file format is chosen in the Importing pane of iTunes Preferences) without changing the original WMA file. Simply drag the WMA files into your library in iTunes and iTunes does the grunt work, converting them for you. Windows Media Player 9 or later must be installed to convert unprotected WMA files. Protected WMA files cannot be converted.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: