Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How is HBO HD?

Author Topic: How is HBO HD?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 08:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to subscribe to HBO before I got a HD television but cancelled the service. Our local cable company is now running a HBO promotion that is not too exciting but the regular rate of $14.95 in addition to what I am paying for cable service sounded reasonable so I thought I would try it for a month. Although I will be getting all three HBO channels, only one will be in HD here in Honolulu. Are the other HBO channels in HD in other areas. One of the things that bothered me about HBO when I had a standard definition television was all of their movies that was released to theatres in scope were shown pan and scanned and they looked terrible. Are scope and matted movies 16X9 enhanced in HD and presented that way? If they are, how is the picture quality compared to other HD movie channes like MGM and others?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-13-2010 09:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem with HBO HD here...they are as good as other HD channels. Showtime, which generally doesn't suit me as well as HBO DOES tend to use the Letterboxed version of movies more than others.

In general, I like HBO and the products they produce (shows, movies, docs.). This does look to be a pretty dry month for them though.

Steve

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OUr Brighthouse Network cable system in Bakersfield gives us all HBO Channels with both West and east feeds in HD. And yes, they generally only use 16:9 for scope films, although a few do sneak in (The Doors for one)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-13-2010 09:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Dish Network I have 6 HBO channels, all in HD (HBO, HBO-2, HBO Signature, HBO Zone, HBO Comedy & HBO Latino) plus two duplicates (HBO West and HBO-2 West). The HD quality isn't near Blu-ray standards at all, but definitely much better than SD. I think Dish gives HBO a good bit more bandwidth than many of the other HD channels it offers.

Most movies shown on HBO are shown 16x9 regardless of aspect ratio. Sometimes there are exceptions. Certain movies distributed by Paramount have been shown in 2.39:1 on HBO, such as Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Patriot Games.

The main reason why I subscribe to HBO is for their original series and documentaries. Boardwalk Empire (coming this fall) looks like it ought to be really good.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 10:53 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

Do you also receive HBO with 5.1 sound?

-Claude

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 10:57 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I can say that I get all HBO HD channels with 5.1. However, in standard definition, only the main HBO channel has 5.1. And Bobby, thanks for the Paramount info on HBO. I wish HBO were more like Showtime in this regard.

As far as the bandwith problem, our cable system is using that new SOD technogoloy. Instead of putting all channels through the pipeline at once, only the most popular HD channels are on at any given time. For all the rest, only if someone actually turns to that channel will the cable co. open it up. Which is why for most channels you have to wait a few seconds for it to come on once you turn to that channel. Iritating at times. And now that SHOWTIME is available with HD on Demand, its getting a bit worse. Although our cable doesn't use as much compression as the satellite suplliers or ATT U-Verse.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-15-2010 12:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Do you also receive HBO with 5.1 sound?
Yes. I suspect the bit rate is on the low side. While the audio is often Dolby Digital 5.1 it doesn't have quite the level of clarity, channel separation and dynamics I hear on DVD or Blu-ray.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2010 12:23 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude - Concerning 5.1 sound...

All my digital channels are capable of it but many times a movie that was made with 5.1 will be broadcast with only 2 channels. I recently watched "From Dusk Till Dawn" which has a great 5.1 digital sound mix (was actually 8-channel in SDDS) and they played it in two-channel Dolby Surround.

I have found that typically the primary HBO channel has 5.1 while the add-on channels (HBO2, Signature, etc) are hit and miss as to whether you'll get the full 5.1 or a two-channel "Surround" version.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: